The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charlie4590
Hi again guys
THOSE WHO DID THE WEATHER CLIMATE CHANGE ESSAY - how did you structure yours? I'll give the basic structure of mine, can you say what you think please?

-Introduction
-Debates on natural climate change - holocene maximum and little ice age to debate "we are what is wrong"
-Then looked at Ice core analysis,co2 emmisions, UHI on a small scale which can become large scale, industrialisation and USA giving 22% of the world emmisions but having only 8%population to emphasize emmisions, deforestation to agree with Gore.
-Then looked at natural causes i.e. milankovitch circles of orbital shape changing and volcano's, astroids which can reduce global temperature to question gore
-I disagreed that it would be just natural causes because sea level rise has accelerated recently with 11 of the 12 warmest years from 1995-2006 to agree with Gore.
-Then looked at what we're doing to tackle it i.e. kyoto and the durban summit 2011, but criticised these as Kyoto didnt include China, and durban doesn't start til 2020 to say we're doing something, but further agree'd with gore that we need to do more as these aren't good enough
-Concluded strongly agreeing summarising what I had said and gave my own personal opinion.

Thanks! I think thats the jist of it aha, I managed to write four and a half pages which I was really shocked about, and have seen some people on here wrote 5+!

Hiya :smile: I think your structure seems a good one and is slightly similar to mine, although I didn't write about milankovitch cycles as i have no idea what that is!
Mine went something like this:

-Introduction
- Human causes so combustion of fossil fuels, deforestation and farming with a few facts in there like China being an NIC so releases more CO2 due to its rapid growth of industry. Also facts like 70% households own a car, each car produces 2.7 tonnes CO2 every year.

-Natural causes - talked about how the Earth goes in between periods. We are in an interglacial period now compared to previous glacial periods and ice ages.

-Explained what global warming is and talked about greenhouse gases, radiation etc.

-Then a little bit about sea level rise somewhere.

-Evidence for global warming - historical, physical and biological evidence.

-A little bit on responses as only had 10 mins left so talked about individuals recycling reducing waste at landfill. Another fact like in UK each household produces 400kg of waste. Also MOT emissions controls and catalytic converters. Can't remember much else that i wrote!

-Conclusion - gave my opinion that global warming is natural but is enhanced by humans.
Hi again guys
THOSE WHO DID THE WEATHER CLIMATE CHANGE ESSAY - how did you structure yours? I'll give the basic structure of mine, can you say what you think please?

-Introduction
-Debates on natural climate change - holocene maximum and little ice age to debate "we are what is wrong"
-Then looked at Ice core analysis,co2 emmisions, UHI on a small scale which can become large scale, industrialisation and USA giving 22% of the world emmisions but having only 8%population to emphasize emmisions, deforestation to agree with Gore.
-Then looked at natural causes i.e. milankovitch circles of orbital shape changing and volcano's, astroids which can reduce global temperature to question gore
-I disagreed that it would be just natural causes because sea level rise has accelerated recently with 11 of the 12 warmest years from 1995-2006 to agree with Gore.
-Then looked at what we're doing to tackle it i.e. kyoto and the durban summit 2011, but criticised these as Kyoto didnt include China, and durban doesn't start til 2020 to say we're doing something, but further agree'd with gore that we need to do more as these aren't good enough
-Concluded strongly agreeing summarising what I had said and gave my own personal opinion.

Thanks! I think thats the jist of it aha, I managed to write four and a half pages which I was really shocked about, and have seen some people on here wrote 5+!

Hello there, your structure looks pretty strong and you'll easily score high marks with that, especially on the synopticity front. I've posted my structure earlier but I'll do it again:
Introduction : Defined global warming, highlighted the media speculation behind it and introduced both arguments.

I went to talk about the greenhouse effect in detail and why global warming might be caused by humans (greenhouse gases, the whole lot) but also pointed out that only 19% of incoming infrared red radiation is absorbed by greenhouse gases. What about the rest?
I talked about evidence for global warming (ice cores, radiocarbon dating, seafloor analysis, cave paintings) Then evaluated the evidence from ice cores(C02 dissolves in water) and cave paintings.
Discussed other factors that may explain global warming ( Milankovitch cycles, earth's tilt, volcano eruptions, sunspot activity) and other periods of warming such as the Boreal period.
I wrote a paragraph near the end about why some countries may not want to take action if they will benefit from global warming. (Eg, tourism, easier to extract oil) and why some will (the USA with stronger tropical revolving storms, droughts, mass migration)
Concluded by stating that the rise in temperatures is more than likely to be happening but the extent to which humans are causing it is variable. I then mentioned how it's very difficult to even measure CO2 on a global scale and in the future the argument will become clearer and more definitive.
Reply 3322
In my ecosystem 40 marker I had a bit of a nightmare moment and read the question wrong and wrote about a case study and how its affected locally, so therefore talked about the Serengeti, the tourism issues and forest fires etc, will I get a straight 0 for this or can I still pick some marks up? Im stressing out so much its unreal...
Reply 3323
I can't even remember what most of the exam was about. Just chill out guys you have done all you could, just wait for results day :smile:
Reply 3324
Original post by MrProff
I can't even remember what most of the exam was about. Just chill out guys you have done all you could, just wait for results day :smile:

There lies the problem! I don't so much revision for it, an unbelievable amount, and the questions that came up where horrible, and when you doubt yourself as your writing the essay, my work just gets worse. It was very depressing. Aiming for an A* and most likely didn't get it.
Original post by joereed
There lies the problem! I don't so much revision for it, an unbelievable amount, and the questions that came up where horrible, and when you doubt yourself as your writing the essay, my work just gets worse. It was very depressing. Aiming for an A* and most likely didn't get it.

No point worrying about it now exams over! just forget about it :smile:
Hi again guys

-Introduction

Original post by psychstudent95
I'm assuming that you're talking about the essay? (If not, then I panic). I don't know, I'm afraid, I did the world cities essay. Sorry to not be of much help... :frown:

Original post by Ellie_May :)
Hiya :smile: I think your structure seems a good one and is slightly similar to mine, although I didn't write about milankovitch cycles as i have no idea what that is!
Mine went something like this:

-Introduction
- Human causes so combustion of fossil fuels, deforestation and farming with a few facts in there like China being an NIC so releases more CO2 due to its rapid growth of industry. Also facts like 70% households own a car, each car produces 2.7 tonnes CO2 every year.

-Natural causes - talked about how the Earth goes in between periods. We are in an interglacial period now compared to previous glacial periods and ice ages.

-Explained what global warming is and talked about greenhouse gases, radiation etc.

-Then a little bit about sea level rise somewhere.

-Evidence for global warming - historical, physical and biological evidence.

-A little bit on responses as only had 10 mins left so talked about individuals recycling reducing waste at landfill. Another fact like in UK each household produces 400kg of waste. Also MOT emissions controls and catalytic converters. Can't remember much else that i wrote!

-Conclusion - gave my opinion that global warming is natural but is enhanced by humans.

Original post by mariomario1
Hello there, your structure looks pretty strong and you'll easily score high marks with that, especially on the synopticity front. I've posted my structure earlier but I'll do it again:
Introduction : Defined global warming, highlighted the media speculation behind it and introduced both arguments.

I went to talk about the greenhouse effect in detail and why global warming might be caused by humans (greenhouse gases, the whole lot) but also pointed out that only 19% of incoming infrared red radiation is absorbed by greenhouse gases. What about the rest?
I talked about evidence for global warming (ice cores, radiocarbon dating, seafloor analysis, cave paintings) Then evaluated the evidence from ice cores(C02 dissolves in water) and cave paintings.
Discussed other factors that may explain global warming ( Milankovitch cycles, earth's tilt, volcano eruptions, sunspot activity) and other periods of warming such as the Boreal period.
I wrote a paragraph near the end about why some countries may not want to take action if they will benefit from global warming. (Eg, tourism, easier to extract oil) and why some will (the USA with stronger tropical revolving storms, droughts, mass migration)
Concluded by stating that the rise in temperatures is more than likely to be happening but the extent to which humans are causing it is variable. I then mentioned how it's very difficult to even measure CO2 on a global scale and in the future the argument will become clearer and more definitive.

Original post by kbr118
In my ecosystem 40 marker I had a bit of a nightmare moment and read the question wrong and wrote about a case study and how its affected locally, so therefore talked about the Serengeti, the tourism issues and forest fires etc, will I get a straight 0 for this or can I still pick some marks up? Im stressing out so much its unreal...

Original post by MrProff

Original post by joereed

Original post by Lisarh
No point worrying about it now exams over! just forget about it :smile:

Hi I am an as level student, got a quick question :smile:
Did any of you do the geography extended project?
Thanks.
Reply 3327
Original post by kbr118

It's tricky- I did the ecosystems essay and wondered whether going on about the Serengeti would get credited because human activity does effect the ecosystem in the local area, like local farmers causing desertification and poaching reducing biodiversity etc. In the end I just went with urban ecosystems in the uk and did heather moorland and conservation case studies, then went on about planned introduction of cane toads in Australia or something, but thinking about it I really don't see how you wouldn't get marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey is anyone doing UNIT. 4a on Friday? I can't find a thread for it and I need help!
I did a river investigation and one of hypothesis was depth increases further downstream. Sso we calculated the average depth at the 3 different sites. We presented out data using a line graph with the depth and width and it gave us a cross sectional area so we could compare the different depths. But how would we analyse this data and with what method!? We only had 3 results? The centre gave us more results on from other points along the river, including our ones. Could we use this?
Anyone need any help on 4a I can assist got 80/80 in jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't always read in between the lines enough for the fieldwork questions, so miss bits out, eg if a question asks why we chose our hypoth, I won't necessarily realise that you need to write about location as well as theory?

Is there any way I can almost guess the mark scheme and write the right things?

Thanks!
Original post by jacktomos95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes please! Thank god! I posted this not long ago.

I did a river investigation and one of hypothesis was depth increases further downstream. Sso we calculated the average depth at the 3 different sites. We presented out data using a line graph with the depth and width and it gave us a cross sectional area so we could compare the different depths. But how would we analyse this data and with what method!? We only had 3 results? The centre gave us more results on from other points along the river, including our ones. Could we use this?

Also what points could you make about "further developing or extending your investigation"? Thank you so much!
Original post by loopylamorna
I don't always read in between the lines enough for the fieldwork questions, so miss bits out, eg if a question asks why we chose our hypoth, I won't necessarily realise that you need to write about location as well as theory?

Is there any way I can almost guess the mark scheme and write the right things?

Thanks!

Hey I have the same problem. I don't answer the question properly. In one question asked before "explain how the location help with your aims" I described the location in detail and that's it.

During my revision I now started too:
Underline command words
underline keywords e.g aim, location
always link my points back to the question. Eg the location was one hour away so it was close meaning we could spend a long time there to carry out our investigation and study more characteristics of the river....
Something like that! (if you did rivers)

I found reading past mark scheme help too! It tells you what to include to get the high marks AND reading examiners reports to see what most people do wrong, odds are, if you have failed in this exam before or get low marks, you could be one of those people. They really help improve your answers and help you structure it.

I hope this is enough? 😊
Original post by jacktomos95

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always have issues with the section B skills questions :? I just fail to understand how you can write so much about questions, and sometimes I literally have no idea :frown: Any tips on understanding them? I know what they command words mean and stuff but.. I just never seem to have enough info.
does anyone know where i can get the jan 2013 paper for geog unit4a??
Thnkxx_xxx__X_
Original post by cheesypuff
does anyone know where i can get the jan 2013 paper for geog unit4a??
Thnkxx_xxx__X_

I don't know where u can find it but I did it and one of the questions was how do your conclusions relate to tour aim or something like that, analysing your data (was on a previous paper) method od data collection I think (or presentation sorry cnt exactly remember) and the first one was how does location relate to aim (was also on a previous paper but only once)
Sorry cante more helpful but my advice would be just do all the practice questins some of which you can easily learn model answers include data and explicit detail (say it like the examiners and idiot lol) good luck :smile:
Reply 3336
This paper was by far the hardest compared to past papers and questions. Weather and climate questions were so hard and restrictive to what you could say. Thanks a lot aqa.
People lets talk on 4a threadddd
Those who did physical 25 mark questions on tectonics, what did you put for the 10 marker managing earthquakes? I did kobe and sichuan
Kobe - school drills four times a year and aid kits to be bought with torches, radio etc. I then talked about radon sensors and technological buildings, however these weren't good enough.
Sichuan - school builders held back so that they could pocket the difference and ignored building regulations.
Reply 3339
Those who did physical 25 mark questions on tectonics, what did you put for the 10 marker managing earthquakes? I did kobe and sichuan
Kobe - school drills four times a year and aid kits to be bought with torches, radio etc. I then talked about radon sensors and technological buildings, however these weren't good enough.
Sichuan - school builders held back so that they could pocket the difference and ignored building regulations.

Wasn't the question about ways in which they can be managed?

Talked about different types such as early warning systems, monitoring, precautionary evac (but not feasible as it's all guesswork). Talked about protection from tsunamis

kind of split the 10 marker into distinct methods

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending