The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kitkat95
Anyone got any thoughts on what to include in an essay about polymers? All I can think of so far is:
- Starch- amylose and amylopectin
- Cellulose
- Structure of proteins
- DNA
- could the chain of water molecules in the cohesion of water count as a polymer?

Err nice try with that last one, but no.

You pretty much have it though - polypeptides, polysaccharides and polynucleotides.

Maybe it's worth learning a few of each not in the spec: keratin might be good. I'll search and find some more
Reply 3901
Original post by kitkat95
Anyone got any thoughts on what to include in an essay about polymers? All I can think of so far is:
- Starch- amylose and amylopectin
- Cellulose
- Structure of proteins
- DNA
- could the chain of water molecules in the cohesion of water count as a polymer?

enzymes,
antibodies...
Glycogen
Peptidoglycan=bacterial cell walls
Good luck in your exam tomorrow everyone! :h:
Reply 3903
Original post by problematic
Cohesion Tension theory (Xylem)

Base pairs AT CG (include how many of each to be fancy lol C-G is 3 Hbonds and AT is 2)

Cellulose structure - The point of myofibrils helping it's strength

The big enzyme topic - Helping it to form its specific active site

I also have a special one, classification :smile: lol so when scientists want to see how closely related two animals are, they use DNA hybridisation
(Seperating two strands at high temperature which breaks their H-bonds, then allowing complementary bases to join)

And PCR (the use of temperature to break the H-bonds to allow exposed nucleotides)

Hope that helps

Thank youuu! yep helps a lot initially i could only think of the base pairings lol x
Original post by Mocking_bird
"Control of/within living organisms"
Control of living organisms would be biological and chemical control of pests... which is relevant.

oh I see thank you. Probably will do this essay now. :smile:
Reply 3905
What is a DNA ladder?
Original post by DrewYouTwo
Err nice try with that last one, but no.

You pretty much have it though - polypeptides, polysaccharides and polynucleotides.

Maybe it's worth learning a few of each not in the spec: keratin might be good. I'll search and find some more

Haha I thought the last one might be stretching it a bit. Thanks :smile:
Reply 3907
what essays are everyone doing plans for?
Original post by MLogan
What is a DNA ladder?

Known lengths of DNA used to compare during gel electrophoresis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JessicaTSR
hmmmmmmm :redface: this is making me think twice now.. dilemmaaaa

I don't if this will help you but perhaps would be better to do the questions first and check your answers (aim to finish within in 1 hr 30) and then that would give you like 45 mins to do the essay in which you can look at the essay and spend like 5 mins planning it and you could add to the plan as you write your essay because you'll be thinking about what else could be included.
Can anyone just talk through IAA a little? I know that its produced in the shoot and diffuses down the shaded side, causing the cells to grow and bend towards light, but the application for things like IAA and gravity and stuff is just not working for me... Any extra information that can help me??
can any1 tell me the methods of in vivo
Reply 3912
What about an essay about the importance of ions in living organisms? Has that one came up before?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Can anyone explain 5)c)ii

I just haven't got a clue what's going on.

I thought it wouldn't matter how many times your restriction enzyme cuts the DNA, surely when you add up the pieces again, you would get the same number :s-smilie:
I'm sure it's already been written somewhere in the thread, but what do you usually need to get an A on this unit? I'm A+15 at the minute but can't see myself doing too well in this one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _jamie
What about an essay about the importance of ions in living organisms? Has that one came up before?

Dont think there would be enough topics from 3 of the units, i can only think of diffusion and neurotransmission
Hey guys, just a tip about the essay if you're looking for points. This never occurred to me, but my teacher suggested it and it works for me :biggrin:

When you want to get points for an essay, get the Spec in pdf format
Then say you wanted to know about ATP, instead of scanning it quickly, on the 'find' button, just search it up and it will highlight all the places where it's mentioned.
Original post by kingster123
can any1 tell me the methods of in vivo

Gene isolated using restriction endonuclease, plasmid cut with same endonuclease. Cleaved together via sticky ends with DNA ligase.

Plasmids introduced into cell via viral vector.

Antibiotic resistance markers are also used
Original post by James A
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

Can anyone explain 5)c)ii

I just haven't got a clue what's going on.

I thought it wouldn't matter how many times your restriction enzyme cuts the DNA, surely when you add up the pieces again, you would get the same number :s-smilie:

Before:
----------

Partial:
----------
--------
-----
---
--

After:
-----
---
--

The restriction enzyme action takes time, so a partially digested solution will contain a bit of everything (even strands of completely untouched DNA)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LitGeek94
Can anyone just talk through IAA a little? I know that its produced in the shoot and diffuses down the shaded side, causing the cells to grow and bend towards light, but the application for things like IAA and gravity and stuff is just not working for me... Any extra information that can help me??

Ok IAA works in two ways.

in phototropism on shoots,IAA will move away from the light by diffusion and then cause elongation of cells on the shaded side.

In phototropism in roots, IAA will diffuse down to the shaded side, but as it's in a high concentration, growth will be inhibited, meaning the top side will grow more, bending roots towards the ground.

In geotropism in shoots, IAA will move to the underside of shoots so the cells will elongate and push the shoot away from gravity.

In geotropism in roots, IAA will move to the lower side, but growth will be inhibited, so the root grows downwards.

Latest

Trending

Trending