The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by idk_ben
Could someone outline the individual differences approach for me please? :3

People are unique, so instead of studying the similarities between people it should be the differences that are studied between them. Behaviour which deviates from the norm is considered abnormal. Rules about what is normal won't apply to everyone. Behaviour can't be generalised to everyone, as people differ as individuals. Consequently, the approach utilises the case-study method which allows an in-depth investigation into abnormal behaviour and and typical areas of study include personality (Thigpen and Cleckley), addictive/problem behaviours such as Gambling (Griffiths) and abnormality (Rosenhan).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 481
Original post by lankan-gurl
Does anyone think it is a risk to revise just the individual differences approach, the two perspectives and then 2 or 3 issues.. I really am not motivated to study the other approaches ..

I think 2 of them will have to come up and so long as you've revised them you should have covered your bases! I'm just trying to finish revising Reductionism then i'm calling it a day and revising Section A! I wish I could revise them all but I don't have the time or motivation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 482
Ok c: Any tips on section A? Observations? Does anyone have an essay on observations? :smile:
Reply 483
Original post by Cryl
Ok c: Any tips on section A? Observations? Does anyone have an essay on observations? :smile:

Unlikely it'll get asked as they asked it in Jan 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mkhan9035
I think 2 of them will have to come up and so long as you've revised them you should have covered your bases! I'm just trying to finish revising Reductionism then i'm calling it a day and revising Section A! I wish I could revise them all but I don't have the time or motivation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which 2 do you think will come up? I'm hoping individual differences or one of the perspectives and agreed.. I definitely do not have enough motivation or time to revise everything else.. in a way i feel quite bad but its not like we didn't have other exams to revise for. :colondollar:
Reply 485
Unlikely it'll get asked as they asked it in Jan 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I really hope so. Observation will make others in the exam hall observe my death. >.<
Reply 486
Which 2 do you think will come up? I'm hoping individual differences or one of the perspectives and agreed.. I definitely do not have enough motivation or time to revise everything else.. in a way i feel quite bad but its not like we didn't have other exams to revise for. :colondollar:

I've called it a day. I'm going to go through everything in my head and may be on this thread, but I can't do detailed revision anymore. Exhausted. Revise individual differences c:
Reply 487
Could someone read over my section B question B for the behaviourist perspective, I feel as if I've wrote irrelevant things

-Bandura study on aggression: when the children were exposed to an aggressive role model who would act violently towards the bobo doll through hitting, punching and kicking, the child would produce imitative aggressive acts compared to the children who were exposed to non-aggressive role model. This shows how behaviour can be learnt through social learning theory and how we can learn behaviours through observing another person. The study supports the way we learn behaviour from other people through imitating their behaviour.
-Watson and Raynor study on Little Albert: every time little albert was shown a white rat, the experimenters made a loud bang. He learnt to associate white rats with fear and so acquired a phobic response. This study shows that behaviour can be learnt through classical conditioning since little albert associated fear with the white rat, therefore he has learnt this behaviour.
Tbh for those who revising a few thinking they are likely to come up, its not safe to do so after the G543 option paper. In jan that paper didnt have any stress questions, and I revised stress the most thinking it would come up on the recent one, but there was no stress. OCR can soo unpredictable, having done two exams this summer both of which gave me abit of shock when i looked at the questions.

For those studying 2/3 approaches I suggest, just briefly outline all of them so your not completely blank if an unexpected question happens to come up.
Original post by Cryl
I've called it a day. I'm going to go through everything in my head and may be on this thread, but I can't do detailed revision anymore. Exhausted. Revise individual differences c:

LOL I wish I could call it a day but it feels as though my brain hasn't taken anything ive learnt in :/
Reply 490
People are unique, so instead of studying the similarities between people it should be the differences that are studied between them. Behaviour which deviates from the norm is considered abnormal. Rules about what is normal won't apply to everyone. Behaviour can't be generalised to everyone, as people differ as individuals. Consequently, the approach utilises the case-study method which allows an in-depth investigation into abnormal behaviour and and typical areas of study include personality (Thigpen and Cleckley), addictive/problem behaviours such as Gambling (Griffiths) and abnormality (Rosenhan).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank-you!
Reply 491
can someone please post an example answer to Section A part b) the 19 mark question - I can't open documents on my laptop so please copy and paste it instead!
Wilson and Daly, Brunner and Gudjonsson. Any other A2 individual differences studies out there?
Reply 493

Well I hope either Individual/Behaviourist comes up (as an approach) and Reductionism (as a debate) or maybe Case-Studies or Observations as a Section B question! i really don't know! And yeah, I had too many other exams to focus on but *fingers crosses* i got a high A in my G542 resit, and i've got an A in G541 and a B in G543 so ideally to get an A overall i need 64-70 ums on G544 (depending on Grade boundaries) but I want an A on this paper cause its so doable! Uurghh anyway good luck for tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by revise7869
Tbh for those who revising a few thinking they are likely to come up, its not safe to do so after the G543 option paper. In jan that paper didnt have any stress questions, and I revised stress the most thinking it would come up on the recent one, but there was no stress. OCR can soo unpredictable, having done two exams this summer both of which gave me abit of shock when i looked at the questions.

For those studying 2/3 approaches I suggest, just briefly outline all of them so your not completely blank if an unexpected question happens to come up.

True.. but is one to do at last minute? I'm mainly focusing on a few approaches; developmental, ind diffs and physiological not social or cog.. I think I know enough about social anyhow. Besides for the G543 predictions that people made about topics that hadn't come up so far I revised those and I felt quite happy when I saw those questions :biggrin:
I know, I had too many other exams to focus on but *fingers crosses* i got a high A in my G542 resit, and i've got an A in G541 and a B in G543 so ideally to get an A overall i need 64-70 ums on G544 (depending on Grade boundaries) but I want an A on this paper cause its so doable! Uurghh anyway good luck for tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 496
Original post by Bobby Greenberg III
Wilson and Daly, Brunner and Gudjonsson. Any other A2 individual differences studies out there?

I have Thigpen and cleckley as well
Reply 497
Original post by idk_ben
I have Thigpen and cleckley as well

Mcgrath and Watson Rayner :smile:
Reply 498
I think its safe to say if Individual Differences or Behaviourist didn't come up, i'd actually fail :frown: Please OCR don't be a**holes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which approach does griffiths belong to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending