The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 5 6BI05 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by super121
Anything that appears in the pre-release as that's the bit that's highly synoptic

Sorry i have to ask but is that on the edexcell site?
Reply 1061
Original post by tsr1
how does lactate makes NAD available? can someone explain please? thanks

During anaerobic respiration, pyruvate is reduced to lactate using hydrogen from NADH2 thus also forming NAD.
Reply 1062
Do you mind me asking how are you revising?
Original post by Nathan@
Is this a Pm or Am exam, i think its PM , is that right?

Yep afternoon exam.
Original post by I Hate Edexcel
Ahhh bricking it.

U asked a nice quesion related to the article, now i cant find it. can u please repost it? and did u get the answer?
Original post by ViolentMind
Sorry i have to ask but is that on the edexcell site?

The pre-release? Then yes
The pre-release? Then yes

yeah is it the specification report?
Original post by ViolentMind
yeah is it the specification report?

It's under assessment materials, but it's locked for some reason. It's definitely been posted on this thread a few times so have a look back :smile:
can somebody answer these questions plz:

1)Explain why large bodied animals need a well developed circulatory system?

2)Describe the events in the eukaryotic mitotic cell cycle?
Reply 1069
I'm using the cgp revision guide but i usually find that the questions are slightly weird and different to the spec. Perhaps a more twisted view of the spec if you know what i mean
It's under assessment materials, but it's locked for some reason. It's definitely been posted on this thread a few times so have a look back :smile:

Ohh yeah my mind wandered there, i have it thanks.
Reply 1071
We do the normal biology but i do find that the book does waffle a bit
im aiming 30/90 -_-
good luck ppl
Original post by hussaincute
can somebody answer these questions plz:

1)Explain why large bodied animals need a well developed circulatory system?

2)Describe the events in the eukaryotic mitotic cell cycle?

1) Large bodied organisms have a low surface area : Volume ration (we've got a lot of volume and not a lot of surface area), so trying to diffuse or absorb all the air and nutrients through our skin just wouldn't work because the diffusion pathway is far too long and the cells on the deep inside of our bodies would never get the stuff they need, and if they did, it'd only arrive there three hours later! So we need a well developed circulatory system, which branches out to all the tissues and cells of the body so nutrients and Oxygen etc etc can be transported there quickly.

2) How much detail do you want? You've got Interphase which is split up into G1 (Gap 1: growing and doing its normal stuff), then S (synthesis) in which DNA replication occurs, then G2 (gap 2, more growth and just doing its normal Cell-y functions, also organelles duplicate in prep for cell division). Then it is Mitosis and we all know what happens there (Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase and Telophase). Finally it is Cytokineses, which is when the cell actually splits into two.
Reply 1074
Yeah, that's true the diagrams are good in the green book btw what are your predictions for tomorrow
Original post by iwantopas19
im aiming 30/90 -_-
good luck ppl

LOL me too, I literally need anything around there to get into uni. Still kinda worried as lately I've somehow forgotten everything I've learned.
can sombody plz answer that in simple words:

explain why ATP production decreases when oxygen is low in the tissues?
Reply 1077
More unit 5 questions:

Describe the structure of a muscle fibre. (4)

Spoiler

Explain how plants grow towards light. (6)

Spoiler

State two consequences of exercising too little and two consequences of exercising too little. (4)

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1078
hi does anyone have skype and want to do a chat about the exam i did it for english and it was really helpful
Reply 1079
Original post by Volltorb
so i did and the mark scheme had "3.5 x 10-3 ÷ 1.7 x 10-6" but the answer was "2059 {million / x 10 6 }/ 2058.8 {million / x 10 6 } / 2 058 823 530 ;" ???

Read the question again - it say that there is x force in a million fibres or something like that. I got stuck there too then realised I had missed out a bit of the question. It is mysoin filaments to fibres to muscule - not just filaments to muscle. This will make sense if you look at the question again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending