Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hieuluu
Thanks for the reply!
That's what everyone says, to concentrate on doing my PS. The thing is I have no idea how to, so it's a good idea that I start now :/
And btw, looking at your username, are you Vietnamese by any chance? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am indeed; frm HCMC. You?:smile: If you would like to have additional feedback on your PS once you've had it, I could help with.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Heya guys :smile: i'm thinking of going into LSE for either maths+economics and Actuarial science (because you can put 2 courses down if i've read correctly)

quick question: what do you think is better? Maths with Economics OR Maths and Economics
I know that the latter is balances and former is a major in maths but...I think I prefer more maths but yeah..:confused:
Reply 22
Original post by tigerz
Heya guys :smile: i'm thinking of going into LSE for either maths+economics and Actuarial science (because you can put 2 courses down if i've read correctly)

quick question: what do you think is better? Maths with Economics OR Maths and Economics
I know that the latter is balances and former is a major in maths but...I think I prefer more maths but yeah..:confused:

I see you don't do further maths. By not having it you will strongly be disadvantaged especially applying to Maths and/with Economics. Even says "Further Maths is highly recommended" on the website. I'd advise to pick it up to at least AS to enhance your application.
Reply 23
Original post by B-Stacks
I see you don't do further maths. By not having it you will strongly be disadvantaged especially applying
to Maths and/with Economics. Even says "Further Maths is highly recommended" on the website. I'd advise to pick it up to at least AS to enhance your application.

Yeah that's worrying me slightly :frown: I don't know if I would be able to do that, if I go 6 maths exams next year it will be the equivalent right?

Can I can get away with it if I have something 'extra'? e.g. right now i'm enrolled in a programme where you get an assignment set by a tutor doing a phd...mines on maths and I actually have to use further maths knowledge in it...
Also the essay has to be written at uni level and you actually get a 1st, 2:1 etc at the end!

Edit: also thank you for the response :smile:
Reply 24
Potential gap year re-applicant here. Got rejected from Maths with Economics this year!
Reply 25
Original post by CD315
Potential gap year re-applicant here. Got rejected from Maths with Economics this year!

Do you mind sharing what stats did you have when you was applying the first time?
Reply 26
Original post by benq
Do you mind sharing what stats did you have when you was applying the first time?

Sure.

GCSE: 5A*s 5As 1B
AS: AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics (100%, 98%, 96%, 94% - I added these in UCAS)
A2 Prediction: A*A*A*A*

Think it was down to my PS or else GCSEs..
Reply 27
Original post by CD315
Sure.

AS: AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics (100%, 98%, 96%, 94% - I added these in UCAS)

Jesus...if you didn't get in with that then we all have no chance at all I am afraid.
Reply 28
Original post by benq
Jesus...if you didn't get in with that then we all have no chance at all I am afraid.

I wouldn't say that. I don't think my PS was as good as it could have been for them.
Reply 29
Original post by CD315
I wouldn't say that. I don't think my PS was as good as it could have been for them.

To be honest, with an average of 97% you should have been offered a place even if your PS was basically saying "I am applying for economics only to get a job at Goldman" :cool:
Reply 30
Original post by benq
To be honest, with an average of 97% you should have been offered a place even if your PS was basically saying "I am applying for economics only to get a job at Goldman" :cool:

Hahaha. If only :tongue:
Reply 31
Original post by CD315
Sure.

Holy crap
That means I will have absolutely no chance for Econ :O
How on earth did you get rejected!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys

Hoping to apply for Philosophy and Economics in 2014 :smile:
Reply 33
hello everyone:smile:) going to apply for International Politics and History in 2014 :smile: the only one problem - I had a grade in my national program which is equal B in UK this year... well, it is from my native language. will it fate a reject, huh?:biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by tigerz

For both maths and and maths with, the first year is the same, and its the same for Acturial Science aswell. After first year, its basically 75% maths for maths with econ, and 50% for maths and. So I would simply apply based on how much maths you would like to do.

I wouldn't apply to two different courses for any university, simply because I don't think universities like it. You can swap courses if you do well in first year (from maths to acturial), so go with the course you like the best :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by slayer12
For both maths and and maths with, the first year is the same, and its the same for Acturial Science aswell. After first year, its basically 75% maths for maths with econ, and 50% for maths and. So I would simply apply based on how much maths you would like to do.

I wouldn't apply to two different courses for any university, simply because I don't think universities like it. You can swap courses if you do well in first year (from maths to acturial), so go with the course you like the best :smile:

Thank you for the feedback :biggrin: Yeah I realised the first year is same so i'll do that! Only reason why i'm going to apply to Actuarial science OR Maths+Econ is because of the change in entry requirements! (actuarial is lower)

Hmm I see, I think I prefer maths with economics as I want it to be mostly maths...on the other hand because I didn't do further maths is it more appropriate to do the 50-50 mix?
Reply 36
Original post by tigerz
Thank you for the feedback :biggrin: Yeah I realised the first year is same so i'll do that! Only reason why i'm going to apply to Actuarial science OR Maths+Econ is because of the change in entry requirements! (actuarial is lower)

Hmm I see, I think I prefer maths with economics as I want it to be mostly maths...on the other hand because I didn't do further maths is it more appropriate to do the 50-50 mix?

Haha yep actuarial is lower in entry requirements, and also I think its less competitive than maths and economics

In terms of further maths, I definitely feel you should think about doing AS further maths next year. This will only be three exams ( fp1 , and two applied units), which isn't that hard at all and LSE would like you to have a further maths AS
Reply 37
Original post by slayer12
Haha yep actuarial is lower in entry requirements, and also I think its less competitive than maths and economics

In terms of further maths, I definitely feel you should think about doing AS further maths next year. This will only be three exams ( fp1 , and two applied units), which isn't that hard at all and LSE would like you to have a further maths AS

Haha yup, alright i'll talk to my teacher about it, i'll just replace psychology AS with further...
I hope I get in!
Reply 38
I'm gonna apply for accounting and finance at LSE- its my first choice uni :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by CD315
Sure.

sorry to hear you didn't get the offers you wanted! where else did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending