The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I've found that too :yep: I used to be ridiculously under confident, to the point of literally having panic attacks :s-smilie: Being thrown in at the deep end by going into entirely new environments with a group of total strangers has helped so much. In the past I would need three days to psych myself up for a simple phone call, and even then I would have to write down everything that I wanted to say, but not any more. Sounds utterly stupid but its a small victory for me :redface:

I know exactly what you mean! Now I just pick the phone up and call, while before I would sit there planning it out, and I would always put off doing it! I know exactly what you mean! :redface:
Countryfile :woo:

Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
I know exactly what you mean! Now I just pick the phone up and call, while before I would sit there planning it out, and I would always put off doing it! I know exactly what you mean! :redface:

Heh, I still prefer to write in but I think the increase in confidence has been useful for me :h:
Reply 1342
Aww, that sucks :frown: Hope you recover soon :smile:

I should have done this: :wink:

[video="youtube;b0IDjOFIVnw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0IDjOFIVnw[/video]

It wasn't mayo, it was ice cream! :wink: Now all we'll need to do is add a dash of vanilla to the milk tank, then free milkshake for all! :lol:

The vet where I worked had looooooads of books :teeth:. I was surprised at just how much of the nursing textbook I understood :biggrin:

P.S. You need to keep to this side (i.e. the best side :wink: ) of the forum, matey :tongue: .

Why thankyou :smile:

Omg hahaha! I would probably laugh if I saw someone do that than run along the platform Ahah! You should done that just before the train then turn, adjust yourself and walk on the train :cool: :tongue:

Uch, silly me! How awesome would that be?!

P.S. Don't you worry ma'am I am not a two timer :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1343

Countryfile :woo:

Heh, I still prefer to write in but I think the increase in confidence has been useful for me :h:

I'm exactly the same! My phone confidence is a bit low and I prefer to write or email, I don't know why it just feels so awkward but then after you feel like "why was I panicking?" :lol:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
I'm exactly the same! My phone confidence is a bit low and I prefer to write or email, I don't know why it just feels so awkward but then after you feel like "why was I panicking?" :lol:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends for me :smile: Lately I have been calling though just because it feels like they are more likely to say yes? Sounds weird but hey ho! :biggrin:
Original post by CanineVet
Why thankyou :smile:

Omg hahaha! I would probably laugh if I saw someone do that than run along the platform Ahah! You should done that just before the train then turn, adjust yourself and walk on the train :cool: :tongue:

Uch, silly me! How awesome would that be?!

P.S. Don't you worry ma'am I am not a two timer :tongue:

On one of the old vet threads someone posted a picture of themselves milking a cow into a cup of tea, which I thought was pretty damn awesome :tongue: ! I wonder, if we grazed the cows on the grass in Willy Wonka's factory, would they produce chocolate milk? :h:

That's right, Veterinary is your one true mistress :sly: :lol:

Why are us vetties so underconfident? :tongue: The reason I like writing/emailing in is because I have a record of exactly what I told them and I know that they definitely have my contact details written down correctly :yep:
Are you a potential 2015 Vet app? :smile: Welcome to the thread :biggrin:

2014 or 15 :P Thank you :smile: although if this is what I'm up against I have no chance haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have any of you guys done any work experience at an abattoir? Also how do you get a placement at a farm? I desperately feel like I need more work experience right now!! The only thing I have right now is shadowing at a vet clinic and 6 months at a cattery!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chaarlotte
2014 or 15 :P Thank you :smile: although if this is what I'm up against I have no chance haha

Don't be like that! You still have the whole of summer to get experience, don't be so hard on yourself :h:

Have any of you guys done any work experience at an abattoir? Also how do you get a placement at a farm? I desperately feel like I need more work experience right now!! The only thing I have right now is shadowing at a vet clinic and 6 months at a cattery!

Depends what sort of farm. I have a long term placement at an urban farm/petting zoo thing, but I've also started doing a few afternoons milking cows at a dairy. I'd argue that the latter is more important, as this is a working environment. In my experience farmers aren't too fussed about letters or anything, for my dairy placement I just phoned up and arranged dates. For my urban farm I emailed in, although they interviewed me afterwards.

I'm afraid I haven't been to an abattoir yet, I'd consider this as more of an 'icing on the cake' placement, there are a few basics I'll need to cover first. For you, I'd suggest getting a couple of weeks at a stable of some sort, as well as one or two weeks at a farm (dairy is probably best), some time at a large animal vet (i.e. farm or equine) and perhaps a kennel or rescue centre? Depending on how much shadowing you did, you might also want to do a bit more in a small animal practice. The recommendation is at least 10 weeks (Liverpool's minimum requirement), of which 4 weeks should be clinical work and 6 weeks animal husbandry. You've probably missed the boat for lambing this year, but that would be good too. Your cattery and shadowing experience sounds great so far though! There's a thread at the top of the forum, the 'Work Experience Bible', which has all the information you could ever need, just thought I'd mention it in case it was useful. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Depends what sort of farm. I have a long term placement at an urban farm/petting zoo thing, but I've also started doing a few afternoons milking cows at a dairy. I'd argue that the latter is more important, as this is a working environment. In my experience farmers aren't too fussed about letters or anything, for my dairy placement I just phoned up and arranged dates. For my urban farm I emailed in, although they interviewed me afterwards.

I'm afraid I haven't been to an abattoir yet, I'd consider this as more of an 'icing on the cake' placement, there are a few basics I'll need to cover first. For you, I'd suggest getting a couple of weeks at a stable of some sort, as well as one or two weeks at a farm, some time at a large animal vet (i.e. farm or equine) and perhaps a kennel or rescue centre? Your cattery and shadowing experience sounds great so far though! There's a thread at the top of the forum, the 'Work Experience Bible', which has all the information you could ever need . :smile:

Thank you so much! I'm on the mobile app but I'll look at the thread as soon as I can :smile: what's the dairy farm like? And sorry, this is really nosy, but what did you say when you phoned them up? I'm really shy and talking on the phone has always been accompanied with great panic :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much! I'm on the mobile app but I'll look at the thread as soon as I can :smile: what's the dairy farm like? And sorry, this is really nosy, but what did you say when you phoned them up? I'm really shy and talking on the phone has always been accompanied with great panic :/

It should be viewable from the app. Although it is quite a lengthy read I will admit :tongue: Anyway it's here if you'd like a quick look.

The dairy farm is great so far! Very different do doing a few milking demonstrations to the public. I'm amazed at how clean the place has to be kept. I already knew a bit from working with the cows at the urban farm, but I'm learning a great deal at the dairy. Sorting out all of the clusters can be a bit awkward but hopefully I'll become accustomed as I do more days there.

I was exactly the same :colondollar: Firstly, for dairy work I'd phone up quite late (around 6pm?), as this is when the farmer is least likely to be busy. After that it's just something along the lines of "Hi my name is XXX, I was wondering if you would be willing to take me on for XXX days/weeks on XXX dates for some veterinary work experience." Chances are you're not the first person who has asked to go there for wex, the farmer will probably know the sorts of things that you'd like to see/do. If you're still anxious, I find that it helps if I have some notes next to me, that way I won't forget anything that I want to say. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
It should be viewable from the app. Although it is quite a lengthy read I will admit :tongue: Anyway it's here if you'd like a quick look.

The dairy farm is great so far! Very different do doing a few milking demonstrations to the public. I'm amazed at how clean the place has to be kept. I already knew a bit from working with the cows at the urban farm, but I'm learning a great deal at the dairy. Sorting out all of the clusters can be a bit awkward but hopefully I'll become accustomed as I do more days there.

I was exactly the same :colondollar: Firstly, for dairy work I'd phone up quite late (around 6pm?), as this is when the farmer is least likely to be busy. After that it's just something along the lines of "Hi my name is XXX, I was wondering if you would be willing to take me on for XXX days/weeks on XXX dates for some veterinary work experience." Chances are you're not the first person who has asked to go there for wex, the farmer will probably know the sorts of things that you'd like to see/do. If you're still anxious, I find that it helps if I have some notes next to me, that way I won't forget anything that I want to say. :smile:

Thank you for your help :biggrin: I phoned up a few local farms but none of them offered anything or didn't pick up, so I'll ask around to see if people have any links (I just got mine off the Internet from a quick google search). I sent some emails to the ones that I could :smile: there are absolutely no lambing farms or zoos around where I live though :P the dairy farm sounds really interesting! I was kind of worried but I'm feeling much better now :smile: thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Back from the farm :biggrin: Bit of an odd day, starting with a phone call informing us that 'there is a giraffe in the toilet'. After retrieving the (stuffed) giraffe from outside the loos, I went back into the office and the farmer thought I was holding a dead chicken :lol: . Cleaned out the calves and goats, put cream on one of the ponies' sweet itch, caught myself on the electric fence :rolleyes: , fed and watered piggies, made milk for the lambs, made biggest mess in the world in the process :lol: , gave farmer permission to shoot me in the head :biggrin: , fed lambs and micro piggies and walked 5 and a half miles home :biggrin:

Thank you for your help :biggrin: I phoned up a few local farms but none of them offered anything or didn't pick up, so I'll ask around to see if people have any links (I just got mine off the Internet from a quick google search). I sent some emails to the ones that I could :smile: there are absolutely no lambing farms or zoos around where I live though :P the dairy farm sounds really interesting! I was kind of worried but I'm feeling much better now :smile: thanks again!

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get anything booked, keep trying though! :smile: CanineVet is from Glasgow, perhaps he might be able to point you towards some places? As for zoos, I think 5 Sisters Zoo is inbetween Glasgow and Edinburgh. It might be a bit of a journey depending on where you are, but that could be an idea?
(edited 10 years ago)
Back from the farm :biggrin: Bit of an odd day, starting with a phone call informing us that 'there is a giraffe in the toilet'. After retrieving the (stuffed) giraffe from outside the loos, I went back into the office and the farmer thought I was holding a dead chicken :lol: . Cleaned out the calves and goats, put cream on one of the ponies' sweet itch, caught myself on the electric fence :rolleyes: , fed and watered piggies, made milk for the lambs, made biggest mess in the world in the process :lol: , gave farmer permission to shoot me in the head :biggrin: , fed lambs and micro piggies and walked 5 and a half miles home :biggrin:

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get anything booked, keep trying though! :smile: CanineVet and Hollyheartsgoats are both from Glasgow, perhaps they might be able to point you towards some places? As for zoos, I think 5 Sisters Zoo is inbetween Glasgow and Edinburgh. It might be a bit of a journey depending on where you are, but that could be an idea?
Just to say I'm not from Glasgow :P Scottish though so close enough haha! I'd be happy to help if I could but I don't really have any placements like what you are looking for :frown: I am maybe about 2 hours away from Glasgow as well so I don't think that would be much help anyhoo! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Just to say I'm not from Glasgow :P Scottish though so close enough haha! I'd be happy to help if I could but I don't really have any placements like what you are looking for :frown: I am over 2 hours away from Glasgow as well so I don't think that would be much help anyhoo! :biggrin:

Ahh sorry, I don't know why I had it in my head that that's where you were from! :colondollar:
Just to say I'm not from Glasgow :P Scottish though so close enough haha! I'd be happy to help if I could but I don't really have any placements like what you are looking for :frown: I am maybe about 2 hours away from Glasgow as well so I don't think that would be much help anyhoo! :biggrin:

It's ok :smile: I'm open to any animal-related suggestions! Transport isn't a problem unless they're in the Scottish highlands or islands :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that you couldn't get anything booked, keep trying though! :smile: CanineVet is from Glasgow, perhaps he might be able to point you towards some places? As for zoos, I think 5 Sisters Zoo is inbetween Glasgow and Edinburgh. It might be a bit of a journey depending on where you are, but that could be an idea?

The zoo isn't too far away! Thank you :biggrin: I just had a quick look through CanineVet's profile and let's just say the competition is intense! But I'll message him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The zoo isn't too far away! Thank you :biggrin: I just had a quick look through CanineVet's profile and let's just say the competition is intense! But I'll message him :smile:

He has an insane amount of wex, much more than anyone else on the thread :colondollar:
Reply 1358
It depends for me :smile: Lately I have been calling though just because it feels like they are more likely to say yes? Sounds weird but hey ho! :biggrin:

Yeah I know what you mean, makes it more personal and powerful :tongue:

On one of the old vet threads someone posted a picture of themselves milking a cow into a cup of tea, which I thought was pretty damn awesome :tongue: ! I wonder, if we grazed the cows on the grass in Willy Wonka's factory, would they produce chocolate milk? :h:

That's right, Veterinary is your one true mistress :sly: :lol:

Why are us vetties so underconfident? :tongue: The reason I like writing/emailing in is because I have a record of exactly what I told them and I know that they definitely have my contact details written down correctly :yep:

Ahahaha! Would that not be a bit risky without pasteurising it etc. Ahaha but still is quite funny :lol:

No, not a mistress, my lover. Eternal lover :tongue:

I know it is a strange common factor. Yeah I like that too, decreases chances of error. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1359

Posted from TSR Mobile

He has an insane amount of wex, much more than anyone else on the thread :colondollar:

Replied :wink: And so what? Like 80% of that is from the same place and you guys are catching up rapidly! I'm gonna be behind in a few weeks plus I have little to none booked for the summer :frown:. Veterinary is my lover but she can be a cruel b*tch sometimes (for not letting get work experience in a LA vets :tongue:) :lol:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest