The Student Room Group

AQA UNIT 5 Biology synoptic sample essays or sample essay plans!!!! HELP!!

Hello I'm doing AQA bio unit 5 and having troubles with the synoptic bit! :frown:

I was wondering if anyone know any websites that have it or if anyone has any sample essays or sample essay plans that they could pm to me, I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks!! :smile:
Reply 1
These are from the AQA website:
The different ways in which organisms use ATP
How the structure of cells is related to their function
The structure and functions of carbohydrates
How bacteria affect human lives
The biological importance of water
The ways in which different species of organisms differ from each other
Describe how the structures of different polymers are related to their
functions.
Why offspring produced by the same parents are different in appearance.
The importance of hydrogen bonds in living organisms
The movement of substances within living organisms
How the structure of proteins is related to their functions
The process of osmosis and its importance to living organisms
Energy transfers which take place inside living organisms
Inorganic ions include those of sodium, phosphorus and hydrogen.
Describe how these and other inorganic ions are used in living organisms.
Reply 2
And you could try and order this book because I reckon it would help you in terms of structuirng essays and it gives 20 examples written out:
AQA A2 Biology: Writing the Synoptic Essay by Robert Mitchell
(they have some on ebay and i bought it cos i couldn't be bothered to plan the essays myself) :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by artyfroggy
And you could try and order this book because I reckon it would help you in terms of structuirng essays and it gives 20 examples written out:
AQA A2 Biology: Writing the Synoptic Essay by Robert Mitchell
(they have some on ebay and i bought it cos i couldn't be bothered to plan the essays myself) :smile:

oh i wish i'd read this earlier and would have bought this book!
does it have any gems/lifesavers about structuring the essay? :smile:!!
Original post by cza
oh i wish i'd read this earlier and would have bought this book!
does it have any gems/lifesavers about structuring the essay? :smile:!!

I ordered it and it came the next day!!
Reply 6
ooh, but wont come tomorrow cos sunday, hmm rang my local whsmiths but they dont stock it! nevermindd! thanks!
Reply 7
I wanted that book but it was out of stock. This has me worried!
Original post by ef8888
Hello I'm doing AQA bio unit 5 and having troubles with the synoptic bit! :frown:

I was wondering if anyone know any websites that have it or if anyone has any sample essays or sample essay plans that they could pm to me, I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks!! :smile:

Hi!! I just came across a website that may help!! There is a lot to read on there, but I found it useful!! There are lots (20!!) sample essays!! Hopefully you get a chance to read some and look at the structure of these essays as exemplars!!
http://w1.qehs.net/files/docs/exam_resources/Year12/biology/biology_a2_sample_synoptic_essays.pdf

A few other hints my teacher gave us were to:

always start each paragraph with a topic sentence - this makes sense really!! Just let the examiner know right from the off what that paragraph is about :smile:

always link back to the question at the end of each paragraph to make sure you are staying on track :smile:

if you are talking about animals then keep all the animal stuff together in the essay before moving on to plant stuff - basically don't jump between plants and animals in the different paragraphs :smile:

be strict with your timing :smile:

get the relevant information down, but don't waffle :smile:

(a tip for the whole paper) remember to tell the story - but again no waffling!! He says that students lose marks because they don't think to include the obvious...especially for the essay, for example, if you are talking about enzymes then don't start the story half way through, let the examiner know what an enzyme even is!! :smile:

keep calm - if you're stressing then you are likely to forget everything you know because you are focusing on your stress. Just breathe and relax and you'll be surprised at what you remember :smile:

do a plan!!!!!!! Even if it is only a quick 5 minute plan, do one!! Even if you don't have time to finish the essay, the examiner will be able to see your plan and you could get credit for it (personally I find this helps a little too when you know that something needs to be included in an essay but you don't remember much about it other than 'it was something about T cells...whatever they are') :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck to everyone for tomorrow!! :smile:
Reply 9
Does anyone have any ideas for the hydrogen bonding one? I can only think of water transport in plants, protein structure and DNA and RNA base pairing? Are there any more?
Thank you! :smile:
hydrogen bonds make amylose spiral and cellulose long straight crosslinked chains
Original post by goosegooseholly
Hi!! I just came across a website that may help!! There is a lot to read on there, but I found it useful!! There are lots (20!!) sample essays!! Hopefully you get a chance to read some and look at the structure of these essays as exemplars!!
http://w1.qehs.net/files/docs/exam_resources/Year12/biology/biology_a2_sample_synoptic_essays.pdf

A few other hints my teacher gave us were to:

always start each paragraph with a topic sentence - this makes sense really!! Just let the examiner know right from the off what that paragraph is about :smile:

always link back to the question at the end of each paragraph to make sure you are staying on track :smile:

if you are talking about animals then keep all the animal stuff together in the essay before moving on to plant stuff - basically don't jump between plants and animals in the different paragraphs :smile:

be strict with your timing :smile:

get the relevant information down, but don't waffle :smile:

(a tip for the whole paper) remember to tell the story - but again no waffling!! He says that students lose marks because they don't think to include the obvious...especially for the essay, for example, if you are talking about enzymes then don't start the story half way through, let the examiner know what an enzyme even is!! :smile:

keep calm - if you're stressing then you are likely to forget everything you know because you are focusing on your stress. Just breathe and relax and you'll be surprised at what you remember :smile:

do a plan!!!!!!! Even if it is only a quick 5 minute plan, do one!! Even if you don't have time to finish the essay, the examiner will be able to see your plan and you could get credit for it (personally I find this helps a little too when you know that something needs to be included in an essay but you don't remember much about it other than 'it was something about T cells...whatever they are') :smile:

I hope this helps and good luck to everyone for tomorrow!! :smile:

Hi. I was hoping if you could get a new link as when I click it. it says it cannot be found

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending