The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Hello all,

I'm bored.
So I decided to browse TSR, after my rather long hiatus.

I still think I'm past this place but boredom has won over lol.

How are you all doing? Anon I'm sorry to hear of your miscarriage :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much :smile: Thankfully the time around the due date is very busy, so I'll have lots to keep me and my mind active and distracted.

That's the thing, I never quite understood before just how much it's true... the father falls in love when he sees the baby, the mother falls in love as soon as she knows it's there. The love I felt is still there and the maternal feelings have started to die down a little, but I don't think they'll ever truly be gone, and I'm not sure I want to lose them.

My thoughts are with you and thank you so much for being so understanding x

Trust me, you'll never lose those feelings and you're quite right not to want to. A baby, however much he/she had developed, it not something you can just forget about. It's in important thing in your life that you will learn to live with rather than forget about. But you will :smile:.

Should have been my baby's second birthday yesterday and I was fine. I had a bit of a wobble leading up to it because I didn't know how I'd feel, but I was fine :smile:. So time does heal xx

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Hello all,

I'm bored.
So I decided to browse TSR, after my rather long hiatus.

I still think I'm past this place but boredom has won over lol.

How are you all doing? Anon I'm sorry to hear of your miscarriage :frown:

Nat, we will never truly leave. (We're Facebook friends btw I'm not just a mad stalker).
Trust me, you'll never lose those feelings and you're quite right not to want to. A baby, however much he/she had developed, it not something you can just forget about. It's in important thing in your life that you will learn to live with rather than forget about. But you will :smile:.

Should have been my baby's second birthday yesterday and I was fine. I had a bit of a wobble leading up to it because I didn't know how I'd feel, but I was fine :smile:. So time does heal xx

Nat, we will never truly leave. (We're Facebook friends btw I'm not just a mad stalker).

been over 8 months though since I've been on here :wink:
I'm just so bloody bored tonight!

And you're quite entitled to be a mad stalker as well as a facebook friend though haha. I love mad stalkers. They make me feel special :tongue:

*hugs* for yesterday, even though you were fine.
Original post by Kater Murr
Have you guys ever used cloth/reusable nappies?

We're thinking about doing it with pretty much 100% reusables (bar maybe a back-up set of disposables for travelling etc.) and wondering about all the different types!

I'm way way too lazy to bother with cloth nappies to be honest. I have to do 1-2 loads of washing a day as it is, and it would be a real faff worrying about having to bring a poo-filled nappy home with me if I had been out and about. I don't find the idea of carting a mucky nappy around with me all day particularly appealing.

But that's just me though. Other people seem to like them fine, so I guess everybody is different.

I have a question for people who have children.. would you advise against bringing up a child in a flat? Does anyone do so, or did anyone live in a flat when they were young? Only because I'm about to buy one for my boyfriend to live in (we can't live together at present, long story, but I'm needed at home) and it would of course be easier if I could just move in when I'm ready, but if it's not suitable to bring up a child in then I'm wondering whether it's worth it if we'd only have to move in a few years anyway (or however long it takes).

When a child is very young it's fine, but when they're a bit older and wanting to play out, it might be more inconvenient.

I mean, I'm sure lots of kids have been brought up in flats and it has been perfectly okay for them, but for myself I prefer a house so the kids can play out, otherwise I'd feel that they were a bit cooped up, unless it was a ground floor flat of course.

Plus stairs might be annoying with a pram.

It's not the end of the world though.
When a child is very young it's fine, but when they're a bit older and wanting to play out, it might be more inconvenient.

I mean, I'm sure lots of kids have been brought up in flats and it has been perfectly okay for them, but for myself I prefer a house so the kids can play out, otherwise I'd feel that they were a bit cooped up, unless it was a ground floor flat of course.

Plus stairs might be annoying with a pram.

It's not the end of the world though.

Yeah I was planning (although quite probably all kinds of financial planning go out of the window when you have children as I expect it costs a bomb at first/forever) to be in a flat for a little while and hopefully save up for enough for a deposit on a house.. I'd have whatever the flat was worth as a deposit though as I'll own that outright which should help. But being self employed is a pain in the bum with regards to getting a mortgage, so I'm better buying something I can afford properly for a few years. Knowing my lucky I'll only have kids when I'm 82 anyway by the time we get round to it, and I'll be in the papers trying to balance my zimmer in one hand and baby in the other.

----
Partner's mood swings with regards to children are giving me whiplash. Seriously. Sometimes he swerves the discussions when I attempt them (which, to be fair, is a lot of the time.. as I've said, planning helps me cope with what happened before.. not always talking about babies, but often about flats, houses, deposits etc.. although possibly that's just called "adult life"!) but LAST night he was texting me saying how much he'd like it if we could name the baby after his brother if, when it shows up, it is a boy...... I'm very glad he's getting involved and showing some kind of interest, but his brother has a name that I would give to no child, ever, not even as a middle name. So he got annoyed because I'd happily name him after MY brother, but he's called "Jack" so that's possibly the most mundane thing EVER!

Only I would be having arguments about baby names ten years (hopefully not, but you know what I mean) before any baby is likely to be born. Haha.
Yeah I was planning (although quite probably all kinds of financial planning go out of the window when you have children as I expect it costs a bomb at first/forever) to be in a flat for a little while and hopefully save up for enough for a deposit on a house.. I'd have whatever the flat was worth as a deposit though as I'll own that outright which should help. But being self employed is a pain in the bum with regards to getting a mortgage, so I'm better buying something I can afford properly for a few years. Knowing my lucky I'll only have kids when I'm 82 anyway by the time we get round to it, and I'll be in the papers trying to balance my zimmer in one hand and baby in the other.

----
Partner's mood swings with regards to children are giving me whiplash. Seriously. Sometimes he swerves the discussions when I attempt them (which, to be fair, is a lot of the time.. as I've said, planning helps me cope with what happened before.. not always talking about babies, but often about flats, houses, deposits etc.. although possibly that's just called "adult life"!) but LAST night he was texting me saying how much he'd like it if we could name the baby after his brother if, when it shows up, it is a boy...... I'm very glad he's getting involved and showing some kind of interest, but his brother has a name that I would give to no child, ever, not even as a middle name. So he got annoyed because I'd happily name him after MY brother, but he's called "Jack" so that's possibly the most mundane thing EVER!

Only I would be having arguments about baby names ten years (hopefully not, but you know what I mean) before any baby is likely to be born. Haha.

haha well if it helps, I seriously had to talk Phil out of the name Quinn when we started having kids. He was a bit obsessed about it, and I really really didn't want it.

Tell your OH that you have your heart set on Gunther and nothing will sway you lol. Maybe he'll shush for a while then :-p
haha well if it helps, I seriously had to talk Phil out of the name Quinn when we started having kids. He was a bit obsessed about it, and I really really didn't want it.

Tell your OH that you have your heart set on Gunther and nothing will sway you lol. Maybe he'll shush for a while then :-p

Scarily enough, he'd probably be thrilled!!
Hey guys I thought I would say hi.
I graduated uni last year but realised it was the wrong course.
But I did manage to have my DS in the middle of it haha.

So hello!
I'm way way too lazy to bother with cloth nappies to be honest. I have to do 1-2 loads of washing a day as it is, and it would be a real faff worrying about having to bring a poo-filled nappy home with me if I had been out and about. I don't find the idea of carting a mucky nappy around with me all day particularly appealing.

Well, regarding one point there - I've heard that when it comes to poo, the liners catch everything. They're flushable - you just stick a liner in the nappy, and when you change it you bundle up the liner, throw it in the toilet, and flush - and then all you're carrying around with you is wee. Which, yes, is still not ideal - I'd probably have disposables for long day trips out though.
Original post by maxandmummy
Hey guys I thought I would say hi.
I graduated uni last year but realised it was the wrong course.
But I did manage to have my DS in the middle of it haha.

So hello!

hello :smile: congrats on graduating...even on the wrong course lol.

Well, regarding one point there - I've heard that when it comes to poo, the liners catch everything. They're flushable - you just stick a liner in the nappy, and when you change it you bundle up the liner, throw it in the toilet, and flush - and then all you're carrying around with you is wee. Which, yes, is still not ideal - I'd probably have disposables for long day trips out though.

wow I'd love to see a liner contain everything lol. Even a disposable nappy isn't infallible :-p The amount of times I've had to change poo that has squirted out of the nappy (up the back, or out of the leg-holes) it's just insane lol.

You could be right though, they could be excellent liners :smile: Still I wouldn't fancy it myself.
Oh and I suppose I haven't mentioned anything about my situation at the moment.

I'm 9 days from my due date with baby number 4.

I'm also clearly certifiably insane. This has indeed been pointed out to me several times. Still though I guess these things happen.

I'm also clearly certifiably insane. This has indeed been pointed out to me several times. Still though I guess these things happen.

Congratulations PMP :biggrin:
Original post by Annie72
Congratulations PMP :biggrin:

thanks hun x

Oh wow, I had no idea you were expecting another! Congratulations. Boy or girl, or mystery?

I am 1 of 4 and it was awesome, it's also great now we are all adults! :smile: I would have more if we could afford it. :frown:
Oh wow, I had no idea you were expecting another! Congratulations. Boy or girl, or mystery?

thank you.
Mystery :smile: Baby elephant probably lol.
I'm massive, and I'm drained, and my back is killing. Just want this to be over!

This one was definitely NOT planned. I was in complete denial about it for ages, even when my period was a no-show, I was like "it'll come, no problem". Honestly didn't think I could be pregnant.
What a tit I was :s-smilie::redface:

Well anyway hubby has had the snip now. NOOOOOOO more babies. I've had enough!

Original post by balloon_parade
I am 1 of 4 and it was awesome, it's also great now we are all adults! :smile: I would have more if we could afford it. :frown:

That's nice to hear you say that :smile: The way my three bicker sometimes it drives me mental lol.

That's nice to hear you say that :smile: The way my three bicker sometimes it drives me mental lol.

I know what you mean about bickering, especially when they are tired! Drives me insane, it's always over the most ridiculous things too. :rolleyes:
And they still argue no matter how old they get ......however they do argue less than when they were small.
recent pics of my troublemakers

Spoiler

Can't quite believe Lydia is gonna be 8 in a couple of months time (end of Sept). It's flown.
Can't believe how much they've grown!! How much everyone's grown.

Moving out soon with the other half, living at his till we get a place and he's started suggesting getting an extra bedroom as a nursery. Think he might be joking but not sure..! We're both in line for promotions at work at the moment (I'm considering a band 6/junior sister post available in the next 6 months) and it feels like the next year we may be financially in the right place.

However I'm in the camp you can't financially prepare for children- or prepare at all, he seems to think you can...views?

Quick Reply

Latest