The Student Room Group

EU Ban on Animal Testing

So I'm somewhat confused by the ban, and don't want to come across as stupid but I have tried researching into this and can't seem to find an answer.
If the ban is in place, then how come I can still walk in to Boots or Superdrug and buy Revlon, L'Oreal, Maybelline etc when they all test on animals? Shouldn't they have been removed? Thanks if anyone can help me out :smile:
Reply 1
What ban?

Nobody's ever going to ban animal testing outright, in order to sell chemicals to humans you have to prove they're safe for human use, and in order to test that you've got to first test it on animals. Sure, the final mixture might not have been tested on animals, but the ingredients must have.
Reply 2
Original post by Hopple
What ban?

Nobody's ever going to ban animal testing outright, in order to sell chemicals to humans you have to prove they're safe for human use, and in order to test that you've got to first test it on animals. Sure, the final mixture might not have been tested on animals, but the ingredients must have.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21740745
Oh and not true at all! Plenty of makeup brands etc are totally animal cruelty free! No testing whatsoever.
Reply 3
The ban is on use of animal testing for cosmetic reasons im sure. And I doubt it affects non-EU companies that we import from america etc.
Reply 4
Original post by -strawberry-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21740745
Oh and not true at all! Plenty of makeup brands etc are totally animal cruelty free! No testing whatsoever.

Wow, I'm surprised :s-smilie: I suppose they've already tested enough ingredients on animals to know what's safe and what isn't though.
Reply 5
Original post by The_Duck
The ban is on use of animal testing for cosmetic reasons im sure. And I doubt it affects non-EU companies that we import from america etc.

Yeah it is, but the ban has been 'upgraded' to cover testing done outside the EU and then sold in the EU, so I don't understand how those companies are still selling here?

Original post by Hopple
Wow, I'm surprised :s-smilie: I suppose they've already tested enough ingredients on animals to know what's safe and what isn't though.

Yeah I guess so but even so they don't need to do it any more, there's plenty of other methods. And even if they did have to test on animals they don't need to go to the extent of injecting them until they die because that's disgusting :frown:
Who actually cares
Reply 7
Yeah I guess so but even so they don't need to do it any more, there's plenty of other methods. And even if they did have to test on animals they don't need to go to the extent of injecting them until they die because that's disgusting :frown:

I see a need for testing cosmetics on animals before humans as cosmetics (well, if we assume a need for cosmetics), but you're right, injecting stuff into them is pointless and cruel.
Reply 8
Original post by Don'tJudgeTHOUGH
Who actually cares

Everyone should! They INJECT poor animals with products until THEY DIE. It's not like they have a little bit of shampoo rubbed into them. It's cruel.

Original post by Hopple
I see a need for testing cosmetics on animals before humans as cosmetics (well, if we assume a need for cosmetics), but you're right, injecting stuff into them is pointless and cruel.

I don't even see any need for it to be honest, I'd be willing to rub a bit of foundation into my skin to see what happened if it meant animals don't have to be pointlessly be killed. It's not like a foundation would kill me, seeing as it has basically the same ingredients as every other foundation in the world.
Reply 9
Everyone should! They INJECT poor animals with products until THEY DIE. It's not like they have a little bit of shampoo rubbed into them. It's cruel.

I don't even see any need for it to be honest, I'd be willing to rub a bit of foundation into my skin to see what happened if it meant animals don't have to be pointlessly be killed. It's not like a foundation would kill me, seeing as it has basically the same ingredients as every other foundation in the world.

i would agree with you but you're coming across as a PETA like fanatic trying to make it seem like these companies have some unwarranted hatred and agenda against animals and are being purposfully inhumane to get their kicks. that doesn't help anyone.

if the animal is killed by the foundation or whatever chemicals they are testing, then it is more than likely you would be too. again, they are not sadists going around slaughtering animals for a laugh. they are looking to make money and make sure the products they sell to make that money are actually going to be able to be sold. i disagree with animal testing on cosmetics but being irrational just makes you seem like a crazy person.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
The main issue is whether or not the testing is necessary. I don't honestly believe that cosmetics testing on animals is necessary as cosmetics are a luxury. But animal testing for essential medicines that have a legitimately necessary purpose can still be cruel however, will not only go towards saving human lives but also the lives of other animals. Many forget that many drugs that are used for human treatments are sometimes the same for animals.
Reply 11

If you're that confident, then there's no harm in testing it on animals first :wink:
As someone who hates animal cruelty more than pretty much anything, I can't stand animal testing. For drugs is a a grey area but cosmetics I regard as outright wrong. Revlon stopped it years ago, bastards are L'Oreal should do the same. I'm pretty sure they have banned animal testing for cosmetics in the EU but not USA which is where these products are tested.

In fact when I got pretty curious about this a couple years ago I researched it and was sickened by what I found. Literally look it up, there are so many reasons why testing on animals for cosmetics is illogical at the very least.

Sorry about the rant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Moura
i would agree with you but you're coming across as a PETA like fanatic trying to make it seem like these companies have some unwarranted hatred and agenda against animals and are being purposfully inhumane to get their kicks. that doesn't help anyone.

if the animal is killed by the foundation or whatever chemicals they are testing, then it is more than likely you would be too. again, they are not sadists going around slaughtering animals for a laugh. they are looking to make money and make sure the products they sell to make that money are actually going to be able to be sold. i disagree with animal testing on cosmetics but being irrational just makes you seem like a crazy person.

soooooo right!!!.....its a SLIPpery slope towards becoming/sounding like an animal rights fanatic and being inflammatory or defammatory about companies who decide to test their products is legally punishable!! :O
This is such a HIGHLY emotive/sensitive issue and I'm afraid if you (OP) were within reach of me now I would be tickling you by way of response!! :smile:)
Original post by Moura

No, you didn't quite understand me. The animal doesn't get killed by the foundation if it just has it rubbed on its skin. It has the chemicals in the foundation in a much stronger form rubbed in its eyes and on its broken skin and injected into it until it dies. If the animal doesn't die, it is decapitated after the experiments.
Now I don't know about you, but I don't understand how any reputable company could do this. People have the totally wrong idea about animal testing.

Original post by Billie4810
The main issue is whether or not the testing is necessary. I don't honestly believe that cosmetics testing on animals is necessary as cosmetics are a luxury. But animal testing for essential medicines that have a legitimately necessary purpose can still be cruel however, will not only go towards saving human lives but also the lives of other animals. Many forget that many drugs that are used for human treatments are sometimes the same for animals.

No it's completely unnecessary, you're right! They have so many more methods they can use to test if it's safe that animal testing is such an outdated practice. However I do totally understand animal testing for drugs and agree with that only if it is not done to extreme measures and cruelty. In fact I believe it's a legal requirement of drugs testing now.

Original post by Hopple
If you're that confident, then there's no harm in testing it on animals first :wink:

But there's so many companies that don't that none of the others need to! :frown:

Original post by deathhead
As someone who hates animal cruelty more than pretty much anything, I can't stand animal testing. For drugs is a a grey area but cosmetics I regard as outright wrong. Revlon stopped it years ago, bastards are L'Oreal should do the same. I'm pretty sure they have banned animal testing for cosmetics in the EU but not USA which is where these products are tested.

In fact when I got pretty curious about this a couple years ago I researched it and was sickened by what I found. Literally look it up, there are so many reasons why testing on animals for cosmetics is illogical at the very least.

Sorry about the rant.

Revlon still test on animals :frown: It came out last year that they've been lying to everyone for 20 years :/ This post comes closest to answering my question, is it because they test in the USA? Because I thought the ban now covered that :frown:

Original post by Heather11
soooooo right!!!.....its a SLIPpery slope towards becoming/sounding like an animal rights fanatic and being inflammatory or defammatory about companies who decide to test their products is legally punishable!! :O
This is such a HIGHLY emotive/sensitive issue and I'm afraid if you (OP) were within reach of me now I would be tickling you by way of response!! :smile:)

I don't really understand what you're getting at... I haven't been inflammatory or defammatory about any companies. I just said I don't agree with the testing they do on animals, and I know many, many people agree with me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
If you've seen the state of some livestock farms, I doubt animal testing for cosmetic products would shock you. I'm not saying it's not wrong but it's not the worst issue.

Are you sure the products you see at Boots are tested on animals? They might only be selling those which are not tested on animals.
Original post by Pinkhead
If you've seen the state of some livestock farms, I doubt animal testing for cosmetic products would shock you. I'm not saying it's not wrong but it's not the worst issue.

Are you sure the products you see at Boots are tested on animals? They might only be selling those which are not tested on animals.

I have, and it makes me feel sick. I only ever buy free range eggs too, I don't care if they cost more.
Yep, definitely. There's a giant list on PETA's website of brands that test on animals and a lot of the big ones are on there.
I'm surprised it's still necessary tbh, pretty much every cosmetic ingredient must have been tested by now. Anything else like slight changes in the ratio of these could be tested on paid human volunteers I'd have thought.

As for testing new medications on animals or cancer treatments (causing cancer to occur in lab rats, then trying to treat it), I do think that's valid, but clearly animal rights folks may disagree.
Reply 18
I think they can't have a cruelty free status because they still sell to china, which have a law where products have to be tested on animals before they can be sold, stupid I know

Some companies have just withdrawn from china - I think it was stila and smashbox which I am super happy about because they are great brands and I missed not being able to buy them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending