The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4360
Original post by James A
pH, temperature and water potential are three things that are controlled carefully by the body.

Does pressure count as something the body needs to control? (homeostasis).

dont think so, blood pressure/ heart rate is changed just to keep the things you mentioned in check aswell as o2

other pressure are detected by baroreceptors and used for reflexes/responce to a stimulus
Original post by Samj95
yeah ive always wondered that.. thought it was about the examiners interpretation, like not right but not wrong so if the examiner think from the rest of what you have said that it was right then they can give.. not sure though

and how science works questions are the ones i like :tongue:

do you have any tips for teh HSW questions? There aren't as many in biol5 as unit 4 tho.....
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW EVERYONE! Let's just hope AQA don't mess anything up & that everyone's brains are on the ball :ciao:
Reply 4363
Original post by jonnyb123
Phew, thanks! Man this stuff can get confusing!

Thanks, my problem wasn't with what a DNA probe is, but with where they get the DNA probes they add to the single stranded DNA fragments in genetic fingerprinting.

In genetic fingerprinting, it is a generic man made DNA fragment that attaches to core sequences.
Original post by Ravz94
Can anyone tell me what 'neutral' means on mark schemes? I've always wondered. Really dreading this essay and how science works questions tomorrow -.-

It means you don't get a mark for it unless you have two "neutral" points in your answer :smile:
Anyone have a list of all key terms in Biol5 AQA or the important key terms like a must know type ones. Would be really helpful thanks :biggrin:
describe the use of hormones in humans ESSAY POINTS ? WHAT WOULD YOU WRITE

I got

1) the oestrous cycle
2) insulin & islet of langeran
3) if you can t prod a hormone - dibeites 1 ( breif about type 2)
4) Second mesenger model ( adrenaline)
5)Effect of hormones - (wide spred ect) + where it happens ie blood
6)differances between hormonal and nervius systme

what else i mean i couldnt think of any thing from other units ?
Original post by Jake1313
In genetic fingerprinting, it is a generic man made DNA fragment that attaches to core sequences.

So which part of what I said was right, the first part or second part :s-smilie:

And if it's neither then can you explain please?
Reply 4368
There are two types of DNA probes, one that is complementary to a specific region/gene. This is used for identifying a mutated gene.
The one you are referring to is the one used in southern blotting/genetic finger printing. This is a generic man made DNA probe that annuals to core sequences in the DNA.

ohhhhh god i need to read up a bit then aha
does insulin activate an enzyme that catalyses glycogenesis? my textbook just says it converts it but i did the exam style Qs from the back of the bok and the MS says it uses and enzyme so im a little confused...
Reply 4370
Original post by kingpro88
describe the use of hormones in humans ESSAY POINTS ? WHAT WOULD YOU WRITE

I got

1) the oestrous cycle
2) insulin & islet of langeran
3) if you can t prod a hormone - dibeites 1 ( breif about type 2)
4) Second mesenger model ( adrenaline)
5)Effect of hormones - (wide spred ect) + where it happens ie blood
6)differances between hormonal and nervius systme

what else i mean i couldnt think of any thing from other units ?

Can say how it only affects target cells...potential for a huge paragraph on protein structure.
Use of oestrogen in gene expression
Use of the contraceptive pill
ADH in water concentration
Reply 4371
Original post by Samj95
ohhhhh god i need to read up a bit then aha

They are essentially the same, it's just the second anneals to a less specific sequence. Where as in locating genes, the DNA probe is highly specific as it is identifying one gene.
Original post by alevel123
There you go, took me a while to find it but it's really useful! Good luck tomorrow!

OMG you're the best, thank you so much :biggrin:
Reply 4373
So which part of what I said was right, the first part or second part :s-smilie:

And if it's neither then can you explain please?

send me the post, I've lost it
Reply 4374
They are essentially the same, it's just the second anneals to a less specific sequence. Where as in locating genes, the DNA probe is highly specific as it is identifying one gene.

okay thankyou:smile:
send me the post, I've lost it

First thing:

Ok so during genetic fingerprinting, after they have separated the strands and transferred the single stranded DNA fragments onto a nylon membrane they add DNA probes to it.

My question: Where are these probes taken from? Is it from the person or animal the extracted sample is being tested against? If so then does the subsequent number of bands correspond to the chance it was the person or animal's DNA? Because I'm not really sure what the book is saying..

Second thing:

So what you're saying is the DNA probes will be the same every time, but the number of bands will change because people have different core sequences therefore the DNA probes will bind to different numbers of base sequences?

So is this pattern of bands then compared to the number of bands that the same DNA probes produced when annealed to the single stranded DNA of the person/animal you are comparing the extracted sample with?
Reply 4376
First thing:

Ok so during genetic fingerprinting, after they have separated the strands and transferred the single stranded DNA fragments onto a nylon membrane they add DNA probes to it.

My question: Where are these probes taken from? Is it from the person or animal the extracted sample is being tested against? If so then does the subsequent number of bands correspond to the chance it was the person or animal's DNA? Because I'm not really sure what the book is saying..

Second thing:

So what you're saying is the DNA probes will be the same every time, but the number of bands will change because people have different core sequences therefore the DNA probes will bind to different numbers of base sequences?

So is this pattern of bands then compared to the number of bands that the same DNA probes produced when annealed to the single stranded DNA of the person/animal you are comparing the extracted sample with?

2 is correct.
Original post by Ravz94
Can anyone tell me what 'neutral' means on mark schemes? I've always wondered. Really dreading this essay and how science works questions tomorrow -.-

Just means it neither gains nor loses marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4378
Rightio I'm off for tonight.
If you have any questions, just pm me and I'll answer them tomorrow, this is surprisingly good revision!
Reply 4379
Condensation and hydrolysis and their importance in biology. ideas anyone?

Latest

Trending

Trending