The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Physics P4P5P6 - 18/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by NatashaG
Can someone please explain to me transistors I don't get them I have read the revision guide a million times and I dont undersatnd why they are useful please help me :frown:

Transistors are basically switches that are controlled by electricity, and they are more useful because they are much smaller than a manual switch, and you can easily put it into circuit boards, leading to smaller devices and circuits (miniaturisation).
Can someone please explain to me transistors I don't get them I have read the revision guide a million times and I dont undersatnd why they are useful please help me :frown:

No voltage = No current passes through

Small voltage = gate closes, current passes through

Big voltage = damage

They're used to.make logic gates as well..
Could someone do a low-down on what's came up in the last few papers please? My computer is taking ages to download just one paper -.- :/ thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Yeah, same here! Still can't believe that the atom model we're taught in schools for years is "obsolete" though lol :rolleyes:...Hopefully A Levels won't have be like this :biggrin:

What do you mean they're obsolete?
(I know what Obsolete means...just wondering what you mean by it in terms of the model)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 364
Yeah, same here! Still can't believe that the atom model we're taught in schools for years is "obsolete" though lol :rolleyes:...Hopefully A Levels won't have be like this :biggrin:

I know someone who did Chemistry at uni and apparently they tell them to forget everything they learnt about it at A Levels because it's completely different too haha.

My chemistry teacher says it's a bit like driving a car. First you need to learn how to drive the car (GCSE) and then you're taught how the car drives.
Original post by Knowing
Transistors are basically switches that are controlled by electricity, and they are more useful because they are much smaller than a manual switch, and you can easily put it into circuit boards, leading to smaller devices and circuits (miniaturisation).

Original post by L'Evil Fish
No voltage = No current passes through

Small voltage = gate closes, current passes through

Big voltage = damage

They're used to.make logic gates as well..

So like they allow things to switch on without you pressing a switch is this the right idea?
Reply 366
:rolleyes:...Hopefully A Levels won't have be like this :biggrin:

Apparently they are, once you do a degree in a subject you took at A Level you'll see that most of the stuff wasn't detailed enough, and as you go through each year in uni you find the stuff you learned the previous year still wasn't completely right. That's just what I've heard though :colondollar:
Reply 367
Original post by benwalters1996
Could someone do a low-down on what's came up in the last few papers please? My computer is taking ages to download just one paper -.- :/ thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the first time this specification has been sat...
What do you mean they're obsolete?
(I know what Obsolete means...just wondering what you mean by it in terms of the model)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad you asked- the model we're taught at school is called the Bohr model and it is outdated. We're taught that electrons orbit the nucleus of an atom which have circular orbits, but it is actually much more complicated than that because you can't predict both the speed the electron is travelling at and its position at the same time (since it violates the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle). The Bohr Model was also created and its predictions are based on Hydrogen (which only has one electron) so its predictions for larger atoms that have more than one electron aren't completely accurate! Essentially, this model has now been replaced by Quantum Mechanics which provides the best explanation/predictions so far :cool:

So like they allow things to switch on without you pressing a switch is this the right idea?

Yeah, I guess :smile: use voltage instead to turn on and off
Original post by andersson
This is the first time this specification has been sat...

Previous spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cameron262
I know someone who did Chemistry at uni and apparently they tell them to forget everything they learnt about it at A Levels because it's completely different too haha.

My chemistry teacher says it's a bit like driving a car. First you need to learn how to drive the car (GCSE) and then you're taught how the car drives.

Apparently they are, once you do a degree in a subject you took at A Level you'll see that most of the stuff wasn't detailed enough, and as you go through each year in uni you find the stuff you learned the previous year still wasn't completely right. That's just what I've heard though :colondollar:

So, we have to constantly relearn new things? Well...I guess that's better than just knowing the wrong information... :tongue: Oh well, it should be fun (hopefully) :cool:

'So they like turn things on and off' <---can just imagine the response to the 6 mark question now :wink: *cheeky grin*

Posted from TSR Mobile
'So they like turn things on and off' <---can just imagine the response to the 6 mark question now :wink: *cheeky grin*

Posted from TSR Mobile

HAHA...what does a resistor do? it like makes the bull dim and stuff
Explain how gamma radiation is used to treat cancer? it like kills the cancer and stuff

I'm great at thorough explanations!!!
Reply 374

But any 6 markers now won't be dependent on the old 6 markers, because they're a different spec :cool:

Edit: There aren't any 6 markers in the old spec, which makes looking at old papers even more pointless :lol:

thanks BP
(edited 10 years ago)
But any 6 markers now won't be dependent on the old 6 markers, because they're a different spec :cool:

There aren't any six markers in the old spec :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 376
There aren't any six markers in the old spec :tongue:

Edited :wink:
I meant to see what kind of topics they like to ask about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 378
How far is everyone with revision?
Haven't even learnt stuff :frown:

Gonna have to do an all day job