The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 5 6BI05 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
If I was in your position I would get the spec and read the fat snab book 5 times before the exam.
Original post by I Hate Edexcel
Ok, thanks! I'll try and be brisk then. :smile: Were the questions on the pre-release difficult? And were they general or very specific to the booklet? I'm kind of scared because I don't know what to expect.

In all honesty I'm not sure because I am a wasteman and have never revised the pre-release stuff but I think I was able to get quite a few marks by looking at the text, i.e. comprehension last time I did it.

There were some questions which were synoptic though if I remember correctly.
Reply 1142
Original post by Tomatochuckers
In how much detail do we need to learn the link reaction and the Krebs cycle?

The CGP book has it in much greater detail than the SNAB textbook does.

i.e. is this enough knowledge:

Glycolysis: Glycogen in liver converted to glucose. Phosphate added from two ATP which makes glucose more reactive. This then breaks into down two 3 carbom molecules. These are oxidised to form two molecules of pyruvate. 2 NAD take a hydrogen atom each so we then get 2 reduced NAD

Link reaction: Pyruvate is dehydrogenated and decarboxylated forming a 2 carbon compound (acetate). This then joins with coenzyme A to get acetyl coenzyme A. Carbon dioxide is released as a waste product, and coenzyme NAD takes up the 2 hydrogens

Krebs Cycle:
In the Krebs cycle, each two carbon molecule of acetyl coA entering the cycle results in the production of two carbon dioxide molecules, one molecule of ATP by substrate level phosphorylation, and 4 pairs of hydrogen atoms which are mainly taken up by NAD with those being released in one particular step of the Krebs cycle being taken up by FAD.

Then I'd go on to explain the ETC and chemiosmosis

Is this enough detail?
Thanks!

For the krebs cycle you must know the each acetyl group combines with a 4c compound to form a 6c compound
Last year I did 9 hours of revision for this the night before and got 72/120 which is a high D or low C or whatever.

I was also very inefficient with my time and forgot to cover a chapter (note I had the time to do so) which a whole question came up on and so could've got higher. Don't give up hope

The problem is I don't seem to get that much better after I've revised for weeks.
Original post by oli_G
I've tried searching the thread but can't find a link to the annotated article, can somebody help (my previous link to it no longer works :/)

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0MFgC4fsl2oVWFUd2tKT21WakE/view?pli=1&sle=true
Original post by Sly1
For the krebs cycle you must know the each acetyl group combines with a 4c compound to form a 6c compound

OK would you say that's all I'm really missing then? Thanks!
Reply 1146
OK would you say that's all I'm really missing then? Thanks!

Everything else looks ok to me. Other people will comment if there is anything important missing.
In all honesty I'm not sure because I am a wasteman and have never revised the pre-release stuff but I think I was able to get quite a few marks by looking at the text, i.e. comprehension last time I did it.

There were some questions which were synoptic though if I remember correctly.

Ok that's cool, haha! I've revised stuff from earlier units so hopefully I should be ok. How hard it is to get an A do you think?

Thanks for the help!
Reply 1148
How the 3D shape of protein relates to its function?
Reply 1149
what does calibration for time and volume mean?
Reply 1150
Going to sleep late tonight, and do as much as I can to prepare. I wouldn't being doing a late nighter if it was an AM exam though.
Reply 1151
please help ):
I swear the papers are so different to what we actually have to know -__- so much common sense involved
Reply 1153
Original post by tsr1
what does calibration for time and volume mean?

Setting to a known amount basically :smile:
Reply 1154
Original post by S-Angel
How the 3D shape of protein relates to its function?

primary structure - sequencing of the amino acids determine cell's fucntion. Polypeptide chains folded - bonds between them as well determine what type of protein it will become. ie an enzyme etc :smile:
Hope it helps
Do you guys think that we'll have to describe the mitosis process for an insert question?
Guys what causes the stimulation of a neuron during the depolarisation phase in the first place?

Is it just the changes in potential differences? :s-smilie:
Guys what causes the stimulation of a neuron during the depolarisation phase in the first place?

Is it just the changes in potential differences? :s-smilie:

Sodium Ions (Na+) entering the neurone causing depolarisation.
Reply 1158
Original post by Chris-69
Do you guys think that we'll have to describe the mitosis process for an insert question?

possibly, you might as well learn it briefly

I PMAT
Original post by nomrota95
can someone please explain the answer to Jan 2011 question 5c (i) and (ii)?? i dont get the stupid markscheme :angry:

Original post by nomrota95
and also explain the answer to june 2010, question 4c with the ECG! thanks!

could someone please answer!! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending