what is an alpha amino-acid?

rch(nh2)cooh
Reply 1621
Original post by otrivine
rch(nh2)cooh

Nice one! my turn!
Reply 1622
1) is C6H8O6
2) is alkene, ester and hydroxyl(or alcohol)
3) I don't know for sure but I think it's 2 (the one on the ring with the dotted H and one on the chain with the OH wedge) - Why does everyone think its one?
Reply 1623
Guys whats the easiest way to tell a chiral centre?
I know it's if it's attached to 4 different groups but sometimes I get confused (especially when it's skeletal).
Any tips? Thanks!
Reply 1624
Original post by thers
1) is C6H8O6
3) I don't know for sure but I think it's 2 (the one on the ring with the dotted H and one on the chain with the OH wedge) - Why does everyone think its one?

really is that an ester?

But it seems like its one because only the Carbon is attached to OH, the ring structure and the CH2OH
Reply 1625
Original post by thers
1) is C6H8O6

Oh yeaaa there is two!, Its an optical illusion! haha
Reply 1626
really is that an ester?

But it seems like its one because only the Carbon is attached to OH, the ring structure and the CH2OH

Yea, a cyclic ester
Reply 1627
Original post by kevloui
Nice one! my turn!

Describe a test to distringuish between aldehyde and ketone
Reply 1628
Original post by kevloui
Yea, a cyclic ester

Good to know!
Reply 1629
oh yes there are 2 chiral centres!
Reply 1630
Original post by Onkar-M
Guys whats the easiest way to tell a chiral centre?
I know it's if it's attached to 4 different groups but sometimes I get confused (especially when it's skeletal).
Any tips? Thanks!

literally just look for one with four different attachments, thats pretty much the easiest way. Just remember, any bond not shown is a H. So if there are two implicit bonds on a carbon, it isn't chiral.
Reply 1631
Original post by katietye
Can someone help me, I've just done a past paper from June 2010 and there's a question that tells me to write an equation on hydroxyethanal HOCH2CHO with an oxidising agent [O] and the mark scheme gives HOCH2CHO + 3[O] > HOOCCH2COOH + H2O the oxygen atoms balance out but the hydrogens don't?

You've copied it up wrong from the mark scheme!
Because its a primary alcohol on one end of the molecule and then an aldehyde on the other- they both get oxidised to a carboxylic acid.
So it becomes HOOCCOOH.
If you put that + h2o your O's will all balance out!
Reply 1632
Describe a test to distringuish between aldehyde and ketone

Tollens reagent;
React Silver nitrate with ammonia, and heat it.
If an aldehyde is present, there will be a sliver mirror, if a ketone is present, nothing happens.
Reply 1633
Original post by kevloui
Tollens reagent;
React Silver nitrate with ammonia, and heat it.
If an aldehyde is present, there will be a sliver mirror, if a ketone is present, nothing happens.

Correct!

my turn
Reply 1634
Original post by Gulzar
Is there a topic in the book on this?

End of module 1. And read this. :smile: www.chemguide.co.uk/organicprops/amines/preparation.html#top

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1635
Correct!

my turn

Why do condensation polymers impact less on the environment than addition polymers?
Reply 1636
Original post by kevloui
Why do condensation polymers impact less on the environment than addition polymers?

this is because condensation polymers are photodegradable and hence, the C=O absorbs infra red radiation and results in the breakdown of the polymer into smaller fragments by heat,moisture and light. Also, polymers could be biodegradable so can be completely broken down into co2+ h20
Reply 1637
this is because condensation polymers are photodegradable and hence, the C=O absorbs infra red radiation and results in the breakdown of the polymer into smaller fragments by heat,moisture and light. Also, polymers could be biodegradable so can be completely broken down into co2+ h20

Nice one! you could have also mentioned the hydrolysis, to split it into its two monomers, but correct nonetheless.
Reply 1638
Original post by kevloui
Nice one! you could have also mentioned the hydrolysis, to split it into its two monomers, but correct nonetheless.

true! and good idea actually, but will that not be more expensive for industries ?:rolleyes:

Describe the structure of benzene
Reply 1639
true! and good idea actually, but will that not be more expensive for industries ?:rolleyes:

Describe the structure of benzene

Shouldn't be, rain should be able to hydrolyse it just fine :P

p-orbitals overlap to form pi bonds, creating electron clouds above and below the plane. All the bonds are the same and are therefore the same length.

Latest

Trending

Trending