The Student Room Group

OCR C4 (not mei) 18th June 2013 revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Grrr. Not looking forward to this exam. Can someone explain 2ii. Jan 2010 to me please? I realise that I should try and find a ratio, but the ratios I find don't give the correct answer. Maybe telling me what I should find a ratio between could be useful.

Thanks.
Original post by m00c0w
I did think it was a bit weird having a negative log :P So basically whenever you integrate something that becomes log, just put it inside mod? My teacher had said that you can generally just ignore the mod when I pointed it out to him earlier in the year, and it isn't that he is a bad teacher. In fact, he is the best teacher I have ever had, and most of the people in my class would agree, just strange that he didn't tell us this bit.

Anyway, thanks for that, hopefully I will remember it in the exam!

To be honest it is more that it has come up in papers so rarely (that you need the modulus sign) that your teacher probably neglected to mention it. I mean so far that is the only question (to my memory) that i've done in past papers where the modulus sign was actually needed. But yeah it is good to remember to include the modulus sign as the examiners could indeed put it in our paper to try and trick us :wink:

I doubt they would penalise you for putting modulus signs in log integral questions where the limits do not require a modulus sign as we are still saying something that is mathematically correct.

Original post by m00c0w
Grrr. Not looking forward to this exam. Can someone explain 2ii. Jan 2010 to me please? I realise that I should try and find a ratio, but the ratios I find don't give the correct answer. Maybe telling me what I should find a ratio between could be useful.

Thanks.

Find the direction vectors AB and AC first (i.e. B-A and C-A) then if you look at the two results a ratio should seem obvious between those two directions :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 122
find secxtan2xdx  \int secxtan^2xdx\

Spoiler

note: you may assume secxdx =lnsecx+tanx+c \int secxdx\ = ln|secx+tanx| + c
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by jassi1
find secxtan2xdx  \int secxtan^2xdx\

Spoiler

note: you may assume secxdx =lnsecx+tanx+c \int secxdx\ = ln|secx+tanx| + c

Is this a question you have?
If so you need to use a recursive integral - naming your integral II may help.
Reply 124
Original post by jamesaung
Completely agree, there isn't very much variation between papers at all.

I also agree apart from the june 2009 q9 threw me off abit.
Reply 125
Hmm I'm doing Jan 12 and it's a tricky one
I'm finding C4 better than C3 in some respects as the papers seem more straightforward (so far). But the grade boundaries seem pretty high. :/
Anyone know why I can't split x^2/(x-1)^2(x-2) into partial fractions like A/(x-1)^2 + B/(x-2). Instead it's A/(x-1)^2 + B/(x-2) + C /(x-1)
Reply 128
Original post by eggfriedrice
Anyone know why I can't split x^2/(x-1)^2(x-2) into partial fractions like A/(x-1)^2 + B/(x-2). Instead it's A/(x-1)^2 + B/(x-2) + C /(x-1)

You can't split that expression like you have because it has a repeated factor. So you treat it differently if it has a repeated factor like so:

ax2+bx+c(xe)2(xf)=α(xe)2+β(xe)+γ(xf) \frac{ax^2+bx+c}{(x-e)^2(x-f)} = \frac{ \alpha }{(x-e)^2} + \frac{ \beta }{(x-e)} + \frac{ \gamma }{(x-f)} for ef e \not= f

And if you're interested the pattern carries on:

p(x)(xe)3(xf)=α(xe)3+β(xe)2+γ(xe)+δ(xf) \frac{p(x)}{(x-e)^3(x-f)} = \frac{ \alpha }{(x-e)^3} + \frac{ \beta }{(x-e)^2} + \frac{ \gamma }{(x-e)} + \frac{ \delta}{(x-f)} for ef e \not= f where p(x) p(x) has degree less than or equal to 3.

however C4 only has either a factor of multiplicity 2 or no repeated factors.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by joostan
Is this a question you have?
If so you need to use a recursive integral - naming your integral II may help.

I was just posing this question to others because I found it quite fun and interesting :smile:
Ahhhhhh parametrics someone help please
Hi guys does anyone have the OCR jan 13 paper?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 132
Original post by SexyAndIKnowIt.
Ahhhhhh parametrics someone help please

Do you have a specific question you are stuck on?
(edited 10 years ago)
Can anyone explain how this equals this please? Thanks ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371462796.589262.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ninuzu
Do you have a specific question you are stuck on?

Jow do I know when's to integrate/ differentiate or substitute when dealing with parametrics
If you are given eg. Cos 4x how do you convert this into the double angle formulae that we know
Original post by Hello_ImJess
Can anyone explain how this equals this please? Thanks ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371462796.589262.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

you know cos4x = 2cos^2(2x) -1 from C3
rearrange to cos4x + 1 = 2cos^2(2x)
then 0.5cos4x + 0.5 = cos^2(2x)
:smile:
Reply 137
If you are given eg. Cos 4x how do you convert this into the double angle formulae that we know

You can treat cos4x very similarly to cos2x when doing the multiple angle formulae.
So, in the double angle formula for cos: cos2x = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x), for cos 4x, you can simply deduce that: cos4x = cos^2(2x) - sin^2(2x)
Reply 138
Jow do I know when's to integrate/ differentiate or substitute when dealing with parametrics

If you are asked to find the equation of the tangent/gradient of a curve, then you have to differentiate the parametric equations, so if you are told x=*some function involving t* and y=*another function involving t*, then to find the gradient: dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt).
You use substitution when you need to find the Cartesian form (i.e. an equation that doesn't involve t).
Help with question 4 please

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371465715.798886.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending