The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4880
Original post by TauMuon
My advice: don't stress over the essay! Concentrate on the rest of the exam, it's worth 3 times as many marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I've been telling myself hahaha
Reply 4881
Original post by hype
Last minute essay tips, anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stay calm.
read the question properly.
read all the information before powering through the question.
if you're stuck, don't dwell on the question. Come back to it.
think logically and apply the specifics of your knowledge.
Just to let you all know, I'm not taking the exam myself, I'm currently doing a degree in biology and I have my own exam this afternoon :frown: but I will help you all out as much as I can before your exam!

Best of luck everyone! :h:
Reply 4883
Original post by rm.xo
rubisco in Calvin cycle.
DNA helicase, polymerase and ligase in transcription.
ATPase in muscle contraction

Lipases and other enzymes secreted by saprobiotic bacteria
dehydrogenase to oxidise co enzymes
Original post by lcj0503
Anyone else doing the essay first??

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would look at the essay topics and i will choose one of them before i do the other question but i wont definately do the essay first!!essay is only 25 marks out of 100!!get others out of the way and than focus on ur essay!!GOOOOD LUCK
Reply 4885
Original post by Eloades11
Just to let you all know, I'm not taking the exam myself, I'm currently doing a degree in biology and I have my own exam this afternoon :frown: but I will help you all out as much as I can before your exam!

Best of luck everyone! :h:

ahh thats why you knew so much :P
You could write about it's role in photosynthesis, eg for photolysis. I'm sure you also know about osmosis and water involved in respiration.

Any chance you could summarise the involvement of water in the unit 4 stuff? I didn't get round to revising unit 4.
Reply 4887
Original post by persian-boy
i would look at the essay topics and i will choose one of them before i do the other question but i wont definately do the essay first!!essay is only 25 marks out of 100!!get others out of the way and than focus on ur essay!!GOOOOD LUCK

I'm gonna smash the exam in like 45 mins, check - then spend the rest of the time just writing everything I've ever learnt into the essay haha
Reply 4888
Can anyone explain ci to me? I'm stumped. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371464908.984861.jpg

My answers pretty rubbish so just ignore it ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4889
Original post by lcj0503
Anyone else doing the essay first??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you get panicked over the essay then you may mess up the questions. But if you do, remember to keep an eye on the time and that the questions are worth 3x the amount that the essay is.
Original post by Tikara
ahh thats why you knew so much :P

Yeah I'm not here to intimidate you all :tongue: I've been studying biology for a few more years :smile:

Original post by anniedink
Any chance you could summarise the involvement of water in the unit 4 stuff? I didn't get round to revising unit 4.

Sorry I don't know what was covered in unit 4. But if you had an essay on water, then some simple things you could write about include osmosis, and photosynthesis.
Reply 4891
Original post by paul343
Can anyone explain ci to me? I'm stumped. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371464908.984861.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

somebody used this before...

undigested DNA

----------

completely digested DNA

--
---
-----

partially digested DNA

--
---
-----
----------

therefore the partially digested DNA adds upto more than that of the origional
Reply 4892
goshh im soo nervous! hope this paper is similar to last years, and AQA give us a good essay to do.
Original post by paul343

Posted from TSR Mobile

Electrophoresis separates fragments of DNA based on their size, the smaller fragments will move further whilst the larger fragments (containing more bp's of DNA) will not move as much. You could then compare the distance traveled to a table of data and estimate the size/how many base pairs there are.
Original post by ans16
can someone please explain question 3d i http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL5-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

I think 3.d.i. is looking for the differences between the cuticles, so the upper cuticle is usually thicker and waterproof to reduce transpiration, so it's harder for NAA to diffuse through it.. thicker I'd assume means longer diffusion pathway, so slower rate of diffusion/uptake.
3.d.ii. Different species would have slightly different leaf structures such as more/fewer stomata, or thicker/thinner cuticles.
Reply 4895
Original post by rm.xo
I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you get panicked over the essay then you may mess up the questions. But if you do, remember to keep an eye on the time and that the questions are worth 3x the amount that the essay is.

Oh maybe I shouldn't do that then I was just scared about running out of time. I might do all questions I find easiest on the paper then the essay then go back to the more difficult questions if time allows that way I'm not wasting time on difficult questions leaving less for the essay! So nervous!! :-((

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4896
Original post by rm.xo
somebody used this before...

undigested DNA

----------

completely digested DNA

--
---
-----

partially digested DNA

--
---
-----
----------

therefore the partially digested DNA adds upto more than that of the origional

No that's not the question haha you answered the question before this one

Posted from TSR Mobile
can anyone summarise gene therapy please?
Reply 4898
Electrophoresis separates fragments of DNA based on their size, the smaller fragments will move further whilst the larger fragments (containing more bp's of DNA) will not move as much. You could then compare the distance traveled to a table of data and estimate the size/how many base pairs there are.

Thanking you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'm not here to intimidate you all :tongue: I've been studying biology for a few more years :smile:

Sorry I don't know what was covered in unit 4. But if you had an essay on water, then some simple things you could write about include osmosis, and photosynthesis.

All of the photosynthesis stages like the krebs cycle and stuff, i just wanted to know the involvement of water in LIR and LDRs

Latest

Trending

Trending