The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarahM-801
Sorry this has absolutely nothing to do with biology now, but, uhm, Castiel. I love Cas. And I couldn't resist responding to it.

Thought I was on the wrong thread then when I saw you talk about Cas. Love him too! Sidetracking half an hour before the exam :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eloades11
I believe there's something to do with how adenylate cyclase can convert ATP ---> cyclic AMP, a second messenger inducing responses in target proteins (eg used in the lac operon). But you've got more than enough topics there to write about in an essay :smile:

I wish you all the best of luck in this exam! Be sure to quote me letting me know how you got on when you get back :h:

Thanks a lot buddy, hopefully will be ok, revised most of it thoroughly.
Reply 4942
Original post by helpme456
any idea why partial digestion produces more fragments than complete?

Literally have no idea about partial digestion, confuses the hell out of me!
Reply 4943
Final question from me I think, if ATP is a topic, apart from active transport, muscle contraction and photosyn/resp theres nothing else to mention is there?

Ii think you can even talk about its qualities like released in small manageable quantities, one step reaction...

And also nerve impulses - to maintain resting potential ATP is used
I believe there's something to do with how adenylate cyclase can convert ATP ---> cyclic AMP, a second messenger inducing responses in target proteins (eg used in the lac operon). But you've got more than enough topics there to write about in an essay :smile:

I wish you all the best of luck in this exam! Be sure to quote me letting me know how you got on when you get back :h:

How is ATP used in photosynthesis/respiration ? I have forgotten everything from the past units :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4945
Original post by DoeADeer
I'm ****ting it. I've revised quite a lot, but looking through my notes I feel like I'm forgetting everything. SO NERVOUS AHHHH. How confident are you?

Im so scared, im also looking through notes, gna stop now and go to school, GOOD LUCK!
just pray the we get a good essay :smile:
Original post by DoctorWannaBe101
How is ATP used in photosynthesis/respiration ? I have forgotten everything from the past units :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to know that ATP is generated by processes such as oxidative phosphorylation, anaerobic respiration and the electron transport chain (I think). And it's used in processes in photosynthesis (generated by energy lost from electrons when traveling from chlorophyll). That's the best my memory can do, it's been a while since I looked at this.
Reply 4947

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is used to phosphorylate glucose in glycolysis
ATP used to transport H+ ions into intermembranal space
Thanks a lot buddy, hopefully will be ok, revised most of it thoroughly.

Good to hear! Hopefully you get some decent questions and a nice essay to write about.
Original post by kingster123
hey can you summarise restriction mapping

- Used for when fragments are too large to be analysed by just dna sequencing
- large fragments of dna cut into smaller fragments by restriction endonuclease
- separated by gel electrophesis to determine order of size of fragments
- can then be used to produce a restriction map and determine order of fragments in original piece of dna
- this combined with dna sequencing of larger dna fragments can be used to determine the original order of base sequences in the original gene/dna. :smile:

Its kinda hard how to explain how to draw a restriction map though through words, sorry.:frown:
You need to know that ATP is generated by processes such as oxidative phosphorylation, anaerobic respiration and the electron transport chain (I think). And it's used in processes in photosynthesis (generated by energy lost from electrons when traveling from chlorophyll). That's the best my memory can do, it's been a while since I looked at this.

Thanks mate! Cool guy, for giving us a helping hand :smile:. No point in lloking/revising that now right? I just beg and pray ATP comes up, because that way I can include lots from Unit 5 only ahhh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks mate! Cool guy, for giving us a helping hand :smile:. No point in lloking/revising that now right? I just beg and pray ATP comes up, because that way I can include lots from Unit 5 only ahhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile: nah it'd be too late to revise anything properly/thoroughly now. The synoptic essays are usually quite general, so you may be in luck! Best of luck :h:
No problem :smile: nah it'd be too late to revise anything properly/thoroughly now. The synoptic essays are usually quite general, so you may be in luck! Best of luck :h:

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4953
Original post by Joshmeid
It's the process of finding the sequence of bases in a gene using gel electrophoresis.

I'll explain how it works in a spoiler because it will be pretty long.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive read many explanations but this is the BEST one yet ive gotta let it sink in a bit but was best step by step ive ever read shame i only discovered it now lol you should bring out a textbook mate better then all the nelson thornes and chp explanation nice one ! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did people find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This exam must be long, I started my exam at 2, and I still got out and home before you all!
Reply 4956
Original post by v0lcanicash
How did people find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was weird. Question after question seemed to be on interpreting data and "how does the information from the graph support..." and "do you with this conclusion?"

:grumble:
Reply 4957
Which essay question did you all do?
Reply 4958
I think I got 4.89% for the percentage increase
failed. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending