The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1720
Why alcohol have short retention time and why alkane would have long retention time?
Reply 1721
Original post by thers
I lol'd at "I'm really bad" but gets 52/60 which is A*

Hydroxyl refers to alcohols, phenols, carboxylic acids etc anything with an OH group. The markscheme thet year wanted you to be more specific.

4(b) OCR tell you that Benzaldehyde is both oxidized and reduced - its not on the spec. It's an application of knowledge question where they give you all the info required to answer it.

It was around 82 UMS. I need 85 for my A* man that's why I'm annoyed, I can't afford to drop any marks. :frown:

Okay so just look at it in context.

Yeah apparently it's nucelophillic addition with the OH(-).

That can attack C(delta+) which will form COH(H)O(-) where the O takes a proton from water?

How would you get a single alcohol? I see a diol forming.

Or do you just take it as oxidation and make a single alcohol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1722
Original post by otrivine
Why alcohol have short retention time and why alkane would have long retention time?

Would have thought its something to do with hydrogen bonds forming between alcohols so are more soluble. Alkanes cannot form hydrogen bonds with each other.
Reply 1723
Original post by thers
Would have thought its something to do with hydrogen bonds forming between alcohols so are more soluble. Alkanes cannot form hydrogen bonds with each other.

I see, and could you help me on the pdf I uploaded please

were my answers correct for your questions?
Reply 1724
I see, and could you help me on the pdf I uploaded please

were my answers correct for your questions?

Scan : Curly arrows and mechanism correct
You can't react two carboxlyic acid groups together. Only an alcohol with a carboxylic acid.

Answers all correct

I've got to go off now. Might be on later
Reply 1725
Original post by thers
Scan : Curly arrows and mechanism correct
You can't react two carboxlyic acid groups together. Only an alcohol with a carboxylic acid.

Answers all correct

I've got to go off now. Might be on later

Sure, but they put repeat unit, dont we join them togehter?
Reply 1726
Sure, but they put repeat unit, dont we join them togehter?

Joining them together would result in 2 repeat units. Look at one half and you will see its identical to the other so that's 2 repeat units. The question says one repeat unit
Reply 1727
This explains my question about 4(b) in June 2012. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371485978.352008.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick question:

How do you do hydrolysis reactions? There is the ones of Ester and Peptides if i'm right?

I understand that with H2So4 its basically the reverse reaction of the formation of the ester and then for alkaline its the same but with 0- and Na+... But when you do it with HCl and things like that? It confuses mee... :frown:
Also, is there any others that i should learn?
Reply 1730
Original post by thers

For an esterfication I know that's what is happened but aren't acid anhydrides made from the reaction of two carboxylic acids?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who has Jan 13 paper or link to someone who has posted I can only find the ms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1732
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
Who has Jan 13 paper or link to someone who has posted I can only find the ms

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its been posted many times, check the past few pages, its in an attachment and a link.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1733

Thank you so much man, I missed that :rolleyes:
Reply 1734
Original post by D4rth
For an esterfication I know that's what is happened but aren't acid anhydrides made from the reaction of two carboxylic acids?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Formation of acid anhydrides is not on the spec.
I've been looking for an hour and 21 minutes now, looked for like the first 20 pages and from the back to the last 10 can you link me please maybe its because I'm on my phone :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1736
what do you need a B overall in chemistry?
Reply 1737
Does anyone know why the empirical formula of the repeat unit of PEN is C7H5O2? i'm referring to the f324 june 10 paper, question 2 (b) (i)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by miiroseh
what do you need a B overall in chemistry?

420/600 adding all your exam and coursework UMS scores together :smile:
Original post by zainn
Does anyone know why the empirical formula of the repeat unit of PEN is C7H5O2? i'm referring to the f324 june 10 paper, question 2 (b) (i)

Yep. The molecular formula is C14H10O4 so divide all of that by 2 (because you can) and you end up with the empirical fornula being C7H5O2.

Latest

Trending

Trending