The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by player19
This is regularly censored by the so-called "free" western media.

But yeah, we all know that Assad violates freedom of speech.:rolleyes:

Our "free" media shows a few of Assad's men bury 'unlawfully' smashing a Salafi goat, but they're not keen to show us this. After all his henchmen rape daughters before their mothers. :rolleyes:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ca0_1371475194

I had a translated version. And I've got many videos of wrong-doings from both sides.
Reply 301
Original post by Ama2007
First of all, its not as simple as some here may think...

Its not a conflict, its a genocide been committed in syria, and "some" still call it conflict or civil war. When one side is been slaughtered and wiped out from existence you call that conflict?

Thus syria is complex matter and there are many misconceptions about the war in syria.
I think its digusting in this day and age we allow such a thing to happen and blind ourselves from the truth. Its not like a day or 2 of killing, its been going on for 2 years now and EVERYDAY there are hundereds that die in a horrific way, one man was buried alive infornt of his daughter because he didnt say Bashar was god! I could go on and on about the ways they torture peole in syria but I dont see the point. You have to see it yourself.

The only difference here is that the whole world is in silence no matter what we try to tell ourselves. When such crimes happen normally countries intervene in some way or send charities, the red cross doesnt even exist in syria, there is no medical aid (national) which what happens in war zones you send charities which are allowed to enter the country under national law. However, in syria the people are left to die a painful death, young or old. Its a disaster! It just goes to show how evil and twisted some arab leaders are. They are happy as long as they stay in power, whether for 40 years or some 50 years they will do anything to stay in power.

Bashar al-assad stated earlier on when the revolution started: He is prepared to kill the 23 million people if he has to...if thats what it takes to stay in power, he shall do it"

People don't want it to turn into a proxy war with Russia - history have proven these don't work out well for anyone.

People don't want to help "rebels" that are no better than the regime they oppose - history have proven this often doesn't work out well.

What do you want other countries to do? You make it sound like there is a conspiracy to ignore it or something. Our political leaders have been debating it for the whole conflict, whether to intervene, whether not to. It's not like everyone is going "What? What conflict? Shh, don't look over there, Syria is just playing a game! ahahah"
(edited 10 years ago)
As much as the West may not like him, he has been keeping Syria stable. Now, it has been infiltrated by terrorists who wish to see the formation of a Syrian Islamic Emirate. The only solutions are:

A) The regime's downfall.
B) The regime's victory (most likely)
C) Syria splintering into different ethnic heartlands. I think B and C are the preferred solutions.
tbh it depends on why exactly we don't want Assad in power, so far all we've been told is blah blah humanitarian blah blah which is clearly a pile of horse **** as both sides are just as bad as each other. If we want to irritate the Russians we can just pay someone to kick Putin's dog, arming fundamentalists will inevitably come back to bite us and our allies (most notably Israel) in the ass so unless there is some massive benefit that i'm missing i really don't see why Cameron is pushing so hard to arm one side.
Original post by Darth Stewie
tbh it depends on why exactly we don't want Assad in power, so far all we've been told is blah blah humanitarian blah blah which is clearly a pile of horse **** as both sides are just as bad as each other. If we want to irritate the Russians we can just pay someone to kick Putin's dog, arming fundamentalists will inevitably come back to bite us and our allies (most notably Israel) in the ass so unless there is some massive benefit that i'm missing i really don't see why Cameron is pushing so hard to arm one side.

Because he is flushed by his success in Libya and wants to see it repeated some place else so that he can continue to project his image of "World Liberator" in the mould of Blair and Bush.

People never learn.
Original post by The Dictator
As much as the West may not like him, he has been keeping Syria stable. Now, it has been infiltrated by terrorists who wish to see the formation of a Syrian Islamic Emirate. The only solutions are:

A) The regime's downfall.
B) The regime's victory (most likely)
C) Syria splintering into different ethnic heartlands. I think B and C are the preferred solutions.

It would be good to see the issue resolved peacfully, but I don't think that will happen. I most likely see the outcome of this conflict as a regime victory, russia is not going to stand down. Also it's key to remember a higher proportion of the population are pro-government which the media seem to purposly not putting across to the audience.
Original post by propagation
It would be good to see the issue resolved peacfully, but I don't think that will happen. I most likely see the outcome of this conflict as a regime victory, russia is not going to stand down. Also it's key to remember a higher proportion of the population are pro-government which the media seem to purposly not putting across to the audience.

That is true. With Assad in power, Alawite rule or not, all minorities in Syria have been represented equally and treated fairly. Even those who are not too enthusiastic about the regime would rather have Assad in power than be overrun by Islamic fundamentalists. I am quite happy for Syria to remain in the hands of the Assad family for next 100 years or so, as long as it is stable.
No thanks, we don't need an Alawite ruling Syria. Apart from that, he's an oppressor, dictator and a puppet.

His time is up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Al-Mudaari
No thanks, we don't need an Alawite ruling Syria. Apart from that, he's an oppressor, dictator and a puppet.

His time is up.

Isn't religion a "oppressor" and a "dictator", since you do what it tells you to no ifs no buts.
The rebels have been going around killing innocents for no apparent reason despite claiming this was the reason they were apparently fighting, it is clear what may have started a genuine uprising has no been taken over by a terrorist element.

His time is up.

A puppet of who?
Original post by northbrad30
Isn't religion a "oppressor" and a "dictator", since you do what it tells you to no ifs no buts.

Not really, since it shows you how to lead a righteous life, and saves you from danger (ie. fire). Not to mention that you have the choice to follow the guidance or not.

The rebels have been going around killing innocents for no apparent reason despite claiming this was the reason they were apparently fighting, it is clear what may have started a genuine uprising has no been taken over by a terrorist element.

You keep believing that. Some of them may do so due to being corrupt, but they're not really apart of the Mujahideen, who are there for purely good reasons.
(edited 10 years ago)
Not really, since it shows you how to lead a righteous life, and saves you from danger (ie. fire). Not to mention that you have the choice to follow the guidance or not.

Well its only opinion if it actually leads to people living a 'righteous life', i'm sure Assad could argue his regime enables people to live a righteous life and it would be no different. Religion is only really a opinion so can't really be wrong, but the way Assad believes everyone should live is only a opinion and so couldn't really be wrong either.
Also in some countries people following rules created because of religion is optional, but in others the law is based around religion so its not a choice.

You keep believing that. Some of them may do so due to being corrupt, but they're not really apart of the Mujahideen, who are there for purely good reasons.

Well i read recently a couple of hundred of them went through a city and killed multiple people based purely on the fact they were from a different Muslim group than them. Both sides are committing atrocities, and the rebels do not appear to be any better than the regime.
Well its only opinion if it actually leads to people living a 'righteous life',

The All-Knowing doesn't give guidance based on "opinion", rather it would be based upon objectiveness.

i'm sure Assad could argue his regime enables people to live a righteous life and it would be no different.

Except his is an opinion, based on subjectivity. Maybe if he said what you said and based it on religion (ie. the regime goes by religion), then no one would bother complaining.

One of the main reasons for the up rise is because he doesn't. It's also a huge motivation for the continuation of the resistance.

Religion is only really a opinion so can't really be wrong, but the way Assad believes everyone should live is only a opinion and so couldn't really be wrong either.

Not really, for Muslims, who are convinced based on evidences, that Islam is the truth.

Also in some countries people following rules created because of religion is optional, but in others the law is based around religion so its not a choice.

Just like how minorities don't get a choice in order to follow so called "democracy".

Well i read recently a couple of hundred of them went through a city and killed multiple people based purely on the fact they were from a different Muslim group than them. Both sides are committing atrocities, and the rebels do not appear to be any better than the regime.

I'd suggest you be a bit more critical on what you read. Since you're in a country that apparently endorses democracy, then I would've thought based on that, you'd want Assad to fall.
The All-Knowing doesn't give guidance based on "opinion", rather it would be based upon objectiveness.

Except his is an opinion, based on subjectivity. Maybe if he said what you said and based it on religion (ie. the regime goes by religion), then no one would bother complaining.

One of the main reasons for the up rise is because he doesn't. It's also a huge motivation for the continuation of the resistance.

Not really, for Muslims, who are convinced based on evidences, that Islam is the truth.

Just like how minorities don't get a choice in order to follow so called "democracy".

I'd suggest you be a bit more critical on what you read. Since you're in a country that apparently endorses democracy, then I would've thought based on that, you'd want Assad to fall.

Because a smart person would see that proper 'democracy' in Syria is highly unlikely, whereas an Islamic caliphate is probably a likely occurance if Assad was to fall.
Original post by Apocrypha
Because a smart person would see that proper 'democracy' in Syria is highly unlikely, whereas an Islamic caliphate is probably a likely occurance if Assad was to fall.

... Now that would be so cool, but I think it's unlikely, Allahu Allam.

What I do see happening is the bonds strengthening between the various Sunni nations (especially given how key/significant Syria is), and more pressure being put on the likes of Hezbollah and Iran. Let's just say, it may be one step closer to unity, which the Muslim world is in real need of right now.

ps. "Proper democracy" doesn't even exist in the west.
(edited 10 years ago)
... Now that would be so cool, but I think it's unlikely, Allahu Allam.

What I do see happening is the bonds strengthening between the various Sunni nations (especially given how key/significant Syria is), and more pressure being put on the likes of Hezbollah and Iran. Let's just say, it may be one step closer to unity, which the Muslim world is in real need of right now.

ps. "Proper democracy" doesn't even exist in the west.

Note the quotations of democracy, and why should the west support the Sunni's over the Shia's or alawites.

I don't support either side, i think they are both as bad as each other.
And you believe Islam is the "truth", basing a way a country is run based on the Quran which has its flaws and many would argue its fictional is also arguably a pretty silly idea. Especially considering most countries which have a Muslim dominated government usually are much more violent and have higher poverty rates than those which are ruled based on common sense.
Original post by Apocrypha
Note the quotations of democracy, and why should the west support the Sunni's over the Shia's or alawites.

I don't support either side, i think they are both as bad as each other.
And you believe Islam is the "truth", basing a way a country is run based on the Quran which has its flaws and many would argue its fictional is also arguably a pretty silly idea. Especially considering most countries which have a Muslim dominated government usually are much more violent and have higher poverty rates than those which are ruled based on common sense.

1. What might be common sense to you isn't common sense to someone else. That's why not everyone agrees with the Governments legislations.

2. A bit silly blaming Islam for poverty or violence, I'm guessing you haven't really read history much.

3. A lot of the governments tend to be western puppets. One that was based on the Qur'an would end up being powerless (and poor for that matter), something as you can imagine, when one is in power, they don't wish to have that undermined, especially dictators.

As the Jewish/Israeli historian (Bernard Lewis) recalled a famous moment in history;

There is a fascinating letter written by the french ambassador in Istanbul a few years within the french revolution. He had been instructed to carry on with a few negotiations with the Ottoman government and they were proceeding very slowly and he received a rather sharp reprimand from Paris saying, why the hell don't you get on with it why are you taking so long.

And the ambassador wrote a memorable reply, which I have often quoted, he said "Here", meaning here in the Ottoman empire, he said "here it is not like france, the king is the sole master and does as he pleases", he said "Here the Sultan has to consult, he has to consult with all sorts of people".

And this was true, the sultan has to consult with all sorts of institutions where power or authority arose from within the group, and that was certainly the case before the modernization, the tragedy is all that was destroyed by modernization, it was the process of modernization that made the middle east in that respect a much worse place, because what modernization did was to vastly increase the power of the state, the power of supervision and control and vastly reduced the authority of the various local institutions.

I personally blame imperialism though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 318

Good reasons being: murdering innocents; suicide-bombing checkpoints and buildings; executing "shabibha"; shooting teenagers.
**** the mujies, Assad's been killing more of you foreign terrorists fighting for "democracy" and the funny thing is the soldiers defending their homeland are the ones that are called savages.
Anyday, I will take an allegedly oppressive government than an Islamic Caliphate like Saudi Arabia.

A puppet of who?

(y) Good man! A puppet of Obama maybe :wink: +1

His time is up.

You guys have been saying that for 3 years now.

That is true. With Assad in power, Alawite rule or not, all minorities in Syria have been represented equally and treated fairly. Even those who are not too enthusiastic about the regime would rather have Assad in power than be overrun by Islamic fundamentalists. I am quite happy for Syria to remain in the hands of the Assad family for next 100 years or so, as long as it is stable.

Assad had many religions living under a secular state.
Original post by iSoftie
Assad had many religions living under a secular state.

I would not classify Syria as secular. The vestige of Michel Aflaq secularism has transmogrified into a sectarian dynastic regime off the minority Alawites in government and exploiting its political and economic predominance.

The Syrian constitution mandates that the office of the presidency is occupied by a Muslim. The government manages the nomination of Muslim clergy, and political rights and status of Muslim women is governed by Sharia. The Lebanese constitution mandates a Maronite Christian as the President, a Sunni Muslim as the PM, a Shiite Muslim as the Speaker of parliament. The sectarian idiosyncrasy of the political arrangement lends itself towards religious political discrimination within the institutions of government (in a crude simulacrum of the separation of powers doctrine). There isn't a firm separation between the political and personal spheres of traditional Western secular exemplars. It exhibits a nominal ersatz secularism as a one-party state with al-Assad as its dictator.

Latest

Trending

Trending