The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4580
Original post by Jullith
I tried converting the limit from x to t but it didn't work for x=1, since you get t^(2)-t+1 which can't be factorised?

It can be factorised to a complex number :colone: joking, the diagram is wrong, it's meant to cross at 2,0 not 1,0 :biggrin:
Original post by Westeros
Fancy checking for me please?
Ok I thought I did get it right the first time, the bottom of my fraction should be -2, then what do I do?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371488630.808643.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

4-8ln2/-2
should be dividing by 4-6 (the scribbles made you confused?)
(edited 10 years ago)
This is an important question!!

Say a question on substitution for example is worth 8 marks, and say you get part way through and make a mistake eg miss a factor of 2 out, but then your working out afterwards is correct but obviously you havve the wrong answer, will you get method marks even after you made your mistake?
Reply 4583
Original post by Zaphod77
A function of a function is like sin(x^2). I was slightly wrong, just realised, as you can use substitutions in other situations, e.g. sinxcosx! The easiest way for that question is to use sec^2x as obviously you don't have to manipulate. What method did you try? To avoid mistakes try more than one way and see if you get the same, or if plug in a value to see if you get the same answer when you have 1/cos^2x and when you have whatever you managed to get (although if you used a substitution that would be a bit harder). Always try to spot the simple solutions, if you can solve it without manipulating then just solve it without making things more complicated :smile:

Yeah. I did 1/cos^2x = 1/(1/2cos2x+1), then when flipping it I think I made an error as I wrote 2/2cosx+1..but does the half become a 2 or is it just 1/2....Is it 2(cos2x+1)..?
Original post by sonyeric33
4-8ln2/-2
should be

Yeah I realised, stupid mistakes :frown: I did write that first as you can tell haha! thankyou! :smile:
Reply 4585
Original post by Kreayshawn

why can't the cartesian equation be x = ln(root[y+2])
for part b?
correct answer is
y = e^2x - 2

For part a) I got up to y =-1/18x +1/18ln(3) +7 is that right?... how would you simplify in terms of logs? Can you?
(edited 10 years ago)
What pieces of info could come up from past units that you would need to know? (That's not in the C4 spec.)
Original post by Supes180
What pieces of info could come up from past units that you would need to know? (That's not in the C4 spec.)

Volume of cone/sphere/cylinder maybe, obviously double angle formulas from C3 is a common one, also I done a question which used the rule:
integral of a^x is a^x/ln a
I couldn't find it in the textbook, if anyone can find it then tell me please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4588
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone could post a list of the identities we need to know for C4? I've been searching around but can't find anything, the spec wasn't much help to me and I'd just like to make sure there's nothing I've missed out. I know all the ones we need to remember from C3 etc., it's just the C4 specific ones. Thanks in advance.
Good luck tomorrow everyone! Lets hope its a good paper! :biggrin:
WAR CRY!
justinawe
can you please help me integrate 22cosxdx\displaystyle \int \sqrt {2-2cosx} dx? I know you use one of the identities but i'm not sure which one :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Good luck tomorrow everyone! Lets hope its a good paper! :biggrin:

I want to believe that it will be a good paper, I really do but I'm afraid edexcel is gunna pull another c3 on us :rolleyes: I mean, it is edexcel we're talking about...
Original post by Story
For part a) I got up to y =-1/18x +1/18ln(3) +7 is that right?... how would you simplify in terms of logs? Can you?

You can't simplify (as far as I know, plus that's how they gave it in the mark scheme) and yes that is correct! I done that paper before :biggrin:
Original post by Boom533
Just wanted to say, I've been using your videos for the last year and a bit when it comes round to exam time, and you're an absolute life saver (I did not understand S1 normal distribution at all until I watched your videos). Thank you so much for all the stuff that you've uploaded :smile:

You are welcome.
All the best for tomorrow and stay positive! :smile:
Reply 4595
Original post by Lolc4
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone could post a list of the identities we need to know for C4? I've been searching around but can't find anything, the spec wasn't much help to me and I'd just like to make sure there's nothing I've missed out. I know all the ones we need to remember from C3 etc., it's just the C4 specific ones. Thanks in advance.

I have this which my teacher made. Has all the important ones.Image (4).jpg
How would you integrate something like 3^x?
Reply 4597
can soomeone give me the shapes we need to know, i/e their formulas for C4
Is it just cylinder,cone,sphere and maybe prism?
Can someone please explain why I can't integrate 3/cos x ^2 like this..?
I understand the mark scheme and realise it is ALOT easier using that method (I just stupidly didn't spot sec x ^2)

IMG_5360.jpg
Original post by jadecross
can you please help me integrate 22cosxdx\displaystyle \int \sqrt {2-2cosx} dx? I know you use one of the identities but i'm not sure which one :frown:

I'd use cos2A=12sin2A\cos 2A = 1 - 2\sin^2 A

specifically in this case A=x/2, so:

cosx=12sin2x2\cos x = 1 - 2\sin^2 \dfrac{x}{2}

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending