The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axion
Wasn't the question about ways in which they can be managed?

Talked about different types such as early warning systems, monitoring, precautionary evac (but not feasible as it's all guesswork). Talked about protection from tsunamis

kind of split the 10 marker into distinct methods

Yeah different ways they can be managed
Good - Kobe's protective buildings to manage damage/deaths/ school drills to manage the amount of deaths e.g. whilst in school they'll know what to do

Bad ways they can be managed - Sichuan, ignored building regulations to manage earthquake, which didnt manage their effects at all as it gave in to the quake more easily.
Original post by Axion

Talked about different types such as early warning systems, monitoring, precautionary evac (but not feasible as it's all guesswork). Talked about protection from tsunamis

Oh and also it said using examples i.e at least 2 case studies
Reply 3342
Original post by charlie4590
Oh and also it said using examples i.e at least 2 case studies

sounds like you did fine then bro :smile:
Original post by Axion
sounds like you did fine then bro :smile:

Just looked some up and what you said came up too on different earthquake pages.
I know I should keep worrying... I can't aha.
Thanks for the reply.
Original post by Axion

Same here. Wording nearly caught me out but it wasn't about comparing two or more different quakes, it was general methods.
Original post by St. Brynjar
Same here. Wording nearly caught me out but it wasn't about comparing two or more different quakes, it was general methods.

As long as you referred to case studies, yes. However, mark schemes say that if you just give generic answers without normally around 2 case studies in the 10 marker, you limit yourself to a band 1 - 4 marks max.

Because the question was "with reference to examples, discuss the different ways earthquakes can be managed".
Because the question was "with reference to examples, discuss the different ways earthquakes can be managed".

Perhaps I didn't phrase myself correctly. I meant it wasn't comparing the way two EQs were managed - i.e. one good, one bad, it was asking how they can be managed - obviously case study knowledge was needed for a 10 marker.
Perhaps I didn't phrase myself correctly. I meant it wasn't comparing the way two EQs were managed - i.e. one good, one bad, it was asking how they can be managed - obviously case study knowledge was needed for a 10 marker.

Ah ok, Well I asked earlier in the thread whether bad ways they can be managed was relevant and others agreed that it was. The question was very open.

Normally the comparison questions would say "With contrasting areas, compare the different ways EQ's can be managed"

Even though I knew it wasn't to compare, I gave the different ways they can be managed in the two case studies I had knowledge on, because that was answering the question. Regardless of whether it asked to compare contrasting areas or not, the different ways they can be managed stay the same.
Normally the comparison questions would say "With contrasting areas, compare the different ways EQ's can be managed"

Even though I knew it wasn't to compare, I gave the different ways they can be managed in the two case studies I had knowledge on, because that was answering the question. Regardless of whether it asked to compare contrasting areas or not, the different ways they can be managed stay the same.

The question was about seismic events not just earthquakes wasn't it? I talked about the Boxing Day tsunami as well as two earthquakes so I hope that is valid as well
Reply 3351
Original post by abismall
It's tricky- I did the ecosystems essay and wondered whether going on about the Serengeti would get credited because human activity does effect the ecosystem in the local area, like local farmers causing desertification and poaching reducing biodiversity etc. In the end I just went with urban ecosystems in the uk and did heather moorland and conservation case studies, then went on about planned introduction of cane toads in Australia or something, but thinking about it I really don't see how you wouldn't get marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully I pick some up haha :smile: I think its more regional rather than on a local scale but many of the points relate to both so hopefully they are feeling nice :smile:
Original post by danielrhysowen
The question was about seismic events not just earthquakes wasn't it? I talked about the Boxing Day tsunami as well as two earthquakes so I hope that is valid as well

Yeah that would be relevant, good idea I should have thought about that too!
70/90 is normally full UMS LOOL
To be honest it wasn't a bad exam, the Separatism question at the end was really nice. The World Cities section wasn't too lovely but it can't be handed to you on a plate. I'm not meaning to sound nasty, but surely everyone knew to do 1 from Section A, 1 from B and 1 from C. We were briefed to so many times by the teachers and then by the exam invigilators. I think this was a good exam and I really hope I get my A* :smile:
Yeah that would be relevant, good idea I should have thought about that too!

Yes as Seismic events in anything related to volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis. The tsunami answer would of gave you an advantage as it's more breadth
Original post by MathsHoe
Yes as Seismic events in anything related to volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis. The tsunami answer would of gave you an advantage as it's more breadth

Can I ask what you did for this question in a little bit of detail please?
Original post by MathsHoe

Also, wouldn't volcanic events come under either volcanic/vulcanicity?
Reply 3358
Also, wouldn't volcanic events come under either volcanic/vulcanicity?

yeah talking about volcanoes for a seismicity question is completely wrong
Can I ask what you did for this question in a little bit of detail please?

Yes sure, what was the exact question again? (I forgot) I remember I discussed an aspect of all 3.

Quick Reply