The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CompSci101
Does anyone have a (link to)/(copy of) the current Edexcel A Level Mathematics Specification?
The one linked on their website currently points to a 404.
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024850%20GCE%20in%20Mathematics%20issue%202%20180510.pdf

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/C4/module.php
What proofs do we need to know (if any)?
Reply 4702
Original post by Kreayshawn
is there an easy way to tell if a fraction is top heavy, for when we're doing partial fractions?

usually when I look at the partial fraction I look at all its degree (or expand all the x's in my head)

ect

3hUwv.png

in my head i see the highest degree for the top being 3 and the lowest being 2 (also noticing it is in the final form - theres no further expanding)

3/2 is top heavy
Original post by keromedic
I've no idea how to draw graphs from parametric equations. Eek

We won't have to.
Original post by kuku2013
catch me up what question is this?

hi :smile:

integrating sin3xcosx dx
Original post by Myocardium
What proofs do we need to know (if any)?

y = a^x

dy/dx = a^x lna

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
All the best for tomorrow guys!! :biggrin:

Please remember though that discussion of this exam won't be allowed at all until midnight after the exam has taken place. This is to prevent people who haven't yet done the exam from getting an unfair advantage over you. More information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=373&a=629

Thanks, and good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 4707
Original post by Zaphod77
I'll be honest, I can't think of a way... I'd just stick to sec^2(x), a lot easier! I was trying to manipulate it, but I'm not sure you can... Sorry!

Its cool, the sec^2(x) is what I will keep in mind!
differenitate

at(1-t) ?

use product rule?
Well guys, my school said today that they have put in a complaint about that atrocious C3 paper we did on Thursday because they did say it was bang out of order!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
All the best for tomorrow guys!! :biggrin:

Please remember though that discussion of this exam won't be allowed at all until midnight after the exam has taken place. This is to prevent people who haven't yet done the exam from getting an unfair advantage over you. More information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=373&a=629

Thanks, and good luck! :biggrin:

But how comes, now they have international papers, so they cant

Hi,
Thanks for that, however I was wondering whether there is an official one from edexcel.

For example Physics Specification would look like this: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA026741_GCE_Lin_Physics_Issue_5.pdf

SinA + SinB = 2sin(A+B/2)cos(A-B/2)
1/2(SinA + SinB) = sin(A+B/2)cos(A-B/2)

A+B/2 = 3x
A-B/2 = x

A = 4x, B = 2x

Now integrate 0.5sin4x + 0.5sin2x
Reply 4713
Original post by Zaphod77
A general solution is one that contains a constant, e.g. after integration when you have "+c". A particular solution is one where you've worked out what "c" is.

Look at the highest power of x on the top and bottom. If the top has a higher power, it is top heavy.

thanks you're the best ^^

but what if the degree is the same as on the bottom - I heard it was also top heavy then, so like (x^2)/(3x^2+5) is this top heavy?
Original post by otrivine
The question you answered, and I asked is this integration ?

Oh sorry!

Yeah, you can do it by substitution. :yep:
But how comes, now they have international papers, so they cant

Because Edexcel told us we need to keep the restrictions and not all international countries do a different paper. :nah:
Reply 4716
hi :smile:

integrating sin3xcosx dx

you use the first trigonometric identity on the C3 part of the formula booklet something like sin(A plus/minus B) = sin A cosB( plus/minus) cosA sin B
Original post by kronca
usually when I look at the partial fraction I look at all its degree (or expand all the x's in my head)

ect

3hUwv.png

in my head i see the highest degree for the top being 3 and the lowest being 2 (also noticing it is in the final form - theres no further expanding)

3/2 is top heavy

And for that type you would be A + B/(whatever) + C/(whatever) ?
Correct, can you show me please

Ok first look at page 93, Example 6c.

You can see that sin3xcosx is in the addition formula sin (A+-B) = sinAcosB +- cosAsinB. A is obvs 3x & B is x.

So you can have sin (3x + x) = sin3xcosx + cos3xsinx

But you need to get sin3xcosx

You can also have sin (3x - x) = sin3xcosx - cos3xsinx

We need to get just sin3xcosx on it's own so in order to do that, you can tell that we need to add the equations: (sin3xcosx + cos3xsinx) + (sin3xcosx - cos3xsinx) so we end up with 2sin3xcosx.

You need to also therefore add the sin (3x+x) + sin(3x-x) so you get sin 4x + sin2x = 2sin3xcosx

Hence now just divide by 2 so you get 1/2(sin4x + sin2x) = sin3xcosx

Just integrate (sin4x + sin2x) & then x1/2 & subs limits in!!!

:biggrin:
Original post by Tikara
thanks you're the best ^^

but what if the degree is the same as on the bottom - I heard it was also top heavy then, so like (x^2)/(3x^2+5) is this top heavy?

Yes, in that you have to divide it through before splitting into partial fractions or create 3 fractions, as justinawe showed me earlier - I tend to divide through! Doing partial fractions normally don't work on that kind of fraction :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending