The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Infamous12
AOL and time warner was a big one that failed. Kraft & Cadbury is a good one aswell.

Original post by Superunknown17
BA and Iberia

If there was a question on mergers/takeovers, how many business examples would you have to use? 4? (2 for 2 against, or 1 for 3 against etc?)
Original post by laurenculver24
How did AOL and time warner fail?

i havent started my research on them yet. I just happened to know they failed :P
Reply 383
can someone do a perfect paragraph please?
Original post by iggyDash

give me a question i'll try :smile:
Reply 385

With reference to the item on Kraft and your own research, to what extent do you think that a corporate strategy of creating synergies is the main motive for takeovers?

On the one hand, it can be argued that the main motive for takeovers is the synergies, because takeover will lead to two companies operating as one unit. meaning there is an increase in the order that a business places with their suppliers. This in turn enables the business to benefit from lower unit cost due to economies of scale, meaning the business can lower its cost to attract more customers or keep the price as it is and enjoy high profit margin. this in turn enable the business to compete on price and so could lead to higher market share and monopoly power. this is evident in Kraft and Cadbury's. Kraft took over cadbury>>> (i haven't the research for takerovers and mergers). however, one of the motive/reason could be synergy, but it clearly depends on the organisation as the main motives for daimler and chrysler merger was to gain market power. therefore the main motives depends on the organisation and its objective, not necessarily synergy.

i am not sure if this is correct, will be great if someone improves it or give feedback.
Reply 386
Original post by needtosucceed=)
give me a question i'll try :smile:

does a strong organisations culture gurantee success of a businss?
Original post by MrBobb
With reference to the item on Kraft and your own research, to what extent do you think that a corporate strategy of creating synergies is the main motive for takeovers?

On the one hand, it can be argued that the main motive for takeovers is the synergies, because takeover will lead to two companies operating as one unit. meaning there is an increase in the order that a business places with their suppliers. This in turn enables the business to benefit from lower unit cost due to economies of scale, meaning the business can lower its cost to attract more customers or keep the price as it is and enjoy high profit margin. this in turn enable the business to compete on price and so could lead to higher market share and monopoly power. this is evident in Kraft and Cadbury's. Kraft took over cadbury>>> (i haven't the research for takerovers and mergers). however, one of the motive/reason could be synergy, but it clearly depends on the organisation as the main motives for daimler and chrysler merger was to gain market power. therefore the main motives depends on the organisation and its objective, not necessarily synergy.

i am not sure if this is correct, will be great if someone improves it or give feedback.

It's a good paragraph, for the other 3 paragraphs what other factors would you include :confused:
How long should a conclusion be for these questions?
Reply 389
How did AOL and time warner fail?

Time Warner and AOL failed due to their conflicting cultures. AOL had high tech younger workers, a very informal and less hierarchical structure than the traditional Time Warner, which is very set in their ways.
Hi im struggling here with a Section A question; "With reference to your own research and the item given to you, to what extent do you think that organisational culture of a business will guarantee a firms success."

Does that mean we have to come up with two points that support how organisational culture has guaranteed a firms success and two points that show that organisational culture has not guaranteed a firms success OR do we say for example leadership is also key to a firms success or the political structure e.g the NHS.

Hope this all makes sense!!!
Original post by peter24601
Hi im struggling here with a Section A question; "With reference to your own research and the item given to you, to what extent do you think that organisational culture of a business will guarantee a firms success."

Does that mean we have to come up with two points that support how organisational culture has guaranteed a firms success and two points that show that organisational culture has not guaranteed a firms success OR do we say for example leadership is also key to a firms success or the political structure e.g the NHS.

Hope this all makes sense!!!

I think the question is just asking you if the culture makes an impact on the success of the business. So you could use different businesses and say how it led it failure/success.

One of your factors could still be able leadership though (for example) the Leadership of Steve Jobs, as he created an innovative culture that stole Nokia's market share within the smart phone market and the power culture enabled centralised decision-making but it also allowed innovative designers to show their talent. However, when Cook took over Apple the culture continued to succeed due to sales figures of 22.9 million iPads sold in 2012. Is leadership really that important in reference to culture?

Not sure if this makes any sense :s-smilie:
Reply 392
It's a good paragraph, for the other 3 paragraphs what other factors would you include :confused:

first point will be from the stimulus material given
then another point supportingon the other hand, there may be other strategy for takeover. firm may takeover another firm for diversification (if you can get a point from the stimulus material that support this). however, firm x should manage the firm y effectively to prevent any demotivation and cultural clash. therefore it depends on the management (something like that)

furthermore, takeover may be for growth
Anyone provide me with some notes on any of these companies please please? Want to add to mine (especially Royal Mail)

ROYAL MAIL
BARCLAYS
JOHN LEWIS
GOOGLE
does a strong organisations culture gurantee success of a businss?

I believe a strong organisational culture can guarantee success for a business, due to the positive effect it has on business performance. For example, despite the recession profits for John Lewis are continually increasing. In the first quarter of 2013 each employee was given a bonus of 17% of their wages, equating to roughly 9 weeks pay. This is because of their strong culture; all employees are working towards the same goals and all have the same beliefs. Their strong culture includes making all employees part of the decision making (they have a staff council which gather employees ideas and complaints). This encourages staff to share their ideas to help improve business performance, for example by providing outstanding customer service which has given them a good reputation. All employees are viewed as equal and are respected, helping internal communication. Overall John Lewis's strong culture has guaranteed their success in the short term during financial difficulties in the economy. Their bonus culture encourages staff to make the firm a success, and the empowerment their culture brings motivates staff due to the increased responsibility they're given. However in the long term this financial method which motivates employees may not be able to be sustained, employees will be looking for other methods such as training and personal development.

that took me just under 10 minutes to write. no idea how good it is
anyone have any thoughts?

looking back on it now - my internal communication point should have been explained. in the mini evaluation I feel like i've said several points instead of just one and explaining it
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LukeKnights
Anyone provide me with some notes on any of these companies please please? Want to add to mine (especially Royal Mail)

ROYAL MAIL
BARCLAYS
JOHN LEWIS
GOOGLE

http://zigzageducation.co.uk/downloads/Business/buss4/5068-websites.html
Reply 396
Hello, I was wondering what the grade boundaries are for this exam, raw marks please. Just this exam.
Reply 397

ROYAL MAIL
BARCLAYS
JOHN LEWIS
GOOGLE

Barclays - culture of being unethical and profit hungry needed to change . Bob Diamond left and new CEO Antony Jenkins joined . He trained employees the new values and used training in order to get rid of previous culture. He still used bonus culture however he made this positive by giving bonuses when employees were successful with the company's new values.
Reply 398
I'm not sure if this is a good way to balance out your time, what do people think: Section A: 5mins planning, 2mins introduction, 10mins para1, 10mins para2, 10mins para3, 10mins para4, conclusion 5 mins, Same for section B
Reply 399

ROYAL MAIL
BARCLAYS
JOHN LEWIS
GOOGLE

Royal Mail: appointed Moya Greene as the new CEO to modernise, had 4 years of negative cash flow in a row, Royal Mail is undertaking the largest transformation in the UK, employees are at the forefront of this transformation, Royal Mail increased its investment in training and equipment, spending on safety, increase in operating profit from £152 million to £440 million due to increase in parcel business (external factor technological: increased in sales from online shopping)and cost control, 13% increase in parcel business.

Barclays: previous CEO Bob Diamond created a greedy and short-term culture, where extreme tax avoidance was at the centre, libor rate fixing scandal, PPI misselling scandal, this culture damaged the interests of stakeholders, high bonuses of £6 billion for staff and £1.4 dividend for shareholders, NEW CEO Anthony Jenkins has a new vision for the company, has five values: stewardship, excellence, service, respect and integrity, removed the commission based system which led to PPI misselling. training more than 1000 employees to spread the new values and sent memo to 140,000 employees that a change is required otherwise sacked/fired. resistant will arise from employees

Google: google has a innovative, risk taking and enterprising culture, power/task culture, employees empowered, responsibility is delegated, freedom, can work own their own project, valued and respected, made $50 billion global revenue, motivated workforce.

Hopes it Helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending