The Student Room Group

Senior Physics Challenge 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MattJCP
Ok thanks, just checking, I'm be pretty annoyed if I got through all this just to be rejected because my letter didn't get through haha

Better than being rejected outright because you go to the wrong (in many ways right) type of school....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Goods
Better than being rejected outright because you go to the wrong (in many ways right) type of school....

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by that?
Reply 42
Original post by ltigers
What do you mean by that?

I got rejected from every summer school and course I applied to purely on the grounds I attend an independent school. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
I got rejected from every summer school and course I applied to purely on the grounds I attend an independent school. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I attend an independent school and I got accepted.. What makes you think it's your school that is the reason you got rejected...?
Reply 44
Original post by Goods

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which did you apply to, and also I know people who got on the spc even though they were from an independent school.-see above poster
Clearly, if you applied to uniq/Sutton trust you would have been rejected.
Reply 45
Original post by ltigers
Which did you apply to, and also I know people who got on the spc even though they were from an independent school.-see above poster
Clearly, if you applied to uniq/Sutton trust you would have been rejected.

I got an email saying they couldn't accept my application and it was definitely within the deadline unless second class post can take more than 6 days...
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm at Christ's, is anyone else at Christ's? :smile:
Reply 47
Hey guys, just signed up to tsr to discuss this.
I've got in, but having exams hadn't even looked at the preliminary stuff until now.
Its all content I've never encountered before and I'm struggling, is there any online resource I can use to teach it to myself?
Feeling apprehensive that I'm perhaps out of my depth here.
Reply 48
Original post by jlane2
I've got in, but having exams hadn't even looked at the preliminary stuff until now.
Its all content I've never encountered before and I'm struggling, is there any online resource I can use to teach it to myself?

Hey! I know what you mean, I've only looked through a bit and am also finding it quite challenging... I found it helps if you just keep going over it again and again? (I know that sound kind of stupid though..)
Don't know of any online resources, sorry :frown:
You could try asking your physics teacher?
Original post by jlane2

I haven't found it that bad... So I'm happy to discuss it with you if you want...
Reply 50
Original post by athene7
Hey! I know what you mean, I've only looked through a bit and am also finding it quite challenging... I found it helps if you just keep going over it again and again? (I know that sound kind of stupid though..)
Don't know of any online resources, sorry :frown:
You could try asking your physics teacher?

Yeah I'm slogging through it slowly, repetition does seem to help.
My physics teacher is pre-occupied with A2 students for the moment so I'm on my own, unless I can glean any assistance from the maths department.
Reply 51
Original post by Goods

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean, I also go to an independent school and my teacher did say that this course was designed for state schools. However I'm not sure to what extent that's true
Reply 52
Does everyone here do further maths? I only do regular maths, do you think I'll be at a disadvantage?
Reply 53
Original post by MattJCP
Does everyone here do further maths? I only do regular maths, do you think I'll be at a disadvantage?

I don't do it either :smile: this is what I was thinking, so I'm going to try and go over some A2 stuff beforehand..
Reply 54
Original post by athene7
I don't do it either :smile: this is what I was thinking, so I'm going to try and go over some A2 stuff beforehand..

They won't ask you how to derive things from scratch without showing you how and so I doubt you would be at a disadvantage as long as your algebra and calculus are good enough to follow what's going on per-say. I'm so jealous of all of you... Could someone send me the advanced reading so I could look at it even though I'm not on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
I'm having a lot of trouble with the content in the QM primer. The differential equations are really tough, and i struggle to see how the course requires AS maths? It seems the Primer is mostly C3, C4 and DE differential techniques, and some exercises go further.
Reply 56
Original post by Goods
They won't ask you how to derive things from scratch without showing you how and so I doubt you would be at a disadvantage as long as your algebra and calculus are good enough to follow what's going on per-say. I'm so jealous of all of you... Could someone send me the advanced reading so I could look at it even though I'm not on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We get Chapter 1 of the QM Primer. Free to download from their website: http://www.cavendish-quantum.org.uk/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Timi797
We get Chapter 1 of the QM Primer. Free to download from their website: http://www.cavendish-quantum.org.uk/

Thanks just read the preface it looks interesting it doesn't look like the maths will be too hard apart from complex numbers. Have fun on the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by athene7
Queens :smile:

I was at Queen's last year - it's a really lovely place, and the people there were great. Enjoy it!

To all of those of you who've got places - it's a realllly great experience which, if you go with the right attitude, you'll really enjoy. With regards to the primer - sit down, spend some time, and work through it. There's nothing on there (with the exception of a few pieces of statistics algebra) that you *can't* do - though it will challenge you, and you will almost certainly benefit from a visit to your physics or maths teachers. They don't "test" you as such on the primer, but you're going to spend time doing Chapters 2, 3, and possibly more in some of the sessions - so you do need to try and get it under your belt. I was slightly tight for time with exams, but you can do the vast bulk of it over a weekend if you put your mind to it.

Don't worry about feeling under-qualified - it's called a "challenge" for a reason - there's no fun if it doesn't push you (well?) out of your comfort zone!
Original post by athene7

The only thing you probably wont know, that is required is Imeginary/Complex numbers. These are pretty easy at FP1 level, so you shouldnt have any problems. I dont think they will require us to know complex numbers at FP2 level, because if they do, then you will find it challenging. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending