The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hunty27
I'm not sure if this is a good way to balance out your time, what do people think: Section A: 5mins planning, 2mins introduction, 10mins para1, 10mins para2, 10mins para3, 10mins para4, conclusion 5 mins, Same for section B

that's a really good use of time :smile: what makes you think its not? the 10mins are good to write the chunky paragraphs, 5 mins is a good way to quickly choose what question to do and plan it.
Reply 401
Original post by needtosucceed=)
that's a really good use of time :smile: what makes you think its not? the 10mins are good to write the chunky paragraphs, 5 mins is a good way to quickly choose what question to do and plan it.

for my revision I have been doing essays under this time structure but It is hard to follow, especially 10mins per para, so I thought I might be balancing my time wrong.
Reply 402
Has any got any useful resources or just tips they can share? I'm doing this exam as an external student so literally haven't had a single lesson on it and i'm really struggling to find useful ways to revise, just seems like everything i do is a waste of time an i'm non the wiser about what i need to do! :frown:
I have some tutor2u presentations that i've been looking at but it doesn't really seem like there is enough information on them to produce a good essay from :/ even with business examples!
Original post by Hunty27
for my revision I have been doing essays under this time structure but It is hard to follow, especially 10mins per para, so I thought I might be balancing my time wrong.

do you think you need more than 10 mins? I personally struggle to write in such a short space of time but its all about being selective with what you want to write, and trying to write as quickly as possible (but still being legible)
Reply 404
Can someone tell me about the Kraft and Cadbury merger? i struggle to find information.

thanks
Reply 405
Original post by needtosucceed=)
do you think you need more than 10 mins? I personally struggle to write in such a short space of time but its all about being selective with what you want to write, and trying to write as quickly as possible (but still being legible)

In the exam im going to be really organised. I have a stopwatch on my watch and I am going to use that in the exam. Usually I can do the ten min paragraphs but 15secs over the time, add an extra 15 sec to all four para is 1 min over the time I have set. So I think I might be able to squeeze it all in, nut I can't have one break. which means I must think what to write as I am writing which is never good in an exam I don't think. Also I have no time to check my work, which is never good. :frown:
might sound daft, but what is theme of this paper and what are the 5 bullet points???? :s
Original post by Hunty27
In the exam im going to be really organised. I have a stopwatch on my watch and I am going to use that in the exam. Usually I can do the ten min paragraphs but 15secs over the time, add an extra 15 sec to all four para is 1 min over the time I have set. So I think I might be able to squeeze it all in, nut I can't have one break. which means I must think what to write as I am writing which is never good in an exam I don't think. Also I have no time to check my work, which is never good. :frown:

yea timing is verrry tight in business exams, try aim for 9mins per para then, so you've got time to think+check. I know its tough but just be hard on yourself during the exam :smile:
Reply 408
ok Guys! I just want to say thanks for all your posts but I got this questions in my mind and I need someone to help me with it plss

thanks in advance :biggrin:
what businesses can I used for strategic planning and why?
what businesses used scientific or hunch decision making and why?
how does culture influence choice of strategy?
how does culture implement strategy?
how does question influence performance?
how does key stakeholders influence the business culture?
what innovation culture as lead to failure?

I want businesses example to each question as well plssss!

God bless u! and thanks in ADVANCE
When we are analysing our points, we can use previous units' theory and get marks right? For example, would you get marks for using porters theory with tesco in this paper?
Reply 410
How has anything on jonh lewis'es organisational culture?
Reply 411
Original post by iggyDash
does a strong organisations culture gurantee success of a businss?

A strong organisational culture does guarantee the success of a business because it can greatly effect just how competitive a business is within its market and therefore the profits, which it produces. A business which has a strong organizational culture is one in which the employees believe in the corporate values of the company. This is evident in Google. Google has a company policy of always encouraging staff to do more and to think outside the bubble. This is thought to generate more creativity and variation in every job. This would therefore allow staff to be motivated and thus allowing them to be creative and innovative. Greater motivation would also decrease absenteeism amongst the workforce and so increasing loyalty of employees to a business and so allowing staff turnover to remain low. This would therefore increase efficiency and so allowing productivity to increase, therefore leading to lower costs thus allowing the business to decrease their price and so have an advantage over competitors and so leading to greater sales and profits and so allowing the business to be successful. Revenue in the quarter that ended December 31 2012 was up 36 per cent from the same period a year earlier thus proving the great benefits, which the correct organizational culture could have for a business financially. Linking back to the question a strong organisational culture would mean that employees are more motivated thus allow efficiency to increase thus allowing the business to decrease costs, and so lower prices, resulting in higher sales and profit and business success. However this depends on the prices which customers are requesting for their products, as lower prices elsewhere would mean that the business would loose customers to competitors therefore causing lower sales, and poor revenue leading to potential cash flow problems and business failure.

but you could cut certain parts out so that you are able to fit it in within the time you are given.
Reply 412
Original post by sofiax0
I'm sure you have improved too so :smile:

erm we'll ive done most of my research at school over the past couple months, so now (i say now, as in literally only just about to start) im just gonna make like pages with key facts etc. the best website is tutor2u, and the stuff on here is good http://tutor2u.net/buss4revision.pdf

Can you post the essays pleeeaaase :biggrin:
Reply 413
How has anything on jonh lewis'es organisational culture?

John lewis- have a culture of involving staff at every hierarchical layer with decision making. Staff own john lewis therefore the success of the business is at their best interest. They have introduced a strong internal training system- the university of john lewis, which trains employees with a skills programme making sure they have the right skills to meet the challenges they face in an evolving retail enviroment. its the great business which uses its organisational culture as a competitive advantage. they have employees which maintain a stratgey of good customer service eg selling consumer electronics which is based on what the consumer actually needs.

you can also have a quick read through this article which has found that their sales have recently dropped in the past few months, therefore just how strong is their culture ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jun/14/john-lewis-sales-drop-level
Reply 414
Original post by monika_s
A strong organisational culture does guarantee the success of a business because it can greatly effect just how competitive a business is within its market and therefore the profits, which it produces. A business which has a strong organizational culture is one in which the employees believe in the corporate values of the company. This is evident in Google. Google has a company policy of always encouraging staff to do more and to think outside the bubble. This is thought to generate more creativity and variation in every job. This would therefore allow staff to be motivated and thus allowing them to be creative and innovative. Greater motivation would also decrease absenteeism amongst the workforce and so increasing loyalty of employees to a business and so allowing staff turnover to remain low. This would therefore increase efficiency and so allowing productivity to increase, therefore leading to lower costs thus allowing the business to decrease their price and so have an advantage over competitors and so leading to greater sales and profits and so allowing the business to be successful. Revenue in the quarter that ended December 31 2012 was up 36 per cent from the same period a year earlier thus proving the great benefits, which the correct organizational culture could have for a business financially. Linking back to the question a strong organisational culture would mean that employees are more motivated thus allow efficiency to increase thus allowing the business to decrease costs, and so lower prices, resulting in higher sales and profit and business success. However this depends on the prices which customers are requesting for their products, as lower prices elsewhere would mean that the business would loose customers to competitors therefore causing lower sales, and poor revenue leading to potential cash flow problems and business failure.

but you could cut certain parts out so that you are able to fit it in within the time you are given.

This is great, top analysis, application and evaluation
Reply 415
John lewis- have a culture of involving staff at every hierarchical layer with decision making. Staff own john lewis therefore the success of the business is at their best interest. They have introduced a strong internal training system- the university of john lewis, which trains employees with a skills programme making sure they have the right skills to meet the challenges they face in an evolving retail enviroment. its the great business which uses its organisational culture as a competitive advantage. they have employees which maintain a stratgey of good customer service eg selling consumer electronics which is based on what the consumer actually needs.

you can also have a quick read through this article which has found that their sales have recently dropped in the past few months, therefore just how strong is their culture ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jun/14/john-lewis-sales-drop-level

Thank you :biggrin:
How you feeling about exam, ready?
Reply 416
Thank you :biggrin:
How you feeling about exam, ready?

if i had twice the amount of time we get and all my research information i think it could go alright .. but right now, with the way i know my research, not so much :s-smilie:

you ?
Reply 417
if i had twice the amount of time we get and all my research information i think it could go alright .. but right now, with the way i know my research, not so much :s-smilie:

you ?

No deffonately not . lots of cramming left to do including some extra research
I've just tried a question on how leadership is the greatest influence on corporate culture, to what extent do you agree? I could answer if I knew what else influences corporate culture.
Reply 419
Original post by MrBobb
This is great, top analysis, application and evaluation

its a great answer, just a matter of writing it in the timed conditions which may be a bit tight :s-smilie:

Quick Reply