The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mallika
Just one more question :colondollar:

What if it wasn't symmetrical? Or would we never such a graph in C4? (There's a question like this in the mixed exercise for integration which is why I'm asking)
Thank you again

I'm guessing there are some straight lines or something? You would have to split up the area.
help me with differentiating brackets -

i know you can differentiate a term like (x-1)^3 without expanding

but what if it was x^2 or x^3 term in the bracket, or if it were a quadratic/cubic? Does the differentiating method still work?
Original post by Rayquaza
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371498992.588221.jpg

How do you integrate this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it differentiates to -2 x 2(2-2x)ln(2), so you would have to divide by -2ln(2).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lollage123
help me with differentiating brackets -

i know you can differentiate a term like (x-1)^3 without expanding

but what if it was x^2 or x^3 term in the bracket, or if it were a quadratic/cubic? Does the differentiating method still work?

Yes, the chain rule still applies, so you multiply by the power on the bracket and then multiply by the differential of the bracket.
Reply 4864
Original post by Fiyinad
Yh i get dat bit buh wah if cot3x came up in the exam? would it be 1/3ln[sin(3x)]?

Yes, always differentiate back to check if it works.
Reply 4865
Original post by Mallika
Just one more question :colondollar:

What if it wasn't symmetrical? Or would we never such a graph in C4? (There's a question like this in the mixed exercise for integration which is why I'm asking)
Thank you again

You can use the parameter to integrate around the whole loop. It is difficult to explain but check out the January 2010 paper, question 7b).

This is symetrical, so the mark scheme finds the area of the top half and doubles it. However, you can integrate from t=-3 to t=3 and this yields the correct answer without having to double the answer.
Reply 4866
can someone intergrate 2^(x+y) dx

use implicit intergration
Reply 4867
Original post by Econ1994
Someone PLEASE post their solution to question 7c from paper E!!! Emailed my teacher and they havent replied -_-

Solomon paper E?

If so, hope this helps: :smile:

C4 8.png
In an experiment a scientist considered the loss of mass of a collection of picked leaves. The
mass M grams of a single leaf was measured at times t days after the leaf was picked.
The scientist attempted to find a relationship between M and t. In a preliminary model she
assumed that the rate of loss of mass was proportional to the mass M grams of the leaf.
(a) Write down a differential equation for the rate of change of mass of the leaf, using this
model.
(2)
(b) Show, by differentiation, that M = 10(0.98)^t
satisfies this differential equation.

I am really stuck on part b, can anyone help?

I've got this far: dm/dt=-kv
For the diffrentiation part: dM/dt: 10x0.98^(t)xln(0.98)

Please! I'm desperate! help!
Reply 4869
Anyone has an idea on how to integrate functions like A power x^2?

Like 2 to the power x^2 ( 2^(x^2))

Thank you.
Original post by PythianLegume
Well, it differentiates to -2 x 2(2-2x)ln(2), so you would have to divide by -2ln(2).

How, I got
1/ln2 * 2^(2-2x) (for integrating it)
Reply 4871
Original post by PythianLegume

Where did the -2 come from?
can some one please help my post is on the previous page
Original post by Kreayshawn
can someone explain to me why the x goes in the bolded line?

It's differentiated with respect to x, so x is removed.
Reply 4874
Original post by Rayquaza
Where did the -2 come from?

if you differentiate (2-2x) you get -2
Reply 4875
Original post by 101101

How likely is something to do with parallel lines in vectors coming up. I have never seen it in a test paper.
Reply 4876
Original post by 101101

Cheers.
Reply 4877
Original post by bloomingblossoms
In an experiment a scientist considered the loss of mass of a collection of picked leaves. The
mass M grams of a single leaf was measured at times t days after the leaf was picked.
The scientist attempted to find a relationship between M and t. In a preliminary model she
assumed that the rate of loss of mass was proportional to the mass M grams of the leaf.
(a) Write down a differential equation for the rate of change of mass of the leaf, using this
model.
(2)
(b) Show, by differentiation, that M = 10(0.98)^t
satisfies this differential equation.

Is there any more information given in the question?
Original post by Frankster
It's differentiated with respect to x, so x is removed.

oh right obviously.
thanks!

does anyone know any other proofs we need to know?
also which shapes area/volume should i memorise?
Reply 4879
Original post by Supes180
If you swap limits by substitution and you end up with limits that have a different size order, do you still go from high to low/top to bottom? For example 35 dx\int^5_3 \ dx turns into 42 du\int^2_4 \ du Is that right? Or should it be 24 du\int^4_2 \ du

always keep the upper limit the upper limit and the lower limit the lower limit, even if the lower becomes greater the upper after using substitution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending