The Student Room Group

Why are bus drivers so angry and rude?

As someone who has to take the bus quite frequently, this is an issue which has been bugging me recently. I find bus drivers incredibly rude. I understand that they have a lot to deal with and a timetable to stick to, but most bus drivers lack simple courtesy such as a simple 'Thank you' and 'Goodbye'.

Recently I had a bus driver shake his fist at me for no reason when I raised my hand as he stopped the bus. Once I sat down, I noticed he'd printed out a Single ticket instead of the Return I had asked for. I decided to wait until we'd stopped in town before I told him about the error, so I didn't disturb him from driving. When I told him, he shouted "WHY DO YOU TELL ME NOW AND NOT BEFORE?" There was a definite language barrier, but I don't understand why he had to shout and get so angry over something which was his error in the first place :s-smilie:

Most bus drivers I've witnessed are so horrible to other people, especially the elderly. I've seen people ask them brief questions and they get incredibly impatient and rude. I saw one old woman with about 10 shopping bags ask the driver if he could just wait a little until she found her ticket in her bag, and he shouted at her that he couldn't wait and for her to get off, so she had to get off and wait even longer.

What I have found interesting, is that I go to a university in Wales and the bus drivers there are so different to how they are back here in England. They say hello, thank you and goodbye and are a lot nicer and more polite. I know these are only little things but I really don't understand why bus drivers over here seem so angry and irritable. Why go for the job in the first place if you're aware that it will demanding and tiring and you'll be dealing with a lot of people?

Has anyone else had bad experiences with bus drivers?

Scroll to see replies

Well when you mean 'England', you need to be more specific.

In London I think the bus drivers are alright, I usually am the last person to get off at Turnpike Lane Station and I always exit through the front door (even though it's a double decker bus and has it's rear door open) and say 'cheers' to the bus driver. 95% of them have acknowledged me by nodding their head, which is all you want really from them. Having said that, I've been getting off at Turnpike Lane to catch the tube literally 100's of times.
Reply 2
I strongly dislike most of them tbh. A smile wouldn't hurt would it?

I've once been told to get off the bus because i didn't specify where i wanted my return ticket to be FROM. Still confused to this day.
Reply 3
Poor pay + Long Hours + Cramped Conditions = Angry Bus Driver.
Yeah, me and my boyfriend were about to get on a bus, and there was a girl in front of us in the queue. So we waited for her to get on, and then as I was about to get on, the bus driver started to drive away (the doors shut in my face), looked at me, almost did stop (he hadn't gotten anywhere at this point), then looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and drove away.
It was bizarre.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
100% agree. But if you'd been driving the same route for 20+ years, at basic pay i doubt you'd be greeting everyone that comes on and off the bus. At the end of the day it's their job to drive the bus, nothing more.
Reply 6
Original post by James A

In London I think the bus drivers are alright, I usually am the last person to get off at Turnpike Lane Station and I always exit through the front door (even though it's a double decker bus and has it's rear door open) and say 'cheers' to the bus driver. 95% of them have acknowledged me by nodding their head, which is all you want really from them. Having said that, I've been getting off at Turnpike Lane to catch the tube literally 100's of times.

I live in Essex. Most of the bus drivers seem to have language barriers so I guess this is the reason as they don't seem to understand a lot, but there's still no need for them to be so rude.

The ones in Wales are basically as you've described, they always acknowledge me and are polite. One of them even had a happy little chat with me about what I was up to for the day! Just a simple acknowledgment would do, though they never bother in Essex and never smile.

Original post by james1211
I strongly dislike most of them tbh. A smile wouldn't hurt would it?

I've once been told to get off the bus because i didn't specify where i wanted my return ticket to be FROM. Still confused to this day.

Same here, the ones I've encountered at home don't even smile.

Original post by advice_guru
Poor pay + Long Hours + Cramped Conditions = Angry Bus Driver.

I suppose so, but they must know what they're in for when they apply for the job.
Oh down here they just drive past if they can't be bothered. Luckily that doesn't happen to me much or I would be more inclined to use their rival company, who are cheaper but just more infrequent
Reply 8
Original post by beccagood95
Yeah, me and my boyfriend were about to get on a bus, and there was a girl in front of us in the queue. So we waited for her to get on, and then as I was about to get on, the bus driver started to drive away (the doors shut in my face), looked at me, almost did stop (he hadn't gotten anywhere at this point), then looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and drove away.
It was bizarre.

That sounds crazy :s-smilie: I've had the doors close sharply behind me just as I've got on and the bus speed away before I've even sat down, almost causing me to topple over, but not anything like that.

Original post by NWA
100% agree. But if you'd been driving the same route for 20+ years, at basic pay i doubt you'd be greeting everyone that comes on and off the bus. At the end of the day it's their job to drive the bus, nothing more.

True, I suppose it'd get repetitive. They seem to strongly dislike people asking them questions though, to which they get rude and snappy.
Reply 9
I hate them too, I was crossing the road the other day and lights turned green halfway when the bus driver moved about an inch and stopped right in the middle of me because there was traffic in front of him. I stared at him angrily, punched the window and gave him a finger and everyone was looking at me haha
Reply 10
The ones in Nottingham are absolute ***** (a curse word, not four stars)

They wait at stops for over 5 minutes when there's clearly nobody coming (and making everybody late in the process) and take their own time to leave.

I complain to Nottingham City Transport and they fob me off saying buses are classed as 'on time' if they're up to 5 minutes late but can also leave 1 minute early. One bus driver took over 3 minutes to leave from our stop and it took us 30 mins for a 25 minute journey.
Original post by James A

In Leeds, they're not angry or rude - just bloody dangerous! :eek:
Reply 12
Haha, lol, I have this problem too.

i was once getting a bus from about 20 minutes away for my house and I was 5p short of a fare and it was the last bus running (around 7:30) and when I didn't have enough i just kinda stood there, and the bus driver was like "Well, get off then" so I, 14 at the time, was left in a bus shelter in the pitch black and rain... My parents had to come and pick me up...

my hindsight message, bus drivers are generally colossal douches, and always bring enough money (lol)
england drivers are actually quite nice-they smile at me when i get on the bus and if they see me they SOMETIMES stop the bus to let me on:biggrin:
Reply 14
Trust me, if they didn't rush old people, the bus would take 2 hours for a 15 minute route.
Original post by dazzer19

i was once getting a bus from about 20 minutes away for my house and I was 5p short of a fare and it was the last bus running (around 7:30) and when I didn't have enough i just kinda stood there, and the bus driver was like "Well, get off then" so I, 14 at the time, was left in a bus shelter in the pitch black and rain... My parents had to come and pick me up...

my hindsight message, bus drivers are generally colossal douches, and always bring enough money (lol)

sad
Original post by Jabberwox
As someone who has to take the bus quite frequently, this is an issue which has been bugging me recently. I find bus drivers incredibly rude. I understand that they have a lot to deal with and a timetable to stick to, but most bus drivers lack simple courtesy such as a simple 'Thank you' and 'Goodbye'.

Recently I had a bus driver shake his fist at me for no reason when I raised my hand as he stopped the bus. Once I sat down, I noticed he'd printed out a Single ticket instead of the Return I had asked for. I decided to wait until we'd stopped in town before I told him about the error, so I didn't disturb him from driving. When I told him, he shouted "WHY DO YOU TELL ME NOW AND NOT BEFORE?" There was a definite language barrier, but I don't understand why he had to shout and get so angry over something which was his error in the first place :s-smilie:

Most bus drivers I've witnessed are so horrible to other people, especially the elderly. I've seen people ask them brief questions and they get incredibly impatient and rude. I saw one old woman with about 10 shopping bags ask the driver if he could just wait a little until she found her ticket in her bag, and he shouted at her that he couldn't wait and for her to get off, so she had to get off and wait even longer.

What I have found interesting, is that I go to a university in Wales and the bus drivers there are so different to how they are back here in England. They say hello, thank you and goodbye and are a lot nicer and more polite. I know these are only little things but I really don't understand why bus drivers over here seem so angry and irritable. Why go for the job in the first place if you're aware that it will demanding and tiring and you'll be dealing with a lot of people?

Has anyone else had bad experiences with bus drivers?

I think it's mainly bus drivers in cities/busy places etc.

Idk, but sometimes I hate being from a city, everyone is just in a rush and dead rude sometimes,

But oh well :ashamed2:
Reply 17
It's because they have to hold it in until their break. :eek:
Original post by Coffinman
It's because they have to hold it in until their break. :eek:

lol
Original post by dazzer19

I'm pretty sure that bus drivers aren't supposed to leave vulnerable and young people out alone if they don't have any other form of transport, even if they don't have the correct bus fare... They're supposed to take down your details so you can send the bus company the correct amount at a later date. That was mean of him.

Latest