The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Hello.

Can anyone please explain the answer for 3b (half equation) from this specimen paper?
Question Mark Scheme
Thanks,

Mark
Original post by lifeisgood2012
Guys how would you do question 4biv and 4c??? and 5bii and 5cii???
i have no ideaaa :frown:

are these answers to the chem exam tomorrow ?
Hi!
I'm really confused! Question 1c(iii) Jan 2013
why did we have to use the BB-BF to find the enthalpy of formation?
I though enthalpy of formation has it own sets of values??
thanks!
is ther eany answers to the chem regents tomorrow?
I understand - thanks again :smile:

Original post by crc290
Well when you're writing cell representations, the most positive electrode goes on the right. The reduced species go furthest away from the salt bridge and the oxidised species go closest to the salt bridge. You're told you have to use platinum contacts. Since all of the species are aqueous, you can use commas to separate them instead of lines

Pt | SO32-(aq), SO42-(aq) || ClO3-(aq), Cl-(aq) | Pt

When you're writing overall equations, you always reverse the half-equation with the lower E value i.e.
ClO3- + 6H+ + 6e- \rightarrow Cl- + 3H2O
SO32- + H2O \rightarrow SO42- + 2H+ + 2e-

Then just combine them as you usually would:
ClO3- + 3SO32- \rightarrow Cl- + + 3SO42-

ClO3- is reduced, so it must be the oxidising agent. SO32- is oxidised, so it must be the reducing agent

Hopefully I've done everything right. If you need anything explained just quote me :smile:
Ratios for the titration questions:

P4O10 4 H3PO4 (1:4)
H3PO4 3 NaOH (1:3)
Cr2O7 6 Fe (1:6)
2MnO4 5 H2O2 (2:5)
2MnO4 5 C2O4 (2:5)
H2O2 and Chromium (3:2)
H2O2 and Cobalt (1:2)

Anyone see any mistakes, or have any more to add kindly do so! :smile:
Reply 1566
Just done another past paper. 90/100 :woo:

Need to go over the explanation for the colours 'cause I keep losing a mark on that. Need to work on the explanation on why a reaction will not be feasible when you increase/decrease temp. I understand the whole thing but I'm not hitting the marks :rolleyes:
Original post by AmyLH
Just done another past paper. 90/100 :woo:

Need to go over the explanation for the colours 'cause I keep losing a mark on that. Need to work on the explanation on why a reaction will not be feasible when you increase/decrease temp. I understand the whole thing but I'm not hitting the marks :rolleyes:

Just woke up because I was thinking of the colours I thought I had remembered lol

I have a similar problem

Colours = Light energy is absorbed, this excites electrons in the 3d sub-shell, the colour reflected is a mixture of the colours left behind

Entropy will depend upon whether the enthalpy change of the reaction is positive or negative as well as the entropy

e.g a negative enthalpy + positive entropy, increased temp will make gibbs free-energy change negative so reaction feasible
positive enthalphy +negative entropy, increased temp will make gibbs free energy positive because a the negative sign in entropy becomes a positive

Hope that makes sense, is a little late/early lol
Is the electronegativity of an atom different from the electronegativity between atoms?
On the period 3 elements, the electronegativity of individual atoms increase as go across - but the electronegativity between atoms in the oxides decrease as go across- is this right?

Also what is the difference between electronegativity and polarising power? they seem similar
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1569
Does anyone know where I can find paper and mark scheme for Jan 2013!?! Need it pretty bad. Thanks :smile:
When writing cell representations, when you write what the electrodes are made of? Also, when is it just platinum?
Original post by 16dan2life
that was part of the legacy spec, synoptic stuff was required. Not for us

Are you sure?I thought this module was synoptic too? :s-smilie:
Reply 1572
Original post by antonio108
When writing cell representations, when you write what the electrodes are made of? Also, when is it just platinum?

I think a platinum electrode is used when the reactant/product is non solid. So if it's aqueous or gaseous a platinum electrode is used to conduct electrons.

e.g Pt|H2(g)|2H+(aq) ||
may be a stupid.question but can someone tell me how can u tell a.cell.is rechargeable
Reply 1574
In the june 12 paper how are you supposed to know the reaction between phosphoric acid and magnesium oxide? Qs 1e(i) if anyone wants to take a look

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1575
Please help me with this question, its so hard
Reply 1576
Original post by TaraBelle
Are you sure?I thought this module was synoptic too? :s-smilie:

I had a look at the specification about whether this unit was synoptic, and it said that all A2 units do have to have some synoptic element, and although this isn't an entirely separate assessment, it is sort of woven into the questions e.g. stuff like bond angles and oxidation states which are in the first unit.
However this unit doesn't have synoptic stuff from unit 4 (and probably most of unit 2 as these units both featured lots of organic chemistry) as unit 4 and 5 can be taken in any order
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by popnit
In the june 12 paper how are you supposed to know the reaction between phosphoric acid and magnesium oxide? Qs 1e(i) if anyone wants to take a look

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're supposed to know how each p3 reacts as an acid or base
Reply 1578
Original post by Beth_L_G
You're supposed to know how each p3 reacts as an acid or base

Yeah but this is a reaction with an oxide which is neither an acid nor a base

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1579
Original post by popnit
Yeah but this is a reaction with an oxide which is neither an acid nor a base

Posted from TSR Mobile

The oxide is a base in terms of Bronsted-Lowry as it accepts protons (H+) from the phosphoric acid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending