The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Biology Unit 5 6BI05 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1320
What was the one about the IAA *binding* to the transcription factor. Were they implying that it disabled it - or that it activated it? Should I have put stuff about the two ways into the cell - the steroid vs peptide action. I couldn't quite see what they were driving at there. Anyone feel they got that one?

Apart from that, the strange enzyme one, and I am not sure I explained how the drug stops calcium entering the membrane, it was OK. I loved the pre-release ones.

Oh well - wait till August now I guess...
Reply 1321
For the tumour appearing white in the MRI scan, I said tumour cells are continuously dividing, so there is more respiration occurring; more water present in these cells; therefore more protons; more radio waves absorbed/re-emitted so they appear brighter on the scan.
Does this even make sense? :/
Reply 1322
Original post by Ziggy_72
What was the one about the IAA *binding* to the transcription factor. Were they implying that it disabled it - or that it activated it? Should I have put stuff about the two ways into the cell - the steroid vs peptide action. I couldn't quite see what they were driving at there. Anyone feel they got that one?

Apart from that, the strange enzyme one, and I am not sure I explained how the drug stops calcium entering the membrane, it was OK. I loved the pre-release ones.

Oh well - wait till August now I guess...

I was unsure about that too. I put it activated it because there was more proteins being made (cos of cell elongation). I think I got the rest of the marks on describing translation and transcription.
Reply 1323
Original post by SKK94
For the tumour appearing white in the MRI scan, I said tumour cells are continuously dividing, so there is more respiration occurring; more water present in these cells; therefore more protons; more radio waves absorbed/re-emitted so they appear brighter on the scan.

Yeah, I think you've got that one right. I just googled it. I put something about it being denser so it absorbs more radio waves grrrr.
Reply 1324
For the auxin control I said 2 blocks with normal auxin.
Did anyone else put that?
Reply 1325
Damn I have another exam tomorrow, cya guys. *REVISION MODE ACTIVATED*:P
Original post by SKK94

i wrote the same thing about them being very active and i think constantly dividing .... but i said they didnt absorb any radiowaves :redface: but yours seems to make sense yes
Reply 1327
For the enzyme, could you write about tertiary structure, different bonds such as hydrogen ionic etc, specific activate sites, once stimulated enzyme substrate and metabolic reaction?
For ct MRI, how many marks will I get for saying narrow beam x rays and MRI radio waves, MRI give clearer picture.
For the two differences, I wrote greater problem solving and personality, then what do you put? I said greater synapses and more connections of neurones in the section?
For the one about mole rats how humans survive in less co2, could you talk about inspiratiry and expiratory system, greater ventilation, chemoreceptors, greater breathing rate greater tidal volume etc.
Finally about the substance w I wrote NAD then I talked why as in reduced NAD produce electrons h+ and NAD, then talked about how those two are used and NAD is reused,
I will be grateful if someone can tell me if I was going on the right path? Basically this paper was application and can easily be interpreted wrong, I hope like 54B 60A 66A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg this was the easiest paper in the world, everyone at my school said they absolutely smashed it. Hoping for 120 UMS, in any case only need 102 for the A* so should get it! Hope you guys all did well too. :smile:
Reply 1329
Original post by Maybenexttime
Omg this was the easiest paper in the world, everyone at my school said they absolutely smashed it. Hoping for 120 UMS, in any case only need 102 for the A* so should get it! Hope you guys all did well too. :smile:

out of interest- would you say it was easier than jan13 or about the same level of difficulty?
Reply 1330
Original post by Alia223
The question said target organ which because it said it destroys oestrogen or something like that then that indicates that the target organs is ovaries.. since target organs is where the hormones bring about a change in

it was this gonadosomething releasing hormone that affects release of gonadotropin(or whatever it's called) from the pituitary, and then this gonadotropin affects ovaries..
oh well(
Original post by Hdizzle
out of interest- would you say it was easier than jan13 or about the same level of difficulty?

Afraid I didn't do Jan 13, but all of my friends that did the paper said it was way easier than past papers. The UMS won't be generous this year at all unfortunately, but at least the paper was easy.
Reply 1332
Original post by Maybenexttime
Afraid I didn't do Jan 13, but all of my friends that did the paper said it was way easier than past papers. The UMS won't be generous this year at all unfortunately, but at least the paper was easy.

I need 105 ums for my A*
hopefully the grade boundaries aren't ridiculously high!
Original post by Hdizzle
I need 105 ums for my A*
hopefully the grade boundaries aren't ridiculously high!

I made a poll to see how everyone else found it (to get a very rough idea of grade boundaries), but apparently TSR hasn't posted it. o.O
unofficial markscheme yet?
Reply 1335
Original post by hussaincute
unofficial markscheme yet?

and a question paper ^^
Reply 1336
Original post by Nilie
it was this gonadosomething releasing hormone that affects release of gonadotropin(or whatever it's called) from the pituitary, and then this gonadotropin affects ovaries..
oh well(

I put testosterone and testes...
Reply 1337
Original post by Ziggy_72
I put testosterone and testes...

I think you could put ovaries or testes seeing it was about repressing reproduction :smile:
Reply 1338
I found this paper extremely easy. Expecting at the very least 80/90 raw marks and 120UMS. Will probably be 67-71 for an A*. Was so happy to see the question on transcription factors, I had just rememorised the process like an hour before the exam. :smile:

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise people are offended if someone else finds the paper easy. Jeez.
(edited 10 years ago)
but everyone found the paper easy .... so i dont think getting an A would be so easy..
i mean the grade boundaries gonna be soooo highhh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending