The Student Room Group

EU applicants for the entry 2014!

Didn't find a similar thread, and I need to know about you guys.

*Whats yo country
*Where do you think you might apply?
*How will you be preparing?
*What kind of volunteering have you done? Can you do shadowing?
*What are your A-level equivalents?

I hope there are at least some of you guys out there lol

Anyways I could start by presenting myself:

country is land of Fin (Finland duh)

*Where do you think you might apply?

Still haven't made up my mind yet, a lot of them seem so amazing! Currently my top are QUB, Cambridge and two are open (maybe Glasgow/Exeter/Soton/Nottingham... Dunno)

*How will you be preparing?

Well, reading A LOT of scientific literature (to strengthen my academic English, although I already feel like its good), study for the UKCAT and BMAT in the summer, study for my A-level equivalents.

*What kind of volunteering have you done? Can you do shadowing?

Shadowing docs is banned here, I tried asking many docs. It's even frowned upon...which puts me in huge disadvantage. I am trying to get shadowing from an American surgeon we know, though. I have been volunteering in the nursing home and the red cross since the beginning of the year, and will continue doing so. Probably try to get volunteering in hospitals too, if they allow that...

*What are your A-level equivalents?

We have Finnish Matriculation Examinations. I am taking very heavy course load and will do my examinations on the following subjects: English and Biology (2013 Autumn), Advanced French, Advanced Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Finnish (2014 Spring)

I hope I get the equivalents of A*AA which means I need to get L (top grade) in most of the subjects. Although it's hard, I believe I can do it.

So yeah, I know I did this thread veeeeeeeeeeery early but I just couldn't handle my curiosityyy. Also people who are in med schools, do you know any EU fellas in there?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

bumping and adding keywords for the search engine: international european union europe portugal spain sweden germany EU europe Eu-student home
bump because relevance
Reply 3
I'm hoping to apply as an EU applicant (British :tongue:) for 2014 entry to Medicine at Copenhagen - I know that's not what this thread was about, but I figured I'm in a vaguely similar position to you, and you seem like you'd appreciate some company. :tongue:
Reply 4
Hey. :hello:
I live in France, but I'm originally from Sweden (Sverige) and I'm considering applying to the University of Edinburgh for medicine! :woo: I'll be sitting the first part of the French Baccalaureate on June 18th and 19th. So yeah, my predicted grades are: Philosophy A, Mathematics A+, French A, English A+, History&Geography A, Biology A+, Further Biology A+, Spanish A+, Physical Education A, UK History A+ and Physics&Chemistry A+. I cannot wait to see the outcome of my application!:smile: Um, I've done quite a lot of voluntary work at the local hospital. I'm also a young UNICEF ambassador and raise awareness about health issues in developing countries. That's probably the biggest achievement I have made so far and that I am proud of. Next year, I will go to Burkina Faso to have a real insight into their lifesaving work in the field. I think it's not how much voluntary work you have done that matters but what you get and learn from them. You must show that you have a realistic understanding of what a medical career will involve.:wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Leen!
Hey. :hello:
I live in France, but I'm originally from Sweden (Sverige) and I'm considering applying to the University of Edinburgh for medicine! :woo: I'll be sitting the first part of the French Baccalaureate on June 18th and 19th. So yeah, my predicted grades are: Philosophy A, Mathematics A+, French A, English A+, History&Geography A, Biology A+, Further Biology A+, Spanish A+, Physical Education A, UK History A+ and Physics&Chemistry A+. I cannot wait to see the outcome of my application!:smile: Um, I've done quite a lot of voluntary work at the local hospital. Besides, I'm a young UNICEF ambassador and raise awareness about health issues in developing countries. That's probably the biggest achievement I have made so far and that I am proud of. Next year, I will go to Burkina Faso to have a real insight into their lifesaving work in the field. I think it's not how much voluntary work you have done that matters but what you get and learn from them. You must show that you have a realistic understanding of what a medical career will involve.:wink:

You can apply to four places for Medicine on UCAS, are you sure you don't want to put down some other choices besides Edinburgh?

How come you moved from Sweden to France? :smile:

PS You can't really use the word 'besides' as you did there - it makes it sound a bit like you're suggesting you're guaranteed to get in because of the stuff you say after it. :tongue: We'd just say 'I'm also [...]' or 'as well as this, [...]'. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ronove
You can apply to four places for Medicine on UCAS, are you sure you don't want to put down some other choices besides Edinburgh?

How come you moved from Sweden to France? :smile:

PS You can't really use the word 'besides' as you did there - it makes it sound a bit like you're suggesting you're guaranteed to get in because of the stuff you say after it. :tongue: We'd just say 'I'm also [...]' or 'as well as this, [...]'. :smile:

Oops :colondollar:
Um, what I meant was that Edinburgh is my 1st choice. I'll apply to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow and... probably Dundee. Haha, we moved to France because my parents decided to.:biggrin:
Original post by Ronove
I'm hoping to apply as an EU applicant (British :tongue:) for 2014 entry to Medicine at Copenhagen - I know that's not what this thread was about, but I figured I'm in a vaguely similar position to you, and you seem like you'd appreciate some company. :tongue:

Wohoo :biggrin:

How are Danish language studies going? Is the entrance exam like here in Finland, a long (5h) exam about different sciences related to medicine?

Hey.
I live in France, but I'm originally from Sweden (Sverige) and I'm considering applying to the University of Edinburgh for medicine! I'll be sitting the first part of the French Baccalaureate on June 18th and 19th. So yeah, my predicted grades are: Philosophy A, Mathematics A+, French A, English A+, History&Geography A, Biology A+, Further Biology A+, Spanish A+, Physical Education A, UK History A+ and Physics&Chemistry A+. I cannot wait to see the outcome of my application!:smile: Um, I've done quite a lot of voluntary work at the local hospital. I'm also a young UNICEF ambassador and raise awareness about health issues in developing countries. That's probably the biggest achievement I have made so far and that I am proud of. Next year, I will go to Burkina Faso to have a real insight into their lifesaving work in the field. I think it's not how much voluntary work you have done that matters but what you get and learn from them. You must show that you have a realistic understanding of what a medical career will involve

Weee another EU applicant! I am really jealous for your volunteering stuff! When will you sit the UKCAT?

Also good luck for your exams!
Reply 8
Original post by ParticlePhysics
Wohoo :biggrin:

How are Danish language studies going? Is the entrance exam like here in Finland, a long (5h) exam about different sciences related to medicine?

Danish is going well, I've got my final exam for Studieprøven i dansk som andetsprog tomorrow, the spoken one. Bit scared, it's been a while since I had to do a speaking exam, scared I'm going to just run out of stuff to say when they're asking me what I think about aspects of the topic. I got 12 in each of the first two parts :biggrin: and I'll find out about the last two after my exam tomorrow.

There's no entrance exam in Denmark, entry is according to your highschool/sixth form grade point average. Mine works out at 10.7 if I've calculated correctly, so I stand a good chance of getting in. I just need to pass Kemi B and Fysik B as a formality before I can get in. :smile:
Original post by Ronove
Danish is going well, I've got my final exam for Studieprøven i dansk som andetsprog tomorrow, the spoken one. Bit scared, it's been a while since I had to do a speaking exam, scared I'm going to just run out of stuff to say when they're asking me what I think about aspects of the topic. I got 12 in each of the first two parts :biggrin: and I'll find out about the last two after my exam tomorrow.

There's no entrance exam in Denmark, entry is according to your highschool/sixth form grade point average. Mine works out at 10.7 if I've calculated correctly, so I stand a good chance of getting in. I just need to pass Kemi B and Fysik B as a formality before I can get in. :smile:

Good luck with it!! :biggrin:

No entrance exam? Wow I'm jelly... here in Finland its very difficult to get in. For example, U of Helsinki School of Medicine had like 1600 applicants last year, and 120 get in.. (90 for the Finnish language program, 30 for the Swedish..)

May I ask why Denmark?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Good luck with it!! :biggrin:

No entrance exam? Wow I'm jelly... here in Finland its very difficult to get in. For example, U of Helsinki School of Medicine had like 1600 applicants last year, and 120 get in.. (90 for the Finnish language program, 30 for the Swedish..)

May I ask why Denmark?

Thanks!

It's difficult to get in here too - if you don't make the cut with your highschool results, that's it; you can't improve your GPA later by resitting or doing more subjects or anything. There are also 'quota 2' places where they look at your whole application and take volunteering and previous degrees etc into account - but at the Uni of Copenhagen only 10% of Medicine places are awarded via that. It just so happens that I did very well at GCSE and A-level so I have a great score.

Danish fiancé... need I say more? :tongue: I was going to go for the GEM route in the UK until that... happened. :biggrin:
Reply 11

Weee another EU applicant! I am really jealous for your volunteering stuff! When will you sit the UKCAT?

Also good luck for your exams!

Some have done much more.:redface:
I'll sit the UKCAT on the 26th of August. And you?
Thank you!:smile: when are yours?
Original post by Leen!
Some have done much more.:redface:
I'll sit the UKCAT on the 26th of August. And you?
Thank you!:smile: when are yours?

I will do my UKCAT on the 13th of August, my exams are in autumn and next spring (not sure on the dates).

Have you started studying for the UKCAT or will you leave it for July (considering you're having your bac)?
Reply 13
I will do my UKCAT on the 13th of August, my exams are in autumn and next spring (not sure on the dates).

Have you started studying for the UKCAT or will you leave it for July (considering you're having your bac)?

I started revising for the UKCAT last summer, actually:biggrin: because I genuinely thought we had to sit it last summer... :colondollar: But yeah, I'm pretty busy at the moment and have to pass my baccalaureate so I think I will re-open my UKCAT 'revision' book in July, even though I can say that I'm now familiar with the questions type. What about you? Um, just out of curiosity, why do you want to study abroad? I guess it's probably for the same reasons as me...
Studying abroad isn't always going to be sunshine and rainbows.:redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Leen!
I started revising for the UKCAT last summer, actually:biggrin: because I genuinely thought we had to sit it last summer... :colondollar: But yeah, I'm pretty busy at the moment and have to pass my baccalaureate so I think I will re-open my UKCAT 'revision' book in July, even though I can say that I'm now familiar with the questions type. What about you? Um, just out of curiosity, why do you want to study abroad? I guess it's probably for the same reasons as me...
Studying abroad isn't always going to be sunshine and rainbows.:redface:

I want to study abroad because of many things, namely the diversity of the people, the high quality in education & research and the good healthcare system. Things like the British culture, nature and cities are very attractive to me without forgetting the language of course (I love English :biggrin:).
Reply 15
Which English language test are you going to take, the IELTS or the TOEFL? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
IELTS. Isn't the TOEFL American?
Reply 17
IELTS. Isn't the TOEFL American?

Yes, it is; but it doesn't mean you would be at a disadvantage by taking it.:smile:
I prefer taking the IELTS as well, though!
How did your exams go? :smile: I will start studying for my exams after few weeks in July.
Reply 19
Aw, welllll... I think my exams went OK. :smile: My French exam was probably the 'easiest' one. :yes: I had to do a 4-pages essay on whether writers have to make their characters extraordinary.
Given that you live in Finland, did you learn a bit of Swedish at school? - Just wondering.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending