The Student Room Group

Options for medical applicant who gets AAB A-Levels?

So I've just taken C4, and I know I've done terribly. I know people say "You never know, just wait til results" but I know for sure, mostly because I missed about half the paper and just had no idea what I was doing.
I have done well in the other Maths exams, so I do think I could get a B, and in Chemistry and Biology I feel I've done quite well, so could be AA.
I have an offer for medicine of AAA, so what are my options come results day?

Is it possible the uni may accept me anyway even if I miss the offer? Has this happened to anyone before?

If not, what are my options? e.g. How likely is it to get in as a graduate with AAB A-Levels? (my insurance is Biology, is this an acceptable undergraduate degree for graduate medicine?)?

Is studying abroad a realistic option? I heard there are foreign universities that teach in English and don't mind accepting British students with lower A Levels...

Thanks in advance for any help, I know it's annoying to see these types of threads but I need to know if there's any hope that I may be able to study medicine, otherwise start making other plans....
Reply 1
Original post by miledd
So I've just taken C4, and I know I've done terribly. I know people say "You never know, just wait til results" but I know for sure, mostly because I missed about half the paper and just had no idea what I was doing.
I have done well in the other Maths exams, so I do think I could get a B, and in Chemistry and Biology I feel I've done quite well, so could be AA.

Is it possible the uni may accept me anyway even if I miss the offer? Has this happened to anyone before?

If not, what are my options? e.g. How likely is it to get in as a graduate with AAB A-Levels? (my insurance is Biology, is this an acceptable undergraduate degree for graduate medicine?)?

Is studying abroad a realistic option? I heard there are foreign universities that teach in English and don't mind accepting British students with lower A Levels...

Thanks in advance for any help, I know it's annoying to see these types of threads but I need to know if there's any hope that I may be able to study medicine, otherwise start making other plans....

Biomed at st georges and genetics at Leicester offer chance to transfer after year 1 to medicine
I applied here and abroad as a back up. My offer is BB in Europe- its taught in English and 60 brits go annually and its GMC registered, however its a back up. Europe is abit too far for 5 years for me.
Or re-takes in a 3rd year and apply to those which accept them :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by miledd

Flogging a dead horse... but you never know, wait until results and try not to pull out all of your hair!

If you achieve AAB, there is a chance that the medical school will accept you anyway. It has happened before, but there is no way to predict if it's going to happen. It's a complex interplay of factors that lead the medical school to accept somebody who has missed their offer. If you indeed do miss your offer, and UCAS shows "unsuccessful", phone up your medical school ASAP and plead your case.

Your only option otherwise is to take a different degree course and then apply to medicine for graduate entry. Biology is fine as a graduate entry degree (most are). For more information on A-Level requirements for GEM, check here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide

I wouldn't consider studying abroad until you have exhausted every option available to you here in the UK.

e: For more info on resitting: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by miledd

Southampton will consider you if you take a year out and reapply.
UEA will if you're predicted A* in your retake.

thats all I know, I was worried about this but seeing as a) i didn't get any offers and b) I feel exams have gone pretty well, I've started thinking more of gap year plans
If you get A*AB Keele might consider you next year if they don't change their requirements.
miledd lol its as if you wrote the paragraph for me. Im in pretty much the exact same position as you except I was taking a gap year anyway but applying for Medicine 2014. The C4 Edexcel paper for me was terrible and people were coming out saying 'ye it was fine' so i have just had to accept that i'll have a B in maths even though i only needed 76 ums to get an A :frown:. Hopefully i can get an A in chemistry and Im confident about my biology mark.

god luck :smile:
Reply 6
i feel exactly the same, completely distraught after the C4 exam.
i need a plan B! i needed at least a B/A in C4 for an A overall in maths and well.... :'(
wow so it wasnt just me the screwed the c4 paper up. talking t people after the exam i felt i was the only one who did badly meaning that i thought the grade boundaries would be the same as everyone else did ok . guess im not alone :smile:
Reply 8
This is exactly the same for me, need 3 As and pretty sure after that I won't get in :frown:
Reply 9
Be thankful that you even have a medicine offer!
Original post by billybobs
Be thankful that you even have a medicine offer!

I would say it's more devastating to miss your offer than not get one in the first place.

To the OP, nothing you can do for now, try not to think about it too much if you can it's not usually as bad as you expect and if worst case scenario happens and you miss your offer and they won't take you then quite a few unis accept resits, it's not the end of the road.
Personally I feel math is the easiest subject to get an A. If you screwed up C4, what about your other module grades? they should pull your overall grade above 480ums ... Eg. I suck at M2 and I am pretty sure I got about 30 ums in the paper this year... But I need 15 ums to get an A overall. So don't worry if your c4 was bad as long as your other modules are fine. Oh if worst comes to worst, make a very carefully planned diplomatic call.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by MedMed12
Biomed at st georges and genetics at Leicester offer chance to transfer after year 1 to medicine
I applied here and abroad as a back up. My offer is BB in Europe- its taught in English and 60 brits go annually and its GMC registered, however its a back up. Europe is abit too far for 5 years for me.

hey, I was just wondering what university you applied in europe? thanks
Reply 13
Original post by MrDoctor
hey, I was just wondering what university you applied in europe? thanks

Pleven in Bulgaria:smile:
what did u get in AS ? and wat were ur predicted grades? i just did my AS exams, i think i will get abb or aab ,and i do bio, maths and chem do u think i can get an offer for medicine? thanks
Original post by miledd

wat did u get in AS ? and wat were ur predicted grades? i just did my AS exams, i think i will get abb or aab ,and my predicted grades are aab i do bio, maths and chem do u think i can get an offer for medicine? thanks
Original post by mcollin1
Southampton will consider you if you take a year out and reapply.
UEA will if you're predicted A* in your retake.

thats all I know, I was worried about this but seeing as a) i didn't get any offers and b) I feel exams have gone pretty well, I've started thinking more of gap year plans

wat did u get in AS ? and wat were ur predicted grades? i just did my AS exams, i think i will get abb or aab ,and my predicted grades are aab i do bio, maths and chem do u think i can get an offer for medicine? thanks
Original post by MedMed12

Original post by blessed107

Um, you've just resurrected a two-year-old thread, and all of the people you quoted haven't made a post in months/years... :confused:

For what it's worth, your A-level grades are more important than what you get for AS. You'll need to get at least AAA at A-level for any medical school in the UK except for UCLan which (I think) accepts AAB.
Original post by *pitseleh*
Um, you've just resurrected a two-year-old thread, and all of the people you quoted haven't made a post in months/years... :confused:

For what it's worth, your A-level grades are more important than what you get for AS. You'll need to get at least AAA at A-level for any medical school in the UK except for UCLan which (I think) accepts AAB.

thanks alot, i have one question wat r the minimum AS grades i should get, t make sure i get an offer, and say i get abb or aab do u think i will get an offer for med

Latest

Trending

Trending