The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TH3-FL45H
Muuray would be but probably not Djokovic

Djokovic is world number 1 though, not sure he could keep up for 5 sets against Djokovic in his prime.
Original post by TimmsElJefe
Djokovic is world number 1 though, not sure he could keep up for 5 sets against Djokovic in his prime.

He already has - I probably made a mistake in including Djokovic in his "draw from Hell". Federer, regardless of what form he's in, would still match up well against Djokovic on grass; we saw his style cause a huge no. of problems last year in the SFs, so actually Roger might be most keen to play Djokovic out of anyone else in the Top 8.

Tsonga or Berdych in that draw instead then.
I hope he gets a draw with 2 early round tests, but avoids Nadal/Tsonga until at least the semis. If he gets past all of them, I think he can win the title.

Murray is the other form player/'man to beat' on grass, and I'm curious to see his draw - he could potentially have to face 3 of the big 4 as well (back to back), and a match against Nadal might be interesting.

For each of the Top 4, this is what they might need to be most wary of:

Djokovic: Federer/Murray = dangerous in the later stages of the tournament

Murray: has to try not to beat himself/ watch out for Nadal/ big servers

Federer: will want to avoid Nadal/Tsonga

Nadal: his enemy will be the first week of the Championships (if he makes it through that, he's in the running)
Original post by Krish4791
In any case, for Federer to win Wimbledon this year, he may need a little bit of help with the draw. I've thought about it and here are 2 potential scenarios for him. One is the draw from Heaven, the other the draw from Hell (obviously there are the ones in between too!):

Draw from Heaven:

R1: Qualifier, R2: Qualifier, R3: Anyone who he plays well against, R4: Youzhny/Tipsarevic, QF: Del Potro, SF: Ferrer, F: Djokovic

Draw from Hell:

R1: Someone good, R2: Someone else good, R3: Janowicz/Benneteau,etc., R4: Raonic/Simon, QF: Nadal, SF: Murray, F: Djokovic

He looked quite good today overall, there were certainly periods in the match where you could tell he had extra confidence, and that should serve him well at Wimbledon. I believe he can do it if he sets his mind to it.

But aren't Federer and Ferrer supposed to be third and fourth seeds, meaning that they would be placed in opposite halves of the draw? Unless I'm missing something, this would mean that they couldn't meet each other until the finals.

Murray is the other form player/'man to beat' on grass, and I'm curious to see his draw - he could potentially have to face 3 of the big 4 as well (back to back), and a match against Nadal might be interesting.

Isn't this true for all of the big 4, as Nadal is now ranked 5th so could meet one of the other three in the quarters rather than semis?
Reply 3465
The hilarious moment for anyone that missed it!

Reply 3466
In any case, for Federer to win Wimbledon this year, he may need a little bit of help with the draw. I've thought about it and here are 2 potential scenarios for him. One is the draw from Heaven, the other the draw from Hell (obviously there are the ones in between too!):

Draw from Heaven:

R1: Qualifier, R2: Qualifier, R3: Anyone who he plays well against, R4: Youzhny/Tipsarevic, QF: Del Potro, SF: Ferrer, F: Djokovic

Draw from Hell:

R1: Someone good, R2: Someone else good, R3: Janowicz/Benneteau,etc., R4: Raonic/Simon, QF: Nadal, SF: Murray, F: Djokovic

He looked quite good today overall, there were certainly periods in the match where you could tell he had extra confidence, and that should serve him well at Wimbledon. I believe he can do it if he sets his mind to it.

Could you tell me when the draw will take place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hog Dog
Could you tell me when the draw will take place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It says on the website that it is on Friday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3469
Original post by manchesterunited15
He was 17/18

Well he was 17 the first time he beat Federer.
Reply 3470

I'm really liking Berdych's tweets!
Reply 3471
Original post by ubi1
Well he was 17 the first time he beat Federer.

I always wonder why Nadal struggled against the rest of the so called 'weak era' if he was beating Federer from day 1.
Reply 3472
Original post by Roger1
I always wonder why Nadal struggled against the rest of the so called 'weak era' if he was beating Federer from day 1.

Who did Nadal struggled against?
Reply 3473
Original post by ubi1
Who did Nadal struggled against?

All those years Federer was making finals of the US Open and Aussie Open, Nadal lost to the likes of Youzhny, Blake and Gonzales and thus denying Fed the opportunity to have a more respectable H2H against Nadal.
Reply 3474
Original post by Roger1
All those years Federer was making finals of the US Open and Aussie Open, Nadal lost to the likes of Youzhny, Blake and Gonzales and thus denying Fed the opportunity to have a more respectable H2H against Nadal.

Back then Nadal's game wasn't as good as it is now.
Reply 3475
Original post by ubi1
Back then Nadal's game wasn't as good as it is now.

And this is why Fed is so unlucky in the sense that he didn't get to play Nadal on surfaces that favours his aggressive style of play, when he was in his peak. On the other hand, Fed was always making clay finals which explains the one sided H2H.
Reply 3476
Original post by Roger1
And this is why Fed is so unlucky in the sense that he didn't get to play Nadal on surfaces that favours his aggressive style of play, when he was in his peak. On the other hand, Fed was always making clay finals which explains the one sided H2H.

Nadal is more unlucky. 3/4 SLAMS are on Fast surfaces. Only 1/4 is on Slow surface.
Reply 3477
Original post by ubi1
Nadal is more unlucky. 3/4 SLAMS are on Fast surfaces. Only 1/4 is on Slow surface.

You call Australian Open fast? I say its even slower than clay at the French Open. And Wimbledon plays like clay in the second week, which is how the term 'green clay' came about. US Open imo is the fastest GS now in terms of court speed, which just defies logic in tennis terms, as grass is meant to be the fastest surface out of the three.
Reply 3478
Original post by Roger1
You call Australian Open fast? I say its even slower than clay at the French Open. And Wimbledon plays like clay in the second week, which is how the term 'green clay' came about. US Open imo is the fastest GS now in terms of court speed, which just defies logic in tennis terms, as grass is meant to be the fastest surface out of the three.

In terms of speed its like this fastest to slowest:
Wimbledon
Us Open
Australian Open
French Open
Reply 3479
Original post by ubi1
In terms of speed its like this fastest to slowest:
Wimbledon
Us Open
Australian Open
French Open

From what I've seen so far this season, Aussie Open seemed slower than the French. And I've already given my reasons why the US Open is the fastest GS in my previous post, so please refer to it. :smile:

Latest