The Student Room Group

OCR C4 (not mei) 18th June 2013 revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by printergirl
It's still unfair that some people have calculators can do this work out integrals and cubics (although most people now have calculators that do the latter)

thats a stupid point anyway, you can get a pen for less than 50p, if you couldn't afford one the exam centre would give you one
where as graphic calculators are £80 new which puts many candidates off, so the people who can afford it have an advantage
Graphic calculators give minimal advantage. The only main advantage is a bigger screen. Graph sketching isn't really useful either, especially if it doesn't tell you to sketch one. And the ones that solve integrals and cubics are cheap, the casio silver ones are £14.
Original post by Namige
It's not cheating if it says graphic calculators are allowed. I could walk into a any exam and complain why only those that can afford a pen deserve advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not about the price as our school lends us one, but I don't use it because I have some dignity, and would rather achieve a grade based on MY ability rather than my calculator's ability to do algebra and plot graphs. In my FP2 exam there were graph questions, and I don't think that it's fair that some people have the advantage of using their calculator to sketch high mark questions whereas some people actually have to work it out for themselves. It may not be cheating, but it certainly represents a lack of confidence in someone's "math capabilities" (so to speak).
(edited 10 years ago)
Can some one show how to do 10 iii ? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 703
Original post by printergirl
i did say most calculators do integrals now..
it lets you know you've gone wrong, so it does help

edit (bold)
you may have been able to get it right, but im sure lots of people who were unsure could have used a graphical calculator which would have given them a better idea of the answer
No, a graphic calculator does not give you a better idea. You still get a numerical answer like any other standard integral solving calculator. Do you even own a graphic calculator??
Original post by JakePreedy
It's not about the price, I have one, but I don't use it because I have some dignity, and would rather achieve a grade based on MY ability rather than my calculator's ability to do algebra and plot graphs. In my FP2 exam there were graph questions, and I don't think that it's fair that some people have the advantage of using their calculator to sketch high mark questions whereas some people actually have to work it out for themselves. It may not be cheating, but it certainly represents a lack of confidence in someone's "math skills" (so to speak).

Completely agree!
where will Mr M post the answers?
Reply 706
For the question where it was (1/4)ln(3), would it be acceptable to right (1/2)(ln(root3)), as it didn't specifically say integers, it just said express it in the form alnb. Also, for the integration by substitution one, did it require you to put it back in terms of x, or could you have left it in terms of u? Thanks
Reply 707
Original post by strikerextreme
Can some one show how to do the 'show that' binomial question ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

x/(1x)3=x(1x)3x/(1-x)^3 = x(1-x)^-3

(1x)3=(x(11/x))3(1-x)^-3 = (-x(1-1/x))^-3
(x(11/x))3=1/x3(11/x)3(-x(1-1/x))^-3 = -1/x^3(1-1/x)^-3
x.1/x3(11/x)3=1/x2(11/x)3x . -1/x^3(1-1/x)^-3 = -1/x^2(1-1/x)^-3
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheSneakyBadger
where will Mr M post the answers?

He'll most likely post a link on here to a new thread with his answers.
Original post by ChrissM
For the question where it was (1/4)ln(3), would it be acceptable to right (1/2)(ln(root3)), as it didn't specifically say integers, it just said express it in the form alnb. Also, for the integration by substitution one, did it require you to put it back in terms of x, or could you have left it in terms of u? Thanks

That's what I've put - it's correct
:L it would be really harsh if they drop you a mark for that - that's just them wanting you to fail!
Original post by ChrissM

Well technically 1/4 isn't an integer anyways, so them specifically saying integers would rule this out :P I believe 1/2 ln(root3) would be marked correct, as they never gave any constraints.
Reply 711
If anybody here did the biology unit 5 paper and thought it was a disgrace like this page please

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aqa-Biol-5-June-2013-Paper-Was-A-Joke/137380629799397
and I still think the only advantage with the graphic calculator is that for the graph sketching questions - you can check your answer and put your mind to rest for that question should you get it right - you would still have to work out asymptotes and stuffs.
Or it could show that you did something wrong and it could be frustrating because you know that you got it wrong hence may affect your performance for other questions.
so double edged sword really.
Original post by Aimee18
If anybody here did the biology unit 5 paper and thought it was a disgrace like this page please

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aqa-Biol-5-June-2013-Paper-Was-A-Joke/137380629799397

Why, what happened?
Reply 714
Original post by XingBairong
That's what I've put - it's correct
:L it would be really harsh if they drop you a mark for that - that's just them wanting you to fail!

Are you talking about the 12\frac{1}{2} ln\ln3\sqrt 3 question? I think it would be very harsh, I'd just like to get some other opinions
Original post by ChrissM
Are you talking about the 12\frac{1}{2} ln\ln3\sqrt 3 question? I think it would be very harsh, I'd just like to get some other opinions

yes - I wouldn't think about squaring it to make it look pretty in an exam anyway haha.
That exam was horrible :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChrissM

Oh woes, I got 1/2 ln 3 for that one... because I integrated tan2x wrong. I hate myself so much.
Original post by XingBairong
and I still think the only advantage with the graphic calculator is that for the graph sketching questions - you can check your answer and put your mind to rest for that question should you get it right - you would still have to work out asymptotes and stuffs.
Or it could show that you did something wrong and it could be frustrating because you know that you got it wrong hence may affect your performance for other questions.
so double edged sword really.

In my opinion the idea that a "graphic's calculator showing your answer is wrong could affect performance in further questions" is very doubtful. If I used a graphic's calculator and noticed the graph I originally sketched using my own maths was wrong, I would simply rub it out and sketch what is on the calculator (or would have done that first) - this is obviously unfair.

You were more spot on with your first point, a graphic's calculator gives candidates the advantage of knowing their answer is correct on particular questions, putting their mind at rest. If you're like me who doesn't use a graphics calculator, you'd realise that this is a HUGE advantage. In today's C4 paper I spent so much time checking over my answers after completion, which is such a waste of time compared to someone with a graphic's calculator.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JakePreedy
In my opinion the idea that a "graphic's calculator showing your answer is wrong could affect performance in further questions" is very doubtful. If I used a graphic's calculator and noticed the graph I originally sketched using my own maths was wrong, I would simply rub it out and sketch what is on the calculator (or would have done that first) - this is obviously unfair.

You were more spot on with your first point, a graphic's calculator gives candidates the advantage of knowing their answer is correct on particular questions, putting their mind at rest. If you're like me who doesn't use a graphics calculator, you'd realise that this is a HUGE advantage. In today's C4 paper I spent so much time checking over my answers after completion, which is such a waste of time compared to someone with a graphic's calculator.

There were only two questions where a graphical calculator would have helped? One of them really wasn't too bad either, the parametric one (you could check easily by taking the second derivative, although the method instructed by the question was very east)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending