The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
I reckon there will be a big combined techniques question at the end. Hopefully there is :smile:
Original post by D4rth
If its more soluble in the stationary phase it has a longer time as its harder for the mobile phase to carry it through the column.
It depends on what the greater solubility is in, if its more soluble in the mobile phase retention time is shorter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks could you explain for both tlc and gas
is tlc always adsorption?
in tlc if its more soluble/adsorpable(?) in stationary phase will rf value be greater, same with gas chromotography retention time greater
Reply 2002
Original post by thers
One more

How many chiral centres in this molecule? [1]

Is it 1?

Edit: I saw your answer
Reply 2003
Original post by thers
One more

How many chiral centres in this molecule? [1]

is there 0?
Reply 2004
Original post by otrivine
why do you have blue and red? do they mean separate dont get why they are coloured

Lol I just randomly chose this molecule from google images - I don't know why they are coloured (probably to show the distinct functional groups.
Reply 2005
Can anyone help me with this?
Describe and explain the increased use of esters of fatty acids as biodiesel.
Reply 2006
Original post by thers
Answer

Spoiler

Why is it 0?

Posted from TSR Mobile

that video is amazing but how does he know how big to make the peaks when he draws them? Thanks.
Reply 2008
Original post by AFC_123456789
that video is amazing but how does he know how big to make the peaks when he draws them? Thanks.

They're just relative, the peak with 3 protons in the environment will be bigger than the peak with 2 protons in the environment. I don't think the examiners will be that picky though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2009
Any predictions on what might come up
Original post by Varsh05
Can anyone help me with this?
Describe and explain the increased use of esters of fatty acids as biodiesel.

Biodegradable - breakdown doesn't emit harmful gases.
Made form plants so carbon neutral/environmentally friendly.

How many marks is it?
Reply 2011
Original post by D4rth
I assume you mean Jan 13? Its been posted many times, check the last few pages, it'll be in an attachment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah my bad!! thanks
Reply 2012

Lets look at the carbon with the NH2 group sticking out of it. The groups coming out are -NH2, -H, -CH2CH2CHOH and -CH2CH2CHOH. Same can be said for the carbon with OH sticking out but swap the OH with NH2. So those 2 carbons are not chiral
Reply 2013
Original post by _HabibaH_
Biodegradable - breakdown doesn't emit harmful gases.
Made form plants so carbon neutral/environmentally friendly.

How many marks is it?

It's just a question from the spec that we're supposed to know.
Just did Jan 13 - scored 85 and in Jan I just scraped a C. I don't know whether to be crazy happy or crazy confused.
Reply 2015
Just me or is it anyone else's last exam and I've lost all motivation

HELP
Reply 2016
Just did Jan 13 - scored 85 and in Jan I just scraped a C. I don't know whether to be crazy happy or crazy confused.

Is that 85 UMS lol?
Reply 2017
Original post by thers
Lets look at the carbon with the NH2 group sticking out of it. The groups coming out are -NH2, -H, -CH2CH2CHOH and -CH2CH2CHOH. Same can be said for the carbon with OH sticking out but swap the OH with NH2. So those 2 carbons are not chiral

Oh dammit, I'm used to more complex molecules where the things on either side of the chain are completely different. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2018

Jan 13 was a bitch of a paper did it for our mock got a C or something dismal
Reply 2019
Original post by livvy965
Just me or is it anyone else's last exam and I've lost all motivation

HELP

It's mine as well and I had maths this morning and really just can't concentrate. I'm downing coffee and coke trying to get as much caffeine as possible :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending