The Student Room Group

OCR C4 (not mei) 18th June 2013 revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by tooambitious
Can I also just point out, you can plot points of the graph on the Casio calculator. That Wouk have also showed you that te point was a minimum

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used table mode to do this question which is a function that does exactly the same as the graphical functions just giving co-ordinates rather than a graph. Table mode is avaliable on all scientific calculators mine is a bog standard £8.99 casio from year 7. I personally don't see the fuss about graphical calculators as they can only be used for checking (no credit at all is given on this questions without working) ans you can check your answers effectivly on any calculator
Yeah, I can't draw graphs for sit, definitely lost two marks on the polar for FP2 :cry2:
Realised with a minute to spare, and my axis took up all the space, oh well, just means I have to try for M2 :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my graph sketching isn't really up to par either. The first graph sketching question with the rational function took me a while to figure out, but got there just at the end of the exam. The polar graph I had no idea beyond finding min/max points and line of symmetry's, beyond this I resorted to plotting arbitrary points on the graph by typing values into the calculator. XD
Original post by ChrissM
For the question where it was (1/4)ln(3), would it be acceptable to right (1/2)(ln(root3)), as it didn't specifically say integers, it just said express it in the form alnb. Also, for the integration by substitution one, did it require you to put it back in terms of x, or could you have left it in terms of u? Thanks

(1/2)(ln(root3)) should be fine, but you almost definitely would lose a mark on the substitution question if you gave the answer in terms of u.
Reply 763
Original post by printergirl
are you mr m's disowned son because you didnt get 100 ums in maths?

Ouch! Poor Mr M jr. I wonder if there's a Mrs M.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 764
Original post by JakePreedy
You obviously haven't taken an FP2 exam, it goes far beyond a quadratic graph, taking a lot longer than a few seconds to sketch XD... I think even "tooambitious" would agree.

I'm not talking about just graphic's calculators, any calculator which gives you an advantage over function keys (like sin, cos) and calculating values.

You need to read my previous post.
If it's so 'unfair', then OCR can very easily put 'Graphic calculators are not allowed' on every paper. But until then, it's explicitly NOT cheating or unfair. As you said, why should some students confer an advantage because they can afford a graphic calculator? They clearly DON'T. OCR and every other exam board evidently(and clearly) agrees with me.

No, just a younger Mr M!
Reply 766
Original post by Maid Marian
Wah really? But I integrated tan2x to lnsec2x, not 1/2lnsec2x.

Would I really only lose one mark? :eek::erm:

I can't be sure without seeing the mark scheme, but your answer was pretty close, and the mark schemes usually contain "attempt to integrate...", so you'll definitely pick up marks. I would think you'd drop one, but as I said, I can't be 100% sure. Also, I did it a different way to you. I just realised it was f '(x)/f(x) and got -1/2 ln cosx, which is the same as 1/2lnsecx. I hope my method was allowed!
Original post by DoeADeer
Are you Mr M's son?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not as far as I know!! Our M's stand for different surnames :biggrin:
Nah, I'm fine (Idont use one, so wasn't offended) but the insulation that only worse mathematicians would use one or that it is not dignified was harsh :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:P

Let's just stop this debate and just agree to disagree, I also have the M2 exam to swat up for! Unfortunately I may have butchered my chances of getting an A* in Further Maths by screwing up getting an A in FP3 - with the second order differential equation I forgot to carry through this particular x value on my particular integral, and so any succeeding general and particular solution was incorrect - at least 6 marks gone :-(
Reply 769
Original post by Mr M (jr)
(1/2)(ln(root3)) should be fine, but you almost definitely would lose a mark on the substitution question if you gave the answer in terms of u.

Only one? That's a relief. Do you know if the answer was ln(u)-(1/u)?
Reply 770
Great work Benjy100

I've added brief amendments to your solutions in bold below.

In 7 i got AC as root(30) (miss typed on calculator hit 1 not 2...) and so got the angle and thus area of the pyramid wrong as a result? would i get follow through? (if so how many could i expect to lose for the original error 1-2?)

for both 4 i got pi/6 and 5pi/6 (missed pi/2) and didn't see it wanted co-ordinates :colondollar:... lose 3/4?

for 9 again i got the y value y=3 but didn't explicity write the co-ordinates ... lose 1?

also i gave r= (2/3(3.24t+1.8))^2/3 would that lose marks? it didn't say to simplify?

Thanks very much :smile: x
Original post by Namige
If it's so 'unfair', then OCR can very easily put 'Graphic calculators are not allowed' on every paper. But until then, it's explicitly NOT cheating or unfair. As you said, why should some students confer an advantage because they can afford a graphic calculator? They clearly DON'T. OCR and every other exam board evidently(and clearly) agrees with me.

unfortunately ive run out of how many posts i can rate today
otherwise id be negging you so much

you sound like such a douche

and when have exam boards know whats best for students?
Original post by JakePreedy
:P

Let's just stop this debate and just agree to disagree, I also have the M2 exam to swat up for! Unfortunately I may have butchered my chances of getting an A* in Further Maths by screwing up getting an A in FP3 - with the second order differential equation I forgot to carry through this particular x value on my particular integral, and so any succeeding general and particular solution was incorrect - at least 6 marks gone :-(

:five: messed up FP3 too, damn it for easy papers. Made silly mistakes on both that and FP2 but FP2 boundaries will lower so it should still get an A* (I think I'm somewhere between 59and 63). I got 100 in S2 though, so I only heed to average 85 in two of FP2/3 and M2, thankfully :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehehe this made me giggle.:biggrin:
Original post by Namige

Your pitiful argument to say that because the exam board says it's fair, it must be, is absolutely ludicrous. You obviously haven't taken any exams where you've felt the exam was either ridiculously hard or easy have you? Exam boards make mistakes.

Anyways, I've got revision to do. Cheers for the discussion.
Original post by ChrissM
Only one? That's a relief. Do you know if the answer was ln(u)-(1/u)?

No, it was ln(u) + (1/u) + c
Original post by ChrissM
I can't be sure without seeing the mark scheme, but your answer was pretty close, and the mark schemes usually contain "attempt to integrate...", so you'll definitely pick up marks. I would think you'd drop one, but as I said, I can't be 100% sure. Also, I did it a different way to you. I just realised it was f '(x)/f(x) and got -1/2 ln cosx, which is the same as 1/2lnsecx. I hope my method was allowed!

Ahh okay. I reckon I'd drop at least two marks though :frown:
But any marks is better than no marks!! Sigh :redface:
:five: messed up FP3 too, damn it for easy papers. Made silly mistakes on both that and FP2 but FP2 boundaries will lower so it should still get an A* (I think I'm somewhere between 59and 63). I got 100 in S2 though, so I only heed to average 85 in two of FP2/3 and M2, thankfully :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was really annoyed also because I was relying on these two to boost up my low M2 UMS i'm likely to get =/ Our school also took S2, although getting an A my UMS unfortunately wasn't high enough to hold up any mistakes in other papers ;(
Original post by Goods
In 7 i got AC as root(30) (miss typed on calculator hit 1 not 2...) and so got the angle and thus area of the pyramid wrong as a result? would i get follow through? (if so how many could i expect to lose for the original error 1-2?)

for both 4 i got pi/6 and 5pi/6 (missed pi/2) and didn't see it wanted co-ordinates :colondollar:... lose 3/4?

for 9 again i got the y value y=3 but didn't explicity write the co-ordinates ... lose 1?

also i gave r= (2/3(3.24t+1.8))^2/3 would that lose marks? it didn't say to simplify?

Thanks very much :smile: x

7: lose 2 probably

4: lose 3 probably; 4 would be harsh.

9: If you've not stated x=0 then yes, lose 1

8: should have been r= (3/2(3.24t+1.8))^2/3. If you had this then you shouldn't lose a mark.
For what it's worth, I think a lot of A level students would find this a tough paper; I'd expect the grade boundaries to be lower than average.

On question 7, I put at the start dr/dt= 1/k(R^.5) and so got the overall equation wrong, would I get any method marks or follow through marks for part ii)? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending