I wrote orange to green for butan-2-ol
Original post by Meehar17
For writing no reaction for 'A'?

I wrote orange to green for butan-2-ol

No for writing no oxidarion happens
Reply 1783
Original post by Sciencefella

Is that not the same as 'no reaction occurring' and how can you SEE no oxidation happening that doesn't make sense :s
Original post by Sciencefella

The first part is orange to green as the alcohol is oxidised to a ketone.
second part is there is no colour change the mixture remains orange due to the fact that tertiary alcohols cannot be oxidised
Reply 1785
Original post by airheadbuster
They actually meant "no decomposition" as the first one asked. :smile:

Technically speaking flame test requires heat and in the question it said no heat
i really don't know it is confusing but if you ask any chemistry teacher they will say flame test doesn't work if they stated no heat
Original post by Mohdimad
Technically speaking flame test requires heat and in the question it said no heat
i really don't know it is confusing but if you ask any chemistry teacher they will say flame test doesn't work if they stated no heat

My teacher has a degree from Cambridge university and over 20 years teaching experience and he says the answer is a flame test, so I can be pretty confident on that one :biggrin:
Original post by mrhedgehog
My teacher has a degree from Cambridge university and over 20 years teaching experience and he says the answer is a flame test, so I can be pretty confident on that one :biggrin:

That doesn't mean it's guaranteed :tongue:

Nowdays, exam marks are based on what is included in the mark scheme rather than being scientifically accurate/correct, so you can't be so sure about it.

I'll be ecstatic though if it is on the ms.
Reply 1788
As the questions papers for june 2013 are out on the edexcel website could someone upload them here? thanks
Original post by geor
My chemistry teacher said he thought they would accept it. If you actually read the question it doesn't really imply "without" the use of heat it asks to suggest another test OTHER than the use of heat.
Actually in the exam I read it the latter way and didnt even think twice and then everyone on TSR stressed me out.

No one will know for sure until the mark scheme is released.

It seems harsh to me and I'm gonna lose that mark (I wrote solubility, after debating between that and flame tests for roughly 15 minutes) but I think it's likely that flame tests is what they wanted.

Original post by James A
That doesn't mean it's guaranteed :tongue:

Nowdays, exam marks are based on what is included in the mark scheme rather than being scientifically accurate/correct, so you can't be so sure about it.

I'll be ecstatic though if it is on the ms.

What else would be on the mark scheme, other than flame tests? Solubility seems unlikely (and I say that as someone who picked solubility)
Original post by Big-Daddy
It seems harsh to me and I'm gonna lose that mark (I wrote solubility, after debating between that and flame tests for roughly 15 minutes) but I think it's likely that flame tests is what they wanted.

What else would be on the mark scheme, other than flame tests? Solubility seems unlikely (and I say that as someone who picked solubility)

They can throw in anything tbh. I just wanna see the markscheme :yep:
Original post by James A
Sa

Same here! Although i think once i've seen the mark scheme i'm gonna cry because of all the marks i lost lol! I hope i did well...don't the teachers have access to the mark scheme though??? Because my business teachers have access to our business one.
Original post by lucine.B
Sa

Same here! Although i think once i've seen the mark scheme i'm gonna cry because of all the marks i lost lol! I hope i did well...don't the teachers have access to the mark scheme though??? Because my business teachers have access to our business one.

The teachers should be able to have access to the edexcel exam ms, by now. They get issued with passwords and hence they are able to log in to a secure area on the edexcel website and access it.
Original post by James A
The teachers should be able to have access to the edexcel exam ms, by now. They get issued with passwords and hence they are able to log in to a secure area on the edexcel website and access it.

Thats what i was thinking. I am just going to ask my teachers to show it to me because i am sure they will. Plus if my business teachers showed it to me why wouldn't my chem teachers
Original post by James A

No ... can you think of any examples? No adequate answer except flame testing is anywhere near the syllabus, except maybe solubility.

Trust me on this: if you're sitting at home and can't think of any plausible alternatives, and you know the syllabus properly, then you will be right.
Reply 1795
I just wanna see the question paper so bad lol
It was flame test! :biggrin:
Excellent, I'm set for 112 ums, so my A is in the bag :smile:
Reply 1798
Original post by James A
Excellent, I'm set for 112 ums, so my A is in the bag :smile:

How can you say that you don't know the ums boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
How can you say that you don't know the ums boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually need 105 ums from this paper for my A overall and I counted up 72/80 marks.

66 raw marks is around 105 ums if you use the ums converter for the recent chem2 papers. This paper was a standard paper with some challenging questions, so I highly doubt the raw marks for 105 will be as high as 72 raw marks.

Even so, I did well on the Unit 5 paper, so regardless of the outcome on this paper, I'm pretty damn pleased with everything to do with chem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending