The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

I have a quick question- if the question asks something like 'is a new leader required to successfully change a culture?' could the point for be yes but say how the leader worsened the culture? Or does it have to be an example to do with the success?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by linabina94
Hi Caroline, I have a quick question- if the question asks something like 'is a new leader required to successfully change a culture?' could the point for be yes but say how the leader worsened the culture? Or does it have to be an example to do with the success?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd probably give other factors that could be used to successfully change the culture other than leadership.
Reply 522
Can someone please list the business they are using for section A. I think I've got far too many crammed in..
Bugger, just realised I've made a stupid mistake in all my research. I focused way too heavily on section B and pretty much forgotten about Section A... Can anybody tell me how I might apply the following businesses to section A?
-Google
-Barclays
-Apple
-Starbucks
-John Lewis Partnership
-Sony
-Microsoft
Original post by snowster
Bugger, just realised I've made a stupid mistake in all my research. I focused way too heavily on section B and pretty much forgotten about Section A... Can anybody tell me how I might apply the following businesses to section A?
-Google
-Barclays
-Apple
-Starbucks
-John Lewis Partnership
-Sony
-Microsoft

Apple - innovative culture and culture of secrecy
Barclays - Short termist culture and bonus culture
Google - person culture
John Lewis - Family culture, culture of 'togetherness' that comes with the partnership scheme
Haven't done the other ones, I plan to this evening though.
Reply 525
Can anyone put notes for section A and B on this im only startin to revise tonyt n im pretty much screwed? :frown:
Reply 526
Original post by snowster
-Google
-Barclays
-Apple
-Starbucks
-John Lewis Partnership
-Sony
-Microsoft

From what I can see, the businesses you've got are fine for section A, it's obviously just how you apply the cultural aspects of these businesses and the effect that has for section A. Apple for example, have incorporated a design culture throughout the company all because of Steve Jobs. This CEO believed that design is absolutely everything and this is heavily reflected from his involvement with the designing of the products apple produced. The design team is small and very secretive - not even the designers know about the final product and therefore every employee is allocated to a specific role in the company and they do their part and nothing else.

That's just a brief example of Apple and you could then bring an argument in about another business operating in a completely different fashion to them. You could talk about Barclay's for example and their previous culture of focusing on short-term profits and not focusing on customers - (Apple do heavily focus on their customers and strive to deliver 100% perfection with the products and service they provide within the company.

Just a couple of paragraphs comparing the core values and practises of the two businesses. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 527
Has anyone got a mock answer for a organisational culture question that they could send? would be really happy if osmeone could..
Reply 528
Any notes on Amazon people?
Original post by Superunknown17
You'd probably give other factors that could be used to successfully change the culture other than leadership.

Thanks but could I talk about how a leader can change an organisational culture in a negative way, putting the company in a worsened situation for example Bob Diamond turning Barclays culture to a toxic one or do the points 'for' have to be only reasons for success?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anybody got anything on the sub-culture at Barclays specifically? I can give you some info on another business if you want to do it that way?
Reply 531
Can some one give me a company example of toxic sub cultures or cultural differences within an organisation for example; Barclays...
'Do you agree that organisational culture is the best source of competitive advantage?' What could the points against be? I can only think of leaders strategy - Kate swann cutting costs and improving distribution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 533
there is defo U coming in this test! jesus the thought of it makes me feel sick!
Reply 534
how much detail do we need to use the case studies with in the exam? :smile:
Reply 535
Original post by LibertineDan
Has anybody got anything on the sub-culture at Barclays specifically? I can give you some info on another business if you want to do it that way?

barclaya subculture was through its investment banking section as they were focused on making profits instead of upholding ethical values which I think had an effect on the culture of the business as a whole as employees became more focused on making profits in order to obtain bigger bonuses...
'Do you agree that organisational culture is the best source of competitive advantage?' What could the points against be? I can only think of leaders strategy - Kate swann cutting costs and improving distribution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you'd look at other sources of competitive advantage. e.g. Selling products/services with a USP.
Reply 537
Original post by rubix1
Any notes on Amazon people?

I'll be honest, the only thing I know about Amazon is that the CEO doesn't have much hair and that they have these cool little robot things operating in the warehouses if that's any help?
Reply 538

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could talk about things like IKEA and their high moral values in their culture, and the fact that everyone lives the values of the company which has led it to be extremely successful :smile:
Original post by Kemz
barclaya subculture was through its investment banking section as they were focused on making profits instead of upholding ethical values which I think had an effect on the culture of the business as a whole as employees became more focused on making profits in order to obtain bigger bonuses...

Thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply