The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, does anyone know when it asks us to draw the shape of the complex ion do the want us to use dash and wedged arrow or normal arrow?
Original post by flyylikejetz
anyone ... ?

you blud... in the table it says lattice DISSOCIATION... YOU NEED LATTICE FORMATION SO YOU CHANGE THE + TO A NEGATIVE
Original post by elliewoodheadx
How does Cr(H2O)6^3+ react with NH2CH2CH2NH2? In terms of the equation? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

in the question it stataes that, that molecule reacts like Ammonia. so you would assume that. depends on whether its in xs or not
Reply 1803
How do we know when we're given a bond enthalpy instead of atomisation?? Does it say? I've never seen one on a paper
So is bond enthalpy double the atomisation?
How does Cr(H2O)6^3+ react with NH2CH2CH2NH2? In terms of the equation? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

They asked this before with Al(h2o)6 3+, so it must be similar.

2[Cr(H2O)6]3+ + 3H2NCH2CH2NH2 --> 2[Cr(h2o)3(oh)3]+ + 3[3HNCH2CH2NH3]2+
Original post by OFoster
Why does Al2O3 has a lower melting point than MgO, even though it is smaller and more highly charged?!

the 3+ ions distort the oxygens electron cloud making the bonds partially covalent
Original post by MrMeep2580
in the question it stataes that, that molecule reacts like Ammonia. so you would assume that. depends on whether its in xs or not

So it would make Cr(OH)^3- in XS with what products? :s-smilie: NH3CH2CH2NH3?
Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 16dan2life
They asked this before with Al(h2o)6 3+, so it must be similar.

2[Cr(H2O)6]3+ + 3H2NCH2CH2NH2 --> 2[Cr(h2o)3(oh)3]+ + 3[3HNCH2CH2NH3]2+

Wouldn't it make Cr(OH)6^3- though? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marleyxd
How do we know when we're given a bond enthalpy instead of atomisation?? Does it say? I've never seen one on a paper
So is bond enthalpy double the atomisation?

depends on the compound. Let's say the question is to do with NaCl, we'd expect atomisation to be 1/2Cl2 -> Cl

If they gave us, Cl2 -> 2Cl, then this is bond dissociation, so we need to half this value, to work out the atomisation.
Wouldn't it make Cr(OH)6^3- though? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats with NaOH, not diaminoethane
Hey guys, quick question and sorry if this has already been answered.

I;ve attached a table from june11 paper q 5 and its asking to do a cell representation using the Zn and Ag2o equestions.

I just wanted to know why Pt boundaries are penalised, and what is the general rule when to put the Pt and when not to.

thank you
Reply 1811
hello, can someone explain to me question 3d on Jan 2013 please? it would be a big help....I do not get why you do 70-189.
anyone got the june 2013 mark scheme? thanks.
Original post by problematic
Hey guys, quick question and sorry if this has already been answered.

I;ve attached a table from june11 paper q 5 and its asking to do a cell representation using the Zn and Ag2o equestions.

I just wanted to know why Pt boundaries are penalised, and what is the general rule when to put the Pt and when not to.

thank you

The question does state that a Zinc and Silver electrode are used, if it mentioned no electrode, then I'd expect you write Pt.
useful link-

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/complexions/shapes.html#top

about shapes of complex metal ions and many others
Reply 1815
Original post by MrMeep2580
Reaction two occurs when its left in the prescence of oxygen, oxygen oxidises it to Co3+

Or you can use hydrogen perioxide to oxidise Co2+

No i know that, how do you figure out the equation? More specifically the 2 moles of each reactant except H2O2
Original post by 16dan2life
The question does state that a Zinc and Silver electrode are used, if it mentioned no electrode, then I'd expect you write Pt.

Ahhh I see, thank you ! :smile:
To cheer everyone up during revision :smile: :biggrin:tumblr_mmcejatyrX1qi68juo1_400.jpg
In the electrochemical cell, where it's like Zn and Cu, how do you know that Zn has more tendency to oxidise to Zn2+ than Cu?
So confused, for lattice enthalpies , when the experimental values in born haber cycles is bigger than the value from theory, it means the bonding is stronger because the ions are polarised, so it contains partial covalent bonding. But then in the periodicity unit Al203 has a lower melting point because it contains covalent bonding??

So does covalent character in ionic bonding make bonds stronger or weaker??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending