The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by rubix1
Any examples for retrenchment? Other than Tesco (Fresh&Easy in US)

THANKS

Starbucks, Nokia, MySpace...
Reply 541
How does Zappos and Ikea actually have a comparative advantage in terms of culture. I know Zappos has 10 core values ect how does it actually create a comparative advantage
Original post by Proflash
How does Zappos and Ikea actually have a comparative advantage in terms of culture. I know Zappos has 10 core values ect how does it actually create a comparative advantage

Its competitive advantage is the fact that it has such good customer service, for example the help line is completely free and employees are encouraged to stay on the phone for as long as it takes for the customer to be satisfied. Also, Zappos originally worked with another business that would deliver the shoes to the customers, however due to reports of late/wrong deliveries, Tony Hsieh (the leader) decided that they themselves would deliver the shoes to prevent issues. All of this lead to the business achieving their objectives of being on the Forbes list of best companies to work for and also in 2008 hit its goal of $1 billion in gross sales. Hope this helps!
Reply 543
Is conglomerate integration only possible in a merger or is it able to happen in a takeover?
Original post by CGEEZ_95
From what I can see, the businesses you've got are fine for section A, it's obviously just how you apply the cultural aspects of these businesses and the effect that has for section A. Apple for example, have incorporated a design culture throughout the company all because of Steve Jobs. This CEO believed that design is absolutely everything and this is heavily reflected from his involvement with the designing of the products apple produced. The design team is small and very secretive - not even the designers know about the final product and therefore every employee is allocated to a specific role in the company and they do their part and nothing else.

That's just a brief example of Apple and you could then bring an argument in about another business operating in a completely different fashion to them. You could talk about Barclay's for example and their previous culture of focusing on short-term profits and not focusing on customers - (Apple do heavily focus on their customers and strive to deliver 100% perfection with the products and service they provide within the company.

Just a couple of paragraphs comparing the core values and practises of the two businesses. Hope that helps :smile:

Original post by Superunknown17
Apple - innovative culture and culture of secrecy
Barclays - Short termist culture and bonus culture
Google - person culture
John Lewis - Family culture, culture of 'togetherness' that comes with the partnership scheme
Haven't done the other ones, I plan to this evening though.

Thanks, guys :smile:
Reply 545
Original post by sarahhunt9
Its competitive advantage is the fact that it has such good customer service, for example the help line is completely free and employees are encouraged to stay on the phone for as long as it takes for the customer to be satisfied. Also, Zappos originally worked with another business that would deliver the shoes to the customers, however due to reports of late/wrong deliveries, Tony Hsieh (the leader) decided that they themselves would deliver the shoes to prevent issues. All of this lead to the business achieving their objectives of being on the Forbes list of best companies to work for and also in 2008 hit its goal of $1 billion in gross sales. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!
Am I right in thinking "The HP Way" is all about innovation?
Original post by Proflash

Zappos comparative advantage lies in its competitive advantage of its culture. their core values are sharedby all employees in the business, and this allows them to be efficent because they're all working with the same core values and goals in mind, which in turn allows them to be more productive and also makes teamwork easier. With Tony Hsieh, he siad that once you have the culture right, everything will fall into place, so great customer service etc will happen naturally - and this is exactly the case in Zappos. By having a culture where eveyones valued and trusted, this is then reflected onto its customer service, they value their customers and as a result the customers are loyal so its increased profits and happy days for zappos.

with ikea, their comparative advantage also lies in their competitive advantage of their culture, whereby again all employees are valued, and this makes them want to be efficent and do well, so they create good products, which are often quite innovative, which attracts customers continually so again, higher profits, happy shareholders. sorry i dont really know that much about ikea so.

basically, a strong positive culture is always a competivie advantage because its intangible. although tangible things, like machines can be a competitive advantage, these can be bought by competitors, undermining the previous businesses competitive advantage. culture takes ages to create and therefore it can't be copied by its competitors easily, which is great for companies with a strong culture and that often leads them to do better than many of their competitors.
Reply 548
Does any1 have an example answer for organisational culture?:s
Original post by LibertineDan
Maybe you'd look at other sources of competitive advantage. e.g. Selling products/services with a USP.

Oh yeah.. I have been concentrating so much on learning the key companies I forget about the points to make on things like usp's and stuff D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 550
why are royal mail changing their orgnaisational culture?
Original post by iggyDash

I think the main reason is to prepare for possible privatisation meaning that all of the government's shares will be sold and they'll become their own independent business.

Moya Greene is the new CEO so another reason could be that change of leadership. However, I'm not sure if Royal Mail had already decided to change their culture before they brought her in.
Reply 552
Original post by sofiax0
Zappos comparative advantage lies in its competitive advantage of its culture. their core values are sharedby all employees in the business, and this allows them to be efficent because they're all working with the same core values and goals in mind, which in turn allows them to be more productive and also makes teamwork easier. With Tony Hsieh, he siad that once you have the culture right, everything will fall into place, so great customer service etc will happen naturally - and this is exactly the case in Zappos. By having a culture where eveyones valued and trusted, this is then reflected onto its customer service, they value their customers and as a result the customers are loyal so its increased profits and happy days for zappos.

with ikea, their comparative advantage also lies in their competitive advantage of their culture, whereby again all employees are valued, and this makes them want to be efficent and do well, so they create good products, which are often quite innovative, which attracts customers continually so again, higher profits, happy shareholders. sorry i dont really know that much about ikea so.

basically, a strong positive culture is always a competivie advantage because its intangible. although tangible things, like machines can be a competitive advantage, these can be bought by competitors, undermining the previous businesses competitive advantage. culture takes ages to create and therefore it can't be copied by its competitors easily, which is great for companies with a strong culture and that often leads them to do better than many of their competitors.

WOOAAHHH nice style of writing :wink:
Original post by iggyDash

because there was negative cash four years in a row before Moya Greene.

They need to prepare for privatisation

letters are hardly being sent these days, they need a change in strategy to deal with the changing external market, whereby theres a growth in parcels, so they need to become a parcel company that deals with letters rather than a letter company that deals with parcels

previously they had a bureaucratic culture, which was bad in the fast-growing maker because they weren't responding to changes flexibly.

Reply 554
"Royal Mail: regulatory change and potential privatisation force a substantial change programme"

Anyone know what regulation change?
Reply 555
Original post by sofiax0

letters are hardly being sent these days, they need a change in strategy to deal with the changing external market, whereby theres a growth in parcels, so they need to become a parcel company that deals with letters rather than a letter company that deals with parcels

previously they had a bureaucratic culture, which was bad in the fast-growing maker because they weren't responding to changes flexibly.

Thank you, Your clearly going to do well your a guru. If you have the right exam technique your sorted
HELP. Am I on the right track with this question? I really don't want to fail... :s-smilie:

Is corporate cultural change slow and painful (40)

I put:
YES - Nokia (Stephen Elop said it would take 5 years and since Apple is dominating them in terms of innovation it will be hard to change their culture to pure innovation).
YES - Barclays (Due to the their 'toxic' culture of PPI mis-selling, tax evasion and the Libor rate fixing it will be hard for Antony Jenkins to restore brand image and to motivate employees).
NO - Royal Mail (Successful move from private to public and she included the employees more through her blog and the modernisation of technology proved to be a speedy process).
NO - Apple (After Cook moved in he continued the innovative culture but he improved communication more since it was a power culture and not task. He also carried on with the 100 Apple days for employees).

Not sure about the Apple factor as I couldn't think of anything else.

Also, for the conclusion would you yes or no then support this by one of the businesses used in the essay? e.g. It would be slow and painful due to Barclays...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 557
Original post by sofiax0

Which companies have you researched mainly? And for what topics can you use those companies in?
Reply 558
Does anyone have some notes on virgin and their diversification strategy and how this has lead to success?
Reply 559
Original post by rubix1
Any notes on Amazon people?

You could talk about their successful takeover of Zappos for $807m, broadening their product portfolio (had previously tried to enter the online shoe market with endless.com). Both cultures were kept intact which didn't disrupt performance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending