The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2260
Original post by mrmccarl
when you reduce a carboxlic acid, do you get 2 alcohol groups as a result?

Reduction of carboxylic acid is not on the spec. Only carbonyl compounds (ketones and aldehydes).
Reply 2261
Original post by thers
Correct. My turn.

1) Which patient should not have MRI scan

2) State the difference between proton and carbon-13 spectrums

3) Suggest which spectrum is more accurate in determining a compound
Reply 2262
I'm liking the look of this!
Reply 2263
when you reduce a carboxlic acid, do you get 2 alcohol groups as a result?

no- just one!
Reply 2264
Although I don't do this exam board, I enjoy Chemistry and plan on studying it next year! If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them! PM me or just quote me.
Reply 2265
Original post by otrivine
1) Which patient should not have MRI scan

2) State the difference between proton and carbon-13 spectrums

3) Suggest which spectrum is more accurate in determining a compound

1) Those with artificial pacemakers/metal implants

2) Proton NMR shows splitting patterns to determine number of adjacent protons. C-13 does not

3) Proton NMR because of above.

What is the difference between structural isomers and stereoisomers?
What is meant by E/Z isomerism?
What is meant by cis-trans isomerism?
Reply 2266
Original post by thers
Reduction of carboxylic acid is not on the spec. Only carbonyl compounds (ketones and aldehydes).

im sure there was a question in the past papers that we had to reduce a carboxylic acid?
Reply 2267
Original post by JimmyA*
It's because it can undergo further substitution, page 38 of the text book :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by thers
Correct. My turn.

Hello, I don't quite understand question 4c in Jan 2012 paper, for the ester the structure was C(CH3)3CH2COOCH2CH3 (check mark scheme) but I got C(CH3)3COOCH2CH2CH3 (Ive attached the molecule I got).

Why is my structure wrong?

hehe.png
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Reply 2269
Original post by thers

2) Proton NMR shows splitting patterns to determine number of adjacent protons. C-13 does not

why should patients with pacemakers not undergo MRI?
Reply 2270
im sure there was a question in the past papers that we had to reduce a carboxylic acid?

That was Jan 12. You could have completed the whole question without knowledge of reduction of carboxylic acid. From synthesis 2, you worked backwards to determine how this happens. Then in synthesis 3, you had to use this knowledge to reduce the next carboxylic acid.
Original post by thers

it came up on jan 2012
Reply 2272
No - you get an aldehyde
Reply 2273
Original post by thers

correct!

1) structural isomer is where the compound has the same molecular formula but with different arrangements of atom, stereoisomers are compounds with the same structural formula but with different arragnements of atom in space

2/3) E/Z isomerisim (cis/trans) occurs when a carbon is attached to 2 different atoms or groups of atom and because of the restricted rotation of the c=c bond. Also, the cis isomerisim is where the hydrogen atoms are on the same side and the trans isomer is where the hydrogen atoms are on opposite sides to/of each other.
Reply 2274
Can someone help me with the conditions for the formation of an azo dye.
In my notes for January I wrote down "alkaline conditions" after looking at all the mark schemes.
But when I looked at the mark scheme for January 2013 it specifically says "hot aqueous NaOH" :s-smilie:

Why does OCR change their mark shceme and what should I write in the exam tomorrow?
can somebody plz explain nmr question on jan 2013 paper?
Reply 2276
Someone please help! I thought that at the isoelectric point if you have an NH2 on the R group that gets protonated as well, but on the mark scheme for June 2012 I just did it says only accept one NH2 group protonated?!
Original post by tatters
Someone please help! I thought that at the isoelectric point if you have an NH2 on the R group that gets protonated as well, but on the mark scheme for June 2012 I just did it says only accept one NH2 group protonated?!

No! Just remember that the isoelectric point is when a ZWITTERION exists meaning there is NO NET OVERALL CHARGE so only one NH2 is protonated, if 2 were protonated then the overall charge would be -1
Reply 2278
Original post by Raafae
Can someone help me with the conditions for the formation of an azo dye.
In my notes for January I wrote down "alkaline conditions" after looking at all the mark schemes.
But when I looked at the mark scheme for January 2013 it specifically says "hot aqueous NaOH" :s-smilie:

Why does OCR change their mark shceme and what should I write in the exam tomorrow?

Reaction 4 was just a alkali hydrolysis reaction. Didn't really have anything to do with azo dye formation.
Reply 2279
why should patients with pacemakers not undergo MRI?

I imagine because it used radioactive wave , it could damage the heart

Latest

Trending

Trending