The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by needtosucceed=)
that sounds good but is a page really necessarily? you should evaluate at the end of each paragraph so surely half a page would be enough for a final conclusion?

It should be enough i guess but when 14 marks are available for evaluation, it's better to be safe than sorry..
Reply 581
Original post by LukeKnights
I've researched 4 businesses for section A, is that enough? Also, what research should I do for section B? I'm really struggling because there's so much, and it's often hard to find relevant info!
halp

Should be enough. Research examples rather than companies for section B. Get examples on globalisation, diversification, market share, growth, retrenchment etc.
analysis is worth 10 marks and application 8. knowledge/content is 8. evaluation 14.

as you can see analysis and application are worth similar amounts.

Can you please define all of those words please? Like what exactly is the difference between analysis/application/knowledge/content?
Original post by sofiax0
Amazon have a task culture where people are divided into different groups, recieve lines, pack lines, putting away suppliers products and pickers, with mobile problem solvers.

Amazon is interesting because it actually has quite a negative culture in its warehouses, employees walk 7-14 miles a day, and its quite darwinistic. for example, an employee got sick during a shift and then then next time she came in she didnt have a job, similarly an employee took a day off because his boots supplied by amazon gave him blisters and pain, and then next time he came in he had also lost his job. Employees also have to walk through an airport style security system to get to have a 30 min lunch break.

to a certain extent, particularly looking at the warehouse in Rugley, although it does have a task culture where everyone has specifc tasks, its not necessarily a strong culture. This is because Rugley sufffered from structural unemployment due to the coal mine closures in the 90's, and therefore people work there to have a job, rather than because they embrace the company values. In addition to this, it has a negative culture because of the darwinistic culture, because there's job uncertainty and insecurity. On the one hand this motivates employees to work hard because they don't want to be the ones to lose their jobs, but on the other hand, they are demotivated because there jobs are so uncertain.

But, although Amazon may not necessarily have a strong or positive culture in its warehouses, it still proves to be particularly successful, as it is becoming increasingly popular, for example 1 in 4 books are purchased from amazon, and also the kindle has been proven to be a success

Amazon, despite not necessarily having a strong or positive culture, is slowly beginning to dominate the market, with the growing e-retail and its cheap products, and therefore, despite its culture, it's still doing well.

Do you have the link or articles if any to the firing of those amazon employees
Original post by nadster
Should be enough. Research examples rather than companies for section B. Get examples on globalisation, diversification, market share, growth, retrenchment etc.

Okay thanks, do you have any examples you'd be willing to share? :smile:
Reply 585
Original post by MrChuckNorris
Can you please define all of those words please? Like what exactly is the difference between analysis/application/knowledge/content?

Knowledge is basically definitions, explanations, practically the same as content. Analysis refers to a logical chain of argument...stepping stones to your conclusion! Application is when you use real world businesses to illustrate your point. Good application is awarded when you integrate your examples fully into the point you're making and compare between two different companies.
Original post by MrChuckNorris

application - using business examples to support your argument eg. a fact about amazon that relates to the point you're making
analysis - explaining cause and effect. why did X happen, how did it occur, and what are the effects on this for the business? ie. advantages and disadvantages
theory/content - the initial point you make and use to business theory eg. ansoffs matrix, use of technical business terms. eg. market share,diversification etc.
Original post by gunner4life95
Do you have the link or articles if any to the firing of those amazon employees

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/ed6a985c-70bd-11e2-85d0-00144feab49a.html#slide0
its quite long but i think its really worth it

i also watched a couple of videos, which i think were on tutor2u
Original post by nadster
It should be enough i guess but when 14 marks are available for evaluation, it's better to be safe than sorry..

yea definitely, but you should get around half of those marks during the essay so its better to spend your time on those chunky paragraphs rather than a really long conclusion.
Reply 589
can someone help me out with planning for change and making strategic decision? what businesses can I used for them and explain why please

thanks
Reply 590
Reply 591
yea definitely, but you should get around half of those marks during the essay so its better to spend your time on those chunky paragraphs rather than a really long conclusion.

You're right, thanks :rolleyes:
Reply 593
is globalisation the same as EU and emerging market?
Reply 594
what is everyones perfect buss4 question for section A or B?
Reply 595
Original post by sofiax0
Amazon have a task culture where people are divided into different groups, recieve lines, pack lines, putting away suppliers products and pickers, with mobile problem solvers.

Amazon is interesting because it actually has quite a negative culture in its warehouses, employees walk 7-14 miles a day, and its quite darwinistic. for example, an employee got sick during a shift and then then next time she came in she didnt have a job, similarly an employee took a day off because his boots supplied by amazon gave him blisters and pain, and then next time he came in he had also lost his job. Employees also have to walk through an airport style security system to get to have a 30 min lunch break.

to a certain extent, particularly looking at the warehouse in Rugley, although it does have a task culture where everyone has specifc tasks, its not necessarily a strong culture. This is because Rugley sufffered from structural unemployment due to the coal mine closures in the 90's, and therefore people work there to have a job, rather than because they embrace the company values. In addition to this, it has a negative culture because of the darwinistic culture, because there's job uncertainty and insecurity. On the one hand this motivates employees to work hard because they don't want to be the ones to lose their jobs, but on the other hand, they are demotivated because there jobs are so uncertain.

But, although Amazon may not necessarily have a strong or positive culture in its warehouses, it still proves to be particularly successful, as it is becoming increasingly popular, for example 1 in 4 books are purchased from amazon, and also the kindle has been proven to be a success

Amazon, despite not necessarily having a strong or positive culture, is slowly beginning to dominate the market, with the growing e-retail and its cheap products, and therefore, despite its culture, it's still doing well.

whoops didnt mean to write that much sorry

ive done amazon, barclays, zappos, royal mail, john lewis, mid-staffordshire hospital, enron, yahoo and southwest airlines. i also need to do tesco and ikea but. For topics, i havent really sorted them into topics - sorry. what have you done?

You are a bloody genius :redface: Sit the exam for me? :P
Ive done Apple, Nokia, Amazon, Zappos (a bit), Barclays, Ikea, M&S (CSR), Tesco (Retrenchment) and Primark (I work there! :P)
Reply 596
Original post by Spencer.G
what is everyones perfect buss4 question for section A or B?

i'm hoping something to do with a specific cultural type is going to come up. something along the lines of:
"does an innovative culture guarantee the future success of a business?"
Reply 597
Original post by OEAFAS
is globalisation the same as EU and emerging market?

Almost, it's mainly about businesses expanding into new geographical markets.
Reply 598
Original post by LukeKnights
Okay thanks, do you have any examples you'd be willing to share? :smile:

Can't remember where i saved the rest of my article links, but if you give me a topic area, I will tell you the examples i know of :smile:
Reply 599
anyone got any business examples for when governments have intervened in the market? i was doing an essay plan today for
"is more regulation required in order to ensure multinationals act ethically"
all i could think of/ find was nestle...

Quick Reply