The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurenculver24
What is everyone doing in the last day or so before the exam? And does the answer have to be BALANCED? I'm confused!

Yes, why wouldn't it be? The examiners expect you to make a judgement, you can't do that with a one sided argument.
Reply 641
Original post by andyjack94
can anyone help me... I can't really think of a valid reason why employee and management reward structure is an important influence on culture?
My example is John Lewis which is an obvious one. But don't know how to get the analysis marks:frown:

Your analysis "stepping stones" may include the impact on alignment and motivation. The feeling of empowerment and ability to make an impact. Then you could mention the subsequent impact on labour turnover, productivity, culture etc.
Reply 642
can anyone help me... I can't really think of a valid reason why employee and management reward structure is an important influence on culture?
My example is John Lewis which is an obvious one. But don't know how to get the analysis marks:frown:

Barclays, they put emphasis on bonuses and it ruined their culture by making it based on profits through irrational and illegal sales. When the investment bankers came across a problem the people higher up in the hierarchy expected them to 'deal with it' which puts pressure on them etc... just analyse it from there
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Superunknown17
Yes, why wouldn't it be? The examiners expect you to make a judgement, you can't do that with a one sided argument.

I read somewhere it could be 1 for 3 against (or vice versa), I was wondering if that was allowable or not...
Reply 644
Ive researched Amazon, Ikea, SouthWest Airlines, RBS/Barclays, Nokia, Google and John Lewis. Is this enough? I havnt reasearched much on section B and I am fully dependent on Section A I need atleast a D :/
Reply 645
Original post by laurenculver24
I read somewhere it could be 1 for 3 against (or vice versa), I was wondering if that was allowable or not...

i strongly suggest you avoid this technique. make sure it is as balanced as possible. but remember, evaluation does not always have to be solely in the conclusion. bits of evaulation can be throughout the essay - even in the introduction! as long as you explain your reasons in your balanced paragraphs :smile:
Reply 646
Has anyone got any good research they would like to share?
Should we always state and describe Handy's classifications in the intro for Section A? Should we do that for any culture question or not describe the features of each classification and just state that there are four; Power, Role, Task and Person? I'm stuck on how to begin the essays..
Reply 648
Original post by MrChuckNorris
Should we always state and describe Handy's classifications in the intro for Section A? Should we do that for any culture question or not describe the features of each classification and just state that there are four; Power, Role, Task and Person? I'm stuck on how to begin the essays..

Don't randomly "state and define". I would only state and define if i can relate Handy's theory to the point i am making...
Original post by nadster
Your analysis "stepping stones" may include the impact on alignment and motivation. The feeling of empowerment and ability to make an impact. Then you could mention the subsequent impact on labour turnover, productivity, culture etc.

that doesn't explain why it is an important influence on culture though?
Reply 650
Original post by nadster
Don't randomly "state and define". I would only state and define if i can relate Handy's theory to the point i am making...

That's a good point, application is only awarded if it's relevant to the point you're making, right?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 651
that doesn't explain why it is an important influence on culture though?

Oh sorry, i think i misunderstood what you were asking. I think the focus is on alignment. It encourages people to work together to collectively achieve the objectives of the firm. This will maximise their financial earnings but also satisfaction. This helps to make the culture at John Lewis, for example, a strong, positive one. It also makes it reasonably sustainable, with employees working together rather than against each other, the culture at John Lewis can be used as a source of competitive advantage also helping to attract the best workers to the business...
I hope this answers your question better
Reply 652
Original post by J_W-x
That's a good point, application is only awarded if it's relevant to the point your making, right?

Definitely, otherwise it's classed as story telling....examiners don't like that
Is corporate planning a waste of time in a period of rapid technological change?

What research would you bring in to a question like this? (off of tutor2u)
Original post by nadster
Oh sorry, i think i misunderstood what you were asking. I think the focus is on alignment. It encourages people to work together to collectively achieve the objectives of the firm. This will maximise their financial earnings but also satisfaction. This helps to make the culture at John Lewis, for example, a strong, positive one. It also makes it reasonably sustainable, with employees working together rather than against each other, the culture at John Lewis can be used as a source of competitive advantage also helping to attract the best workers to the business...
I hope this answers your question better

That is fantastic stuff. If it isn't any inconvenience could you do why leadership is an important influence too, not sure if my analysis on that is up to scratch either!
Please could someone post their notes for the chapter 'the relationship between business and the technological environment'?
Reply 656
Final push unitll 11pm them i'll call it a day
Reply 657
Original post by LukeKnights
Is corporate planning a waste of time in a period of rapid technological change?

What research would you bring in to a question like this? (off of tutor2u)

That's a tough one. I think Nokia and Kodak would be key businesses to talk about here. In the case of Nokia, they had developed a touchscreen phone before the iPhone was launched. They did a lot of corporate planning and decided it was too risky to launch the product. This was similar to Kodak... they developed the first ever digital camera, but their excessive corporate planning discouraged them from launching the product. The first ever digital camera was subsequently launched six years after Kodak developed this prototype by SONY.
Original post by iggyDash
Final push unitll 11pm them i'll call it a day

That's my thinking, too. Been working pretty much solidly all day since about 8am... So much progress made today :biggrin:
Reply 659
Original post by kbr118
how much detail do we need to use the case studies with in the exam? :smile:

Dont know whether this has been answered but for section a you are told to refer to the case study at least twice, about 30% of you examples should be from the case study and the rest your own research

for section b you dont have to refer to the case study given at all. i think it would be best to use your own research as you would probably have more info, unless you have researched the business given in the case study then use it, i would say use it if you get extremely stuck, but apart from that you dont have to refer to it at all

Quick Reply

Latest