The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

i got my offer of accommodation to Chancellor's Court today :biggrin: i was reading the information about it on the website and i think it said something about having to take your own duvets and pillows. i'm not bothered about that but they said they provide sheets there:

- is this pillow cases, duvet covers and bed sheets?
- do we wash the sheets ourselves?
- if we do take our own pillows, duvets, sheets etc and they wash them for us, how do they tell the difference?

sorry if it's really obvious and/or if i'm asking in the wrong place but i was getting really confused over this :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by EllieSaysHeya
- is this pillow cases, duvet covers and bed sheets?
- do we wash the sheets ourselves?
- if we do take our own pillows, duvets, sheets etc and they wash them for us, how do they tell the difference?

They provide pillow cases (2 I seem to remember), duvet cover, and bed sheet. They wash them (weekly cleaner takes sheets away and leaves new set). If you have your own then you wash them.

The university sell bedding packs, albeit they're not super quality. I took my own bedding (both outsides and insides as it were) for use in Pollock - I didn't want a poor quality set of sheets and your own duvet and duvet cover can make a really difference in terms of making it seem at least a little homely.
Unconditionally firmed for English! Does anyone want to talk about it?
Just finished my final Geography exam, completed 3 A-Levels, hopefully, providing I haven't bailed at life too much in any of my other exams, I may have already done enough to meet the AAA. Only my final Drama exam to go now. Getting a taste today of how nerve wracking results day will be.
Original post by vrose185
I'm going into second year illustration! Definately going to get tedious explaining haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I'm going in for 2nd year painting too!! Glad there's more 2nd year freshers! :smile:
Reply 405
Original post by Opasniipocik
I firmed engineering , need AAA , do you think they will still give me an offer if i get AAB ?!?
Maths is killing me ,..

I also firmed for general engineering.. Messed up my unit 4 phys so im afraid i will achieve AAB hopefully there will be enough places for us to get in! :biggrin:
Original post by unionthesalmon
Unconditionally firmed for English! Does anyone want to talk about it?

Congratulations! I firmed English Literature ages ago. I'm still waiting for my CAS. What about you?
Anybody for English Lit? ( I'm thinking of applying ) is it hard to get in? And who has offers? & how respected is it? ( I've no idea because I'm not from the UK ) Oh and is anyone a current student of EngLit? Tell me everything! lol
Reply 408
Original post by AlexKay99
Anybody for English Lit? ( I'm thinking of applying ) is it hard to get in? And who has offers? & how respected is it? ( I've no idea because I'm not from the UK ) Oh and is anyone a current student of EngLit? Tell me everything! lol

I have an unconditional offer for English Literature and Philosophy with 35 IB points (which I was thrilled with because I was not happy with my results), but I heard that joint honours are easier to get in for. I don't know if this is true or not, often at other universities joint honours require higher results, but apparently this is not the case at Edinburgh. I applied post results which I think also made it easier. Edinburgh is a well respected university, it's in the Russell Group which is the group of 24 leading universities in the UK, if you google it you can find out lots of good stuff e.g. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9412332/Graduate-jobs-Top-10-universities-for-getting-a-job.html and http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-english
Reply 409

I have an offer for English Lit. The short answer is yeah, it's pretty competitive but so are most courses at Edinburgh, it's a well-respected uni :smile: Where are you from as the prospectus may have guidelines for entry requirements for the type of exams you sit? I can only speak for Scottish highers, but a realistic offer would be AABB-AAAA, although BBBB upwards is considered :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reactive
I also firmed for general engineering.. Messed up my unit 4 phys so im afraid i will achieve AAB hopefully there will be enough places for us to get in! :biggrin:

I also messed up on Physics 4 for the second time, so awful... I'm expecting AAB with B in Physics too!! I'm a maths applicant though, thankfully my offer is of ABB (something to do with my school).
Original post by sarzed
I have an offer for English Lit. The short answer is yeah, it's pretty competitive but so are most courses at Edinburgh, it's a well-respected uni :smile: Where are you from as the prospectus may have guidelines for entry requirements for the type of exams you sit? I can only speak for Scottish highers, but a realistic offer would be AABB-AAAA, although BBBB upwards is considered :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from Ireland, I heard entry requirements are usually 6 A's at Higher Level for Leaving Certificate but I'm worried about Chemistry because it is so tough I might end up getting a B- if I do, can they still accept me if I get an offer?
Original post by indiah
I have an unconditional offer for English Literature and Philosophy with 35 IB points (which I was thrilled with because I was not happy with my results), but I heard that joint honours are easier to get in for. I don't know if this is true or not, often at other universities joint honours require higher results, but apparently this is not the case at Edinburgh. I applied post results which I think also made it easier. Edinburgh is a well respected university, it's in the Russell Group which is the group of 24 leading universities in the UK, if you google it you can find out lots of good stuff e.g. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9412332/Graduate-jobs-Top-10-universities-for-getting-a-job.html and http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2013/jun/04/university-guide-english

Thanks a lot ! I knew that Edinburgh was respected but not in terms of English, I just found out that they practically invented the study! I'm guessing English lit alone is very competitive but I'll try and not be put off by that fact! Also congrats on your offer ! :smile:
Reply 413
I'm from Ireland, I heard entry requirements are usually 6 A's at Higher Level for Leaving Certificate but I'm worried about Chemistry because it is so tough I might end up getting a B- if I do, can they still accept me if I get an offer?

This is the link to Irish Leaving Certificate policies. Basically, the minimum requirement is a B3 at Higher in five subjects. The typical offer is A2 at Higher in six subjects.

So it's perfectly possible to be given an offer of AAAAAB. Every course is highly competitive, so you'd have to demonstrate a strong and rounded application, but it's perfectly possible.
Firmed for Physics but am going to study mathematical physics:biggrin:
Original post by christina24

Another Physics Firmer
I firmed Physics too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ryan.tran1509
Another Physics Firmer
I firmed Physics too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeaah!! am really looking forward to studying it! You just wanted to study physics alone opposed to a certain area of physics? :smile:

Ahhh my friend from my school has firmed for Mathematical Physics :smile:
Yeaah!! am really looking forward to studying it! You just wanted to study physics alone opposed to a certain area of physics? :smile:

I dont know yet, but now i'm keen on particle physics and cosmology :colondollar: but maybe i'll change my mind when i study something new there :biggrin:
Original post by ryan.tran1509
I dont know yet, but now i'm keen on particle physics and cosmology :colondollar: but maybe i'll change my mind when i study something new there :biggrin:

Oooo same! particle physics is what i wanted to study and i applied to southampton to their particle physics course but when i visited i did not like the uni as i had hoped. yeah i agree, you'll find an area you enjoy when you study it :tongue:

Latest