The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Physics P4P5P6 - 18/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benwalters1996
So what was the answer?:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Knowing
What was the exact question asking for?

The question was something like what evidence is there to show that light is a wave? And there was a table beneath it where we had to tick the evidence that showed when light was a particle and when it was a wave under two columns- diffraction and reflection. I ticked particle and wave for reflection and only wave for diffraction. :cool:
Original post by NatashaG
anyone else run out of time? I ran out of time and lost out on 4 marks

never happened to me in an exam ever before

I was very close to running out of the time. It's the only exam this has happened to me too. Within the last 10 minutes I was rushing.
Reply 742
Original post by Notirem
So did I get 49% of the marks in the exam or 76%??????

I'm not sure what's tripping you up. Your UMS is your FINAL RESULT. Suppose the grade boundaries will be those you stated, your 49% will be converted to 76% UMS so your UMS Final Grade will be 76% - B.

UMS always has a fixed percent to get any grade, i.e.

A*= 90%
A = 80%
B = 70% ...etc.

Your Raw mark converts to UMS - this is different each year depending on how difficult the exam was. The more difficult it was, the higher the raw mark will be converted. That's why we refer to this as a Grade Boundary - any mark above a certain raw mark will warrant a UMS mark above the boundary of the UMS.

That's as much as I can explain - if you still don't understand I suggest looking it up on google.
It's so strange that I found this easiest out of all the science exams. I found chemistry and biology harder!
Reply 744
Original post by andersson
Ticking which phenomena proved which theories (wave/particle)

Surely that means it would be one tick per phenomena? Technically the same "phenomena" cannot prove two opposing theories at the same time?
Reply 745
Original post by Knowing
Surely that means it would be one tick per phenomena? Technically the same "phenomena" cannot prove two opposing theories at the same time?

Technically, yes they can

They don't necessarily 'prove' them, they're just evidence
Original post by Knowing

it was only a 1 mark question............................so can't be too complex.
Reply 747

So the question asked for evidence, not proof as you said before? Ah I don't even know any more. At least it was only 1 mark (not 2 marks please..)?
Original post by Knowing

It can. Reflections can happen in light (which is a wave) as it reflects off objects and enters your eyes; a red object absorbs all the colours in white light and reflects only red light. A sound "wave", which is made up of particles, can be used in an ultrasound scan where the sound reflects off different tissues in the body and is detected by the probe. :cool:
Reply 749
Original post by benwalters1996
it was only a 1 mark question............................so can't be too complex.

It wasn't complex, it was just a matter of ticking 3 boxes :tongue:
Reply 750
Thanks for explaining that but what I don't understand is whether I got 49% of the mark or 76% of the marks correct Sorry about the confusion and thank you for answering.
Original post by Knowing
I'm not sure what's tripping you up. Your UMS is your FINAL RESULT. Suppose the grade boundaries will be those you stated, your 49% will be converted to 76% UMS so your UMS Final Grade will be 76% - B.

UMS always has a fixed percent to get any grade, i.e.

A*= 90%
A = 80%
B = 70% ...etc.

Your Raw mark converts to UMS - this is different each year depending on how difficult the exam was. The more difficult it was, the higher the raw mark will be converted. That's why we refer to this as a Grade Boundary - any mark above a certain raw mark will warrant a UMS mark above the boundary of the UMS.

That's as much as I can explain - if you still don't understand I suggest looking it up on google.
Reply 751
Original post by BP_Tranquility
It can. Reflections can happen in light (which is a wave) as it reflects off objects and enters your eyes; a red object absorbs all the colours in white light and reflects only red light. A sound "wave", which is made up of particles, can be used in an ultrasound scan where the sound reflects off different tissues in the body and is detected by the probe. :cool:

What I meant was one piece of evidence can't prove two theories that cannot both be correct. If the question asked for evidence, then it can.
Reply 752
Original post by Notirem
Thanks for explaining that but what I don't understand is whether I got 49% of the mark or 76% of the marks correct Sorry about the confusion and thank you for answering.

No worries - if that was the case, your final grade would be the UMS, which would be 76% - B.
Original post by Knowing
What I meant was one piece of evidence can't prove two theories that cannot both be correct. If the question asked for evidence, then it can.

But reflections does prove that both theories- that light acts as a particle and a wave- is correct because both theories explain how and why reflections occur...Just like how General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics are both different theories, but clash and are not compatible with each other, yet they're both correct... :tongue:

I might be overthinking it though, oh well, it was only one or two marks :rolleyes:
Reply 754
So what did everyone get for the Vector and Scalar question?
What I got:

Vectors: Velocity, Momentum, Weight
Scalars: Speed, Mass
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Knowing
So what did everyone get for the Vector and Scalar question?
What I got:

Vectors: Velocity, Momentum, Weight
Scalars: Speed, Mass

I did the same as you :biggrin:
I wasn't too sure on momentum but then I thought about how momentum can be positive or negative, which indicated direction, so I then concluded it was a vector (wasn't completely certain though :tongue: )... :smile:
Reply 756
Original post by BP_Tranquility
But reflections does prove that both theories- that light acts as a particle and a wave- is correct because both theories explain how and why reflections occur...Just like how General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics are both different theories, but clash and are not compatible with each other, yet they're both correct... :tongue:

I might be overthinking it though, oh well, it was only one or two marks :rolleyes:

...I'm starting to feel taking Physics A-level was a mistake
Original post by Knowing

same after today I have totally rethought my entire life....I was going to do physics A-level and a physics degree now I'm not sure at all !!!!
Original post by Knowing

Haha, but it's still fairly interesting though :tongue:
You may find this intriguing and lift your spirits:
[video="youtube;DfPeprQ7oGc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc[/video]
So in general how did everyone find it? Are we thinking low grade boundaries? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending