The Student Room Group

how many hayfever tablets can I take in one day?

Hi

Hayfever is driving me crazy atm. I can't stop sniffing/ sneezing/ coughing and only seem to sleep for about an hour at a time before one of the symptoms wake me up again.

I take OTC cetirizine hydrochloride (sp?) 10mg. I took one about 10:30ish this morning and another at about 4. I'm still struggling. This has happened for a few days now and I'm fed up. Basically, all I do is lie down and drift in and out of sleep. Can I take more tablets? I hate feeling like this! I saw that 2 tablets is safe but I don't want to go past that until I know for sure. I would go and ask at the chemist but it's a mile away through plant filled fields! (and I'm in bed now :tongue:)

What's the max amount I can have in one day.

Scroll to see replies

My doctor told me that 2 of the one a day cetirizine (I just checked the label, they're the 10mg ones), spaced 12 hours apart was fine, and also the same with loratadine (the other popular one, I get a box of 14 of each for 89p each in Home Bargains). If you take one cetirizine and then a loratadine about 2 hours apart in the morning, you can do the same before bed for maximum relief to help you sleep.
Also, my doctor told me to shower before bed or just wash myself down and change my clothes if it's still the middle of the day if you've been outside, to get the allergens off.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

Hayfever is driving me crazy atm. I can't stop sniffing/ sneezing/ coughing and only seem to sleep for about an hour at a time before one of the symptoms wake me up again.

I take OTC cetirizine hydrochloride (sp?) 10mg. I took one about 10:30ish this morning and another at about 4. I'm still struggling. This has happened for a few days now and I'm fed up. Basically, all I do is lie down and drift in and out of sleep. Can I take more tablets? I hate feeling like this! I saw that 2 tablets is safe but I don't want to go past that until I know for sure. I would go and ask at the chemist but it's a mile away through plant filled fields! (and I'm in bed now :tongue:)

What's the max amount I can have in one day.

It will say the maximum amount you can take on the packet. Taking more than the recommended dose won't help your hayfever, it'll just send you to sleep!
If the recommended dose isn't working then you might need a different type. There are so many anti-histamines that don't work for me. Different ones work for different people. For a while the only ones that worked for me where the Benadryl original ones (not the one a day). You really need to try a different one.

Also tips that don't involve extra drugs:
-Get a nasal spray, they work really well and don't make you drowsy
-Wear sunglasses to stop pollen getting in your eyes
-Rinse your face every hour or so to wash the pollen off it

Hope you feel better soon :smile:
Reply 3
my allergy consultant said 6.... BUT my gp who ive been to a few times in the last week for hayfever said I shouldn't do that because the effeects haven't been studied (heart issues etc) and prescribed me an alternative stronger medication.

If it's realy bad visit your GP?

Also, why did you make your post anonymous?!
Reply 4
Get an appointment with your doctor and they can give you some prescription hay fever tablets which are a god send!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by therisenmitten
It will say the maximum amount you can take on the packet. Taking more than the recommended dose won't help your hayfever, it'll just send you to sleep!

My doctor told me that the non-drowsy hayfever tablets (cetirizine and loratadine) only last 12 hours, so to double the 'one a day' dose given, and it won't cause any problems. And you can take both at the same time (although spacing it out will give longer lasting relief)
If they're the ones that make you drowsy though, definitely don't double the dose of those, they're the kind that could kill you much more easily if you take too many.
Reply 6
Original post by therisenmitten
If the recommended dose isn't working then you might need a different type. There are so many anti-histamines that don't work for me. Different ones work for different people. For a while the only ones that worked for me where the Benadryl original ones (not the one a day). You really need to try a different one.

Also tips that don't involve extra drugs:
-Get a nasal spray, they work really well and don't make you drowsy
-Wear sunglasses to stop pollen getting in your eyes
-Rinse your face every hour or so to wash the pollen off it

Hope you feel better soon :smile:

This.

though I went to my gp and they gave me a nose spray with a different antihistamine so I could top up if the tablet wasn't working....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Don't take more than what's recommended. Trust me.
Reply 8
Get loratadine and nasal spray... Well that's what I've got anyway, and it seems to work, however I think the spray is a multipurpose thing as I have a ridiculous problem with nosebleeds so I use the spray for that too... Anyway..

loratadine = Winning
Reply 9

I'll try using two together, that's a good idea. Usually only cetirizine works for me but maybe two together could help. Unfortunately I've thrown the box away for what I've got.

I shower twice a day, was my bedding once a week, wear wrap around sunglasses and jeep my hair in a bun. Unfortunately I live in the middle of the countryside so the stuff's everywhere!

I had a nasal thing once but that didn't help either. I'll try to get another one though- I'd forgotten about them!

I'm not currently registered with a gp at home. I got back from uni a week ago and tried to register, but you have to also have an appointment with a doctor for a general health thing. The soonest one they had was in 3 weeks, when I'm on holiday. The receptionist said they can't book more than a month in advance so I'd have to try again when I got back. The other health centre in my area works thr same way unfortunately. I could go back up to uni, but it's a 3 hour train :frown:

Would a walk in centre be appropriate or not?

Haha anon because my sister is on here and she'd tell my mum I'm asking for advice on the internet, which would lead to me being lectured and shouted out for about 3 hours.
Reply 10
Walk in centre should work, worse they'll do is not give you anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try using two together, that's a good idea. Usually only cetirizine works for me but maybe two together could help. Unfortunately I've thrown the box away for what I've got.

I shower twice a day, was my bedding once a week, wear wrap around sunglasses and jeep my hair in a bun. Unfortunately I live in the middle of the countryside so the stuff's everywhere!

I had a nasal thing once but that didn't help either. I'll try to get another one though- I'd forgotten about them!

I'm not currently registered with a gp at home. I got back from uni a week ago and tried to register, but you have to also have an appointment with a doctor for a general health thing. The soonest one they had was in 3 weeks, when I'm on holiday. The receptionist said they can't book more than a month in advance so I'd have to try again when I got back. The other health centre in my area works thr same way unfortunately. I could go back up to uni, but it's a 3 hour train :frown:

Haha anon because my sister is on here and she'd tell my mum I'm asking for advice on the internet, which would lead to me being lectured and shouted out for about 3 hours.

With the nasal spray make sure you use it twice a day and don't miss a dose. The pharmacist told me that they build up on your nose, so they might not work for the first few days. Maybe that's why you didn't get on with it before. I think they're really good!
Reply 12

The person that said lotaradine = win, it doesn't work like that, differnet medicines work on different people. For me only ceterizine works, lotaradine has precisely nil effect.

You can try a walk in but your GP should let you register as a temporary patient without a health check. If not, then the walk in will be fine.
Reply 13
Original post by Elcano
Don't take more than what's recommended. Trust me.

Why?
I have taken 5/day in the past and been fine, if anything better as I wasn't suffering with hayfever symptoms!
Reply 14
Original post by WhiteTea
Why?
I have taken 5/day in the past and been fine, if anything better as I wasn't suffering with hayfever symptoms!

You must have exceptionally weak tablets, then.

Just read the small print to find out what the possible repercussions can be. It ain't pretty.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that by taking more you actually increase the symptoms when you DON'T take tablets. That's not what I want to do.
Reply 15
Original post by Elcano
You must have exceptionally weak tablets, then.

Just read the small print to find out what the possible repercussions can be. It ain't pretty.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that by taking more you actually increase the symptoms when you DON'T take tablets. That's not what I want to do.

I have normal ones from sains.

I didn't read the leaflet because my doctor told me to take 5+ because my histamine allergy effects me so much.

Enlighten me on the bad things. (Don't have a pack to hand)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Well if the doctor told you to, it's not more than you should take, right?

Still, those tablets have to be quite weak.
Reply 17
Original post by Elcano
Well if the doctor told you to, it's not more than you should take, right?

Still, those tablets have to be quite weak.

Well they are over the counter ones. The ones that cost c1£ for 14 in sainsburys. Tesco etc. so the ones most people take...

If you're saying they're not strong that may be so but they work for a large proportion of the hayfever suffering population

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

I don't know the tablets, but the ones I take (I don't live in the UK) I should only take once a day.

Anyway, that's really besides the point - the thing is, I was talking about taking more than what's recommended e.g. by a doctor. If he says that you should take five, by all means take five. The small print of my tablets tells me to take only one a day - I take one a day. Simple. ^^
Reply 19
Hi

Have you tried nasal sprays?

They don't work instantly, but after a couple of days they are GOLD

And they don't have the side effects of anti-histamines

Latest