The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Physics P4P5P6 - 18/06/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by Knowing
So what did everyone get for the Vector and Scalar question?
What I got:

Vectors: Velocity, Momentum, Weight
Scalars: Speed, Mass

Original post by BP_Tranquility
I did the same as you :biggrin:
I wasn't too sure on momentum but then I thought about how momentum can be positive or negative, which indicated direction, so I then concluded it was a vector (wasn't completely certain though :tongue: )... :smile:

Yay I chose those too :smile:
Original post by andersson
Yay I chose those too :smile:

Weight is a vector right? Phew :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 762
Original post by benwalters1996
Weight is a vector right? Phew :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's a force which has a direction too - so vector :smile:
Reply 763
That's fairly impressive doing 6 AS levels :wink:

No idea which modules I'll be doing :tongue:...Is it possible to do (apart from the mandatory modules) to do only mechanics as your options, or do you have to do statistics and decision modules as well? :smile:

Nope,,you can do purely mechanics modules -- but if you are doing FM with only Mechanics modules, you will struggle when you get to M5 :biggrin:
Original post by ryanb97
Nope,,you can do purely mechanics modules -- but if you are doing FM with only Mechanics modules, you will struggle when you get to M5 :biggrin:

Brilliant- might just do mechanics then :biggrin:

What's M5 about? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 765
Brilliant- might just do mechanics then :biggrin:

What's M5 about? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im not sure what its about...but i have heard from several people that it is by far the hardest module....in terms of content and understanding ..

Ryan
Reply 766
Ehhh so confused,was there a calculation question on transformers?:confused:
Reply 767
Original post by Knowing
What was the missing circuit thing?

It was 180m if I remember correctly

The missing circuit was a diode because it only allowed current in one direction
Reply 768
Original post by HR1996
Ehhh so confused,was there a calculation question on transformers?:confused:

It was that power is the same for output and input. So it was the VI=VI equation at the front.
Reply 769
Original post by sassqueen
It was that power is the same for output and input. So it was the VI=VI equation at the front.

thanks but i honestly don't remember this:confused: was it part of the 6 marker?
Reply 770
Original post by HR1996
thanks but i honestly don't remember this:confused: was it part of the 6 marker?

Yeah it was: it asked you to use a calculation in the answer. I was going to use the coil equation, but there was no info given on the primary coil turns - but it did give the current. So I used the equation VpIp=VsIs to work out the current at the second coil

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 771
Original post by Knowing
Yeah it was: it asked you to use a calculation in the answer. I was going to use the coil equation, but there was no info given on the primary coil turns - but it did give the current. So I used the equation VpIp=VsIs to work out the current at the second coil

Ahhh right thank youu,i was in a rush during the end so i must have not read it properly:angry: how many marks do u think i will lose bcz of this?:mad:

Original post by Knowing

Posted from TSR Mobile

230/5 = Primary/z

So Primary coils over 46 = turns on second coil
Reply 773
Original post by L'Evil Fish
230/5 = Primary/z

So Primary coils over 46 = turns on second coil

If that was what they wanted you to do, they wouldn't have given you the current through the primary coil (although this calculation may also be accepted)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Knowing
If that was what they wanted you to do, they wouldn't have given you the current through the primary coil (although this calculation may also be accepted)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the current as well
Original post by ryanb97
Im not sure what its about...but i have heard from several people that it is by far the hardest module....in terms of content and understanding ..

Ryan

Just looked through the specification now and M5 is all about inertia, kinetic energy, angular momentum, pendulum, motion of particles with varying mass, vectors etc. :smile:

If it's that difficult, I might have to switch to statistics...But to do a statistics module in further maths, you have to have done S1 I assume in normal maths, so instead of doing Mechanics 1 to 4, I'll only be able to do Mechanics 1 to 3, and Statistics 1 and 2...

Might have confused myself there, oh well, only time will tell :cool:
Just looked through the specification now and M5 is all about inertia, kinetic energy, angular momentum, pendulum, motion of particles with varying mass, vectors etc. :smile:

If it's that difficult, I might have to switch to statistics...But to do a statistics module in further maths, you have to have done S1 I assume in normal maths, so instead of doing Mechanics 1 to 4, I'll only be able to do Mechanics 1 to 3, and Statistics 1 and 2...

Might have confused myself there, oh well, only time will tell :cool:

In maths there's 4 core units and 2 additional ones?
Isn't it the same in further? In that case you have 5...not 4..additional units?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 777
Original post by benwalters1996
In maths there's 4 core units and 2 additional ones?
Isn't it the same in further? In that case you have 5...not 4..additional units?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's only one compulsory module in further maths (FP1).
Reply 778
Original post by Knowing

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure it asked how you would construct it, so they were probably looking for the number of turns :cool:
Original post by andersson
I'm pretty sure it asked how you would construct it, so they were probably looking for the number of turns :cool:

In the old past papers, by "construct", they meant which transformer would have more turns in the coil of wire... :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending