The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by shannonsnelling
What would you say tesco's culture is? :colondollar: :colondollar: :colondollar:

Lol i'm actually not sure... that was a stupid suggestion :/ sorry
Original post by nadster
Lol i'm actually not sure... that was a stupid suggestion :/ sorry

That's okay!!!

The only one i though could be, was marks and spencer, because they are now really focused on ethical considerations! But i could find what they were really focused on before!!!!! :L
Reply 682
Original post by rubix1
Retrenchement by getting rid of Symbian.
Focused product development and new Nokia Lumia allowed Nokia to gain profits for the forst time in years (q4 2012)

thanks a lot, would it be sensible to say he adopted a risk taking culture? as the press around the time was against getting rid of Symbian but he still went ahead with it or could i link that with scientific and hunch based decision making?
Original post by shannonsnelling
so worried about this exam!!! i spent so much time revising for maths and psychology that i've hardly done any business revision! :frown:

can anyone think of a business which has changed its culture but not had a new leader? :s-smilie:

My teacher told me to just stay away from this question!!!
Really struggling on essay structure, how do we implement the research into our answer?
How is everyone going to spend the day before the exam revising? My plan is to really nail and remember my research and i hope to do around 2 hours of pure exam practice. Maybe go over CSR, Culture and leadership one more time aswell.
Reply 686
Original post by Infamous12
How is everyone going to spend the day before the exam revising? My plan is to really nail and remember my research and i hope to do around 2 hours of pure exam practice. Maybe go over CSR, Culture and leadership one more time aswell.

That sounds like a good plan. I'll probably do the same. Memorise my factfiles. Find extra examples on the PEST section B stuff. Etc
Reply 687
Original post by nadster
That sounds like a good plan. I'll probably do the same. Memorise my factfiles. Find extra examples on the PEST section B stuff. Etc

Original post by Infamous12

Same here memorise research / more research for section b / exam practice then no more Buss4..........Hopefully:biggrin:
Reply 688
Original post by iggyDash
Same here memorise research / more research for section b / exam practice then no more Buss4..........Hopefully:biggrin:

Hahah yeaaaaah. I hope we all get As
Does anyone have a plan for ' Are cultural differences within an organisaton an opportunity or threat?'

Reply 690
Original post by andyjack94
Does anyone have a plan for ' Are cultural differences within an organisaton an opportunity or threat?'

By cultural differences do you mean subcultures or a unique culture?
Original post by nadster
By cultural differences do you mean subcultures or a unique culture?

Yeah!

E.g of threat = Barings and Nick Leeson
Reply 692
Just read something on a website that says Starbucks has a culture of customer ownership..... what does this mean?
Reply 693
Yeah!

E.g of threat = Barings and Nick Leeson

Im so confused :confused: which are you saying yeah to?
Original post by nadster
Im so confused :confused: which are you saying yeah to?

sorry completely misread your question. I believe it means subcultures!
Reply 695
sorry completely misread your question. I believe it means subcultures!

Well in that case, I'd have a lot more to say about it being a threat than an opportunity.
Barclays would be a perfect example of this.
My main point about why it would be a threat would probably be the fact that the culture of an organisation will lack alignment if subcultures exist. i would then analyse this
you could say though that allowing subculture to form and develop would highlight a problem to the leaders of a business regarding how the business is run. This may encourage a company to make reforms that result in long-term benefits like Jenkins' Project Transform. this creates a long term benefit
not really sure what else
Original post by nadster
Well in that case, I'd have a lot more to say about it being a threat than an opportunity.
Barclays would be a perfect example of this.
My main point about why it would be a threat would probably be the fact that the culture of an organisation will lack alignment if subcultures exist. i would then analyse this
you could say though that allowing subculture to form and develop would highlight a problem to the leaders of a business regarding how the business is run. This may encourage a company to make reforms that result in long-term benefits like Jenkins' Project Transform. this creates a long term benefit
not really sure what else
/

could you think of anything of how it is an opportunity? other than the company transforming? :confused::confused:
Reply 697
Original post by sofiax0
/

could you think of anything of how it is an opportunity? other than the company transforming? :confused::confused:

I really don't know whether this is right, but you could say that although subcultures create inequality in the workplace and prevent the alignment of culture, there may be a positive motivational impact. (this may seem stupid, but bear with me lol). If you take Barclays as an example, where the people at the top are getting paid bonuses worth millions, whilst the people at the bottom of the hierarchy are on minimum wage, there may be an incentive for these people at the bottom to work harder in order to work their way up. This should increase the productivity of workers, etc...
Maybe?
(edited 10 years ago)
Are cultural differences within an organisation an opportunity or threat to business success?

I literally can't think of any businesses to relate for/against this.. Any suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nadster
I really don't know whether this is right, but you could say that although subcultures create inequality in the workplace and prevent the alignment of culture, there may be a positive motivational impact. (this may seem stupid, but bear with me lol). If you take Barclays as an example, where the people at the top are getting paid bonuses worth millions, whilst the people at the bottom of the hierarchy are on minimum wage, there may be an incentive for these people at the bottom to work harder in order to work their way up. This should increase the productivity of workers, etc...
Maybe?

ah no thats actually a really good point!! like really original! i hope we wouldn't get a question like that, it's quite narrow i think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending