The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS 4 - Corporate Culture Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
company examples of subcultures?
Reply 721
Can someone please help : 2 sucessful business due to goo leaddership and 2 unsucessful busineses due to leadership

Thank you
Reply 722
Original post by moko
Can someone please help : 2 sucessful business due to goo leaddership and 2 unsucessful busineses due to leadership

Thank you

successful: starbucks, google, apple and southwest airlines
unsuccessful: barclays, enron and british airways
Reply 723
Last big day

going through the spec today
Original post by andyjack94
My teacher told me to just stay away from this question!!!

what do you mean? that it won't come up or? :s-smilie:
From what I've read on this thread the most popular structure is '2 for 2 against'. That could be suitable for a simple question like "To what extent do you think that the external environment in the UK is favorable for businesses at the moment?" (Jan 2013 Q3)

The structure would therefore be:
- Intro
- 1st point for
- 2nd point for
- 3rd point for (depending on time and detail of previous points)
- 1st point against
- 2nd point against
- 3rd point against (depending on time and detail of previous points)
- Conclusion

However how would you structure a question like "Assess the value of corporate plans in enabling a business to achieve its corporate aims and objectives. Evaluate the various stages of the corporate planning process and how each stage contributes to the effectiveness of the overall plan". (A question my teacher asked me in class, or will that type of question not come up?)

Also, recently in the BUSS4 exam, they have been asking questions with two topics in it as opposed to one so how would you go about answering that with the '2 for 2 against' approach? Would you then do 4 for & 2 or 4 against or 2 for (one topic each & 2 against)
how is south west airlines culture successful? :frown:
Reply 727
Guys, do you have any examples of business where the culture does NOT derive from the leader?
Reply 728
Anyone have notes on HSBC they could share? Comparing them to barclays please

THANKS
Reply 729
Original post by CubePL
Guys, do you have any examples of business where the culture does NOT derive from the leader?

Barclays (previously) possibly, because all employees wanted their own way
Original post by shannonsnelling
what do you mean? that it won't come up or? :s-smilie:

no that it is an awkward and hard question better off spending time on others
Reply 731
Original post by rubix1
Barclays (previously) possibly, because all employees wanted their own way

You mean previously as under Bob Diamond's leadership? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bonus culture derived from him giving out bonuses to the top management for doing nothing. However, the culture at the lower levels of management was turning toxic as the people down the hierarchy didn't really get any instructions.
Reply 732
Original post by amieeallen
how is south west airlines culture successful? :frown:

2012: Profits (excluding special items) of $417 million represent 40th consecutive year of profitability for SWA.

2012: Total operating revenue: $17.1 billion
Southwest has lower unit costs (adjusted for stage length), on average, than virtually all major domestic airlines and consistently has one of the best overall Customer Service records.

2012: 85.96% departures on-time.

2012: SWA is leading in the market for lowest customers complaints - 0.25 per 100,000 passangers

The company experiences extremely low staff turnover.
Original post by Kemz
company examples of subcultures?

barclays, mid-staffordshrie hospital
Original post by CubePL

John Lewis arguably, because all employees are partners, so their culture derives on teamwork and togetherness in the sense that they all work hard together to achieve rewards.

Royal mail also before Moya Greene to a certain extent because before she was there the employees were resistant to change and took industrial action, so this meant that the leaders weren't that powerful at influencing the culture of the business, because obv they didnt encourage that kind of behaviour. that may be a bit of a stretch though :confused:
Reply 735
globalisation examples please?
Original post by iggyDash
globalisation examples please?

Tesco / Starbucks are what i'm planning to use for globalisation :smile:
Reply 738
Original post by Kemz
successful: starbucks, google, apple and southwest airlines
unsuccessful: barclays, enron and british airways

thanks
Original post by CubePL

I guess you could use Ryan Air, since they're driven heavily by their objectives and low budget?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending