The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2780
Original post by Alotties
Not too bad!
I ran out of time so I didn't get to check my answers.
There were a few that were a bit strange but I just tried my best and put educated guesses when my brain failed :tongue:
How did you find it?

I think it was much better than january but I didn't like the weird random questions like the trans fats and the TMS...found them hard to word
Original post by Brad0440
Like this?

My benzene ring was attached to the C with the two methyl groups instead of the C with the double bond :O Will I get marks for it?
Original post by Taimmi
...did anyone else notice the mistake?

We had a notice read out for it. The typo 'identity' instead if 'identify' right?
Original post by ihatepeople37
at least 5

Original post by Gulzar
Quite a lot I'm afraid because the structure itself will be worth at least half of the available marks.

Really? At most i would lose 3 marks i think because only 3 marks are given for identifying the structure if you look at previous past papers. And i may gain some marks out of those 3 because i got the methyl groups and the benzene ring.
Reply 2784
Original post by Myocardium
Yesss!!! Was a benzene ring attached to a C; the C was attached to an O and C=O on one side and the other two sides had a methyl group each. So surprised I managed to get it seeing as I have NEVER managed to construct a molecule from NMR before.

The C=O was attached to a C with 1H and 2 Methyl groups I think :/
Reply 2785
Original post by ihatepeople37
Oh ****.... was it not phenol instead of benzene?

I don't think so, because then there would have been 3 oxygens and the molecular formula was C10H12O2
I think there was a lot in this exam to trick people out actually, i didn't think it was that easy
Reply 2787
We had a notice read out for it. The typo 'identity' instead if 'identify' right?

Yeah, we had that too. But we think there was another one in the percentage yield question.
Reply 2788
What did anyone get for the percentage yield question?
I got CH((CH3)2)C6H4COOH for the last one. Anyone else get this? The carbon 13 spectra did not show a C-O so it couldn't of been an ester, no?. Also 4x Aromatic environments. Agh. Think i messed it up lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2790
My benzene ring was attached to the C with the two methyl groups instead of the C with the double bond :O Will I get marks for it?

I think ur right :biggrin: That's what I got too because of the splitting it has to be like that
Reply 2791
Did anyone get something like this for one of the questions? (I think it was something to do with an ester forming and then a small, inorganic compound (i.e. water))
Original post by SLAYERRR
What did anyone get for the percentage yield question?

63.5% You?
Reply 2793
Original post by andywilliamsRPGT
I got CH(CH3)C6H4COOH for the last one. Anyone else get this? The carbon 13 spectra did not show a C-O so it couldn't of been an ester, no?. Also 4x Aromatic environments. Agh. Think i messed it up lol

One of the peaks linked to -COO
Reply 2794
63.5% You?

That's what I got :biggrin:
Reply 2795
Original post by Brad0440
I don't think so, because then there would have been 3 oxygens and the molecular formula was C10H12O2

no i think the alcohol making up the ester was phenol. the ester group is the opposite way round to what everyone is saying. O was attached to the C on benzene
Reply 2796
Original post by dadams2
no i think the alcohol making up the ester was phenol. the ester group is the opposite way round to what everyone is saying. O was attached to the C on benzene

I agree :smile: It was C6H5OOCH(CH3)2
Original post by Bazuka
One of the peaks linked to -COO

I thought that peak was a C6H5C(H) peak.
I initially thought there was a mistake on percentage yield as I thought the Mr given for compound e was wrong, talking to a friend after I realised I treated the bond coming out of the paper as an h when it was ch3, meaning the Mr of 160 was correct. I got 61.9 percent or something but I don't think that's right
Reply 2799
The invigilator didn't have any but luckily a couple of students forgot their rulers and one student had a spare ruler so was fine. Dod you get 0.58 for the Rf value?

Yeahhh :biggrin: what did you think about the paper?

Latest

Trending

Trending