The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bulbasaur
Silly mistakes in a maths exam. An exam that was actually quite easy...

Tbh I'm probably being melodramatic but I'm kind of relying on luck now.

I really hope you make it! Don't worry yourself, I'm sure you'll have done fine and far better than you think :smile:
Original post by CLS94
I really hope you make it! Don't worry yourself, I'm sure you'll have done fine and far better than you think :smile:

The worst part is, I think I literally missed it by 1-2 raw marks :frown: Hoping for my geography and history results to be good xD
Silly mistakes in a maths exam. An exam that was actually quite easy...

Tbh I'm probably being melodramatic but I'm kind of relying on luck now.

C4? I quite literally feel your pain, dropped way more marks than I could afford to. And what is even more frustrating is that I only needed 82 in C4 for an A* overall, but now it seems that I may even end up with a B. I probably lost 12 marks in 7b and 8b alone.
Original post by Buongiorno
C4? I quite literally feel your pain, dropped way more marks than I could afford to. And what is even more frustrating is that I only needed 82 in C4 for an A* overall, but now it seems that I may even end up with a B. I probably lost 12 marks in 7b and 8b alone.

Yup. Damn, what did you do in each part? In 7b I made the mistake everyone else did by making dy/dx = 0 and so got -6,3 so max looking at 3-4/7 there (I really don't think they'd be too harsh here from past experience) and probably 1/5 on 8b as all I did correctly was find the lengths of the sides. So at best 67 really, with 90 in C3 im probably going to miss it by a small amount :/

If you did the same thing as me on 7b then im convinced we'll get at least 3 - countless times ive been told on here that I wouldn't get marks for questions that I've done slightly wrong, but for C3 I got 90 which given the mistakes I made wouldve been impossible according to what people said on TSR...

If grade boundaries are nice there's a chance I guess. Hopefully Cambridge aren't mean enough to reject if you miss a grade by literally 2 UMS though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2924
Hopefully Cambridge aren't mean enough to reject if you miss a grade by literally 2 UMS though.

Then where's the cut off?

If scoring 2 below the requirement is deemed allowable, it's a very simple proof by induction that a score of 0 is sufficient to matriculate!
Guys just curious..If your offer is A*AA and you get A*A*B???
what would happen?
Original post by FO12DY

If scoring 2 below the requirement is deemed allowable, it's a very simple proof by induction that a score of 0 is sufficient to matriculate!

I think you've been doing too much maths to be honest....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FO12DY

Wayyy...to much maths :tongue: Besides it's two below a fixed point.
Original post by bananarama2

He should try telling that to the people studying maths there who didn't get 1,1 in STEP :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2929

Yes but bananananaramamarara, the two below a fixed point becomes a new fixed point!

Person A is let in for missing 90 by two, gets 88.

If this is allowed, essentially we're saying the actual boundary or fixed point that we make the decision at is 88.

Person B gets 86 (or 87, or whatever you like) - now she's peeved, because she only missed out on the deal A got - by only two points!

But it's only two, so we can allow that, right? Boundary becomes 86.

I scored 84, so I want in...
LotF unfortunately scored zero, but since the boundary was lowered to 2 when DJ missed the boundary of 4 by only two points, he's allowed in too!

Happy families :smile:

(And please, please, Cambridge Assessment/respective Colleges, apply this flawed logic to STEP results!)
Original post by FO12DY
Yes but bananananaramamarara, the two below a fixed point becomes a new fixed point!

Person A is let in for missing 90 by two, gets 88.

If this is allowed, essentially we're saying the actual boundary or fixed point that we make the decision at is 88.

Person B gets 86 (or 87, or whatever you like) - now she's peeved, because she only missed out on the deal A got - by only two points!

But it's only two, so we can allow that, right? Boundary becomes 86.

I scored 84, so I want in...
LotF unfortunately scored zero, but since the boundary was lowered to 2 when DJ missed the boundary of 4 by only two points, he's allowed in too!

Happy families :smile:

(And please, please, Cambridge Assessment/respective Colleges, apply this flawed logic to STEP results!)

You wish :wink:
:creep:
What exam are we suggesting I got 2 marks on? :ninja:
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
:creep:

Pfft. Return home :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes
What exam are we suggesting I got 2 marks on? :ninja:

Seeing as I can't ask about a certain exam I'll ask how C4 went :tongue:
Pfft. Return home :tongue:

:biggrin:
I was just lurking on the fb page (as I have been doing all year) and started spotting TSR people everywhere! I feel so sleuth-y :holmes::holmes:
Original post by gabriejike
what would happen?

That would not be sufficient for making the offer, so it would be at the discretion of the college as to whether they would accept you. I know of someone who was in this situation and was still accepted by their college.
Original post by gabriejike
what would happen?
Your tutor(s) for your subject at your college would decide whether or not to let you in. If they decide no then you may be put in the summer pool, where another college can potentially pick you up. If another college doesn't pick you up, or you aren't placed in the pool at all, then you are not going to Cambridge.

I think the summer pool is rarely used outside of maths though.

(Btw, this is the same for any university. If you miss your offer then it's up to the University in regards as to whether or not to take you. Normally if you miss the offer by one grade you'll be let in. However, Cambridge are normally quite adamant about people getting the A* (especially if that's the subject they will be studying).
Original post by Caitlin_dj
I was just lurking on the fb page (as I have been doing all year) and started spotting TSR people everywhere! I feel so sleuth-y :holmes::holmes:

To be fair, some of us make it more obvious than others. I've certainly noticed a couple.

Latest

Trending

Trending