The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2860
Original post by Myocardium
What did people put for the test for carboxyl groups? I put tollens then crossed it out and put 24dnph and bradys reagent which causes orange precip. if aldehyde or ketone present and none if carboxylic acid.

Yes, 2,4-dnph is correct. Orange precipitate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2861
question 1 part b) how many products of hydrolysis did you get? and were they all carboxylic acid salts?
Reply 2862
Original post by Myocardium
Anyone put adsorption for one of the TLC qs?

i did
Reply 2863
Original post by AdeF6
question 1 part b) how many products of hydrolysis did you get? and were they all carboxylic acid salts?

2? And yes
Reply 2864
Original post by AdeF6
i did

Me three!
im sure the equation was aminophenol + br2-----> the dibromoaminophenol complex +h2 ? anyone it balanced when I counted it
Reply 2866
Original post by Onkar-M
Me three!

Me four...

Also does anybody know if Brady's reagent on its own be okay for the mark for the chemical test
Reply 2867
Original post by keepontrying
im sure the equation was aminophenol + br2-----> the dibromoaminophenol complex +h2 ? anyone it balanced when I counted it

That's what I put, 2Hs are eliminated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2868
for the last question, is this a thing?Untitled.png
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371637844.517896.jpg
Isn't this the answer for the last question? Someone else has the ester functional group the wrong way round

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2870
Original post by keepontrying

I put 2Br2 for the reactant and 2Hbr for the other product
Original post by D4rth

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did you do for the mechanism , just the usual electrophilliic sub right? and leaving BR- at the end?
Reply 2872
Original post by Meee.
2? And yes

good. same (:
Original post by D4rth

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put the amine+ 2Br2 -> given structure + 2hbr
Reply 2874
Original post by quickcooltiger
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371637844.517896.jpg
Isn't this the answer for the last question? Someone else has the ester functional group the wrong way round

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is the correct way, O should be next to the benzene.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2875
Original post by Meee.

I put 2HBr as a product too
Original post by Meee.

there were only 2br on the product
Original post by Meee.

That's what i got :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom.C
This is what I got for the NMR one at the end, how many marks do you think I will get for it?

nmr.jpg

Apart from that I am hoping it went okay, I struggled on the diazotisation one but then after reading the question it was obvious, I am guessing CuI was the reagent!

1,2,3 propan- tri - ol was the systematic name I put. apart from that I didn't see any curveballs, hoping I did well but there is always a way to mess up exams and I am sure I have found it, any unofficial mark schemes being made?

I got that at first but then I think I changed it because the peak for the HC-C=O had a relative peak area of 1 which meant it had a H attached to the C, so if the ester group was stretched to the benzene ring there couldn't be a H in that area. I'm not sure if I'm right though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2879
Original post by mathslover1
I put the amine+ 2Br2 -> given structure + 2hbr

Hmm, now I think about it that's what is is usually for phenol and bromine, so I'm thinking that might've been correct :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile